Whose Career Would You Most Want to Emulate?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Nathan Bransford did this a while ago, but I thought it'd be fun to do a YA AW version (that is, unless it's been done before, in which case feel free to ignore this post?).

So, which YA writer's career would you most want to emulate? Actually it doesn't even have to be a YA writer, though I figured since we write YA etc. etc.

Also deets on why :)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm I think I would want to be like Cassandra Claire. She has travelled everywhere, gets to write about hunky guys and independent heroines, and most importantly spends her days doing writerly things. Ohhhh that would be the life.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
Rowlings! I want a franchise! Movies, Video Games, bookshop openening at midnight to sell my books, forums just about my work, 300 000 fanfictions. Yes!

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Roald Dahl perhaps, his work is very creative and his life story amazing.

Ooh, good answer. His wartime autobiography was great, and I love that he wrote dark, twisted things back when most stuff was fluffy and light in the YA market. Somehow, he got away with it.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Awww... You stole my Rowling answer! LOL! I want movies too!

Writing wise I guess I were as talented as China Mieville. Career-wise, whoe ever is roling in money. Stephen King and Nicholas Sparks jump to mind.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Jerry Spinelli or John Green or Laurie Halse Anderson, maybe. Because every single one of their books is excellent. That's my ultimate dream. To have multiple books published, with each one better than the last.

piano_island

Registered
Reaction score
Meg Cabot. She has a steady career and manages to put out books like crazy every year. I'd like to be able to think up multiple plots and finish my manuscript in a DECENT amount of time. While her genre isn't what I typically read, her books are fun and they're actually good (I was surprised that I liked the entire Princess Diaries series...I love horror, I'm writing horror/dark fantasy). Not to mention that her personality seems approachable. I wouldn't mind being that awesome of an author.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Rowlings! I want a franchise! Movies, Video Games, bookshop openening at midnight to sell my books, forums just about my work, 300 000 fanfictions. Yes!

Exactly!! She has everything because she has character love and a franchise. And she's humble and tries to good for charities, especially MS related ones since her mom died from that.

JK is my hero....

Hmmm. Jerry Spinelli or John Green or Laurie Halse Anderson, maybe. Because every single one of their books is excellent. That's my ultimate dream. To have multiple books published, with each one better than the last.

What I love about LHA is she can write ANYTHING! I adore Speak, and then I got Forge and Chains and OMG! She's brilliant!

Meg Cabot. She has a steady career and manages to put out books like crazy every year. I'd like to be able to think up multiple plots and finish my manuscript in a DECENT amount of time. While her genre isn't what I typically read, her books are fun and they're actually good (I was surprised that I liked the entire Princess Diaries series...I love horror, I'm writing horror/dark fantasy). Not to mention that her personality seems approachable. I wouldn't mind being that awesome of an author.

Meg is the same way that Laurie Halse Anderson is. She can write ANYTHING too! And her voice in the Princess Diaries is HILARIOUS!!

I'm surprised no one has said Smeyer for being able to turn ablsolute poo into a pot a gold! LOL Although I Twi bash, I still love the books and movies, and reading Twilight is what made me write YA, so I owe her props!

True

blue rain, na'vi dances, color code
Registered
Reaction score
North of East then West of South, now a little to
Someone who has a long career, but I don't know if I'd want to emulate anyone's career, just because I don't know the baggage that comes along with it. And isn't there always baggage?

Interesting answers.

tengraceapples

Registered
Reaction score
Jk rowling for sure.

She held true to her art.
Even among the crazy potter boom
She did not allow pressure to change her story
And the books & movies are amazing.

Close 2nd would be judy bloom

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I also love Laura Ingalls Wilder. When she moved to Missouri she had her own column in the local paper there before she wrote the Little House books.

There is a book called, "West from Home," it's letters to Almonzo when she was visiting their daughter in San Francisco at the turn of the century. It was before the earthquake. She has a pretty interesting biography too.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Maureen Johnson -- she's hilarious, but she pulls off serious subjects really well too. I love her characters and her writing, and also the way that she openly fights for gay rights, in her stories and in her daily life (blog/speaking/etc). Plus she gets to go to England loads. :)
I'm also a bit jealous of Justine Larbalestier and Scott Westerfeld, not only because they are both kickass writers and so cute together, but also cause they make enough from their writing alone to live 6 months of the year in the US and 6 months in Australia... Yay for avoiding winter all the time!

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Maureen Johnson -- she's hilarious, but she pulls off serious subjects really well too. I love her characters and her writing, and also the way that she openly fights for gay rights, in her stories and in her daily life (blog/speaking/etc).

Ditto!

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
oooh agreed, Rowling, or... I hesitate to say it: Meyer. Let's face it, she's probably a bajillionaire by now. Being a bajillionaire gives one the ability to do something one really loves. You know?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably Marilynne Robinson - write three perfect books. That would do me, nicely.

Last edited:

FalconStorm

just came home
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can agree with the S. Meyer ones. If we're going career-wise, well, her success is nice, but I don't see her going anywhere and besides, there are so many people who hate her. I'd rather be poor and loved than rich and hated.

I have to agree that JK Rowling has the best of both worlds.

Honestly, I think I'd like to be like Mercedes Lackey. She's got a nice fan base, makes enough off her writing to live on, keeps writing in several series and genres but isn't so famous that she has people making entire webpages to bash her.

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
Laurie Halse Anderson for the awesome writing cottage she has (youtube it...it's AMAZING!) or John Green for his following of nerd fighters! Love it!

Nightmirror

Not so happily ever after...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebornreality.com
I'm sort of split between two authors. And then there are two more I'm jealous of, but wouldn't want to exactly emulate either.

1.) J.K. Rowling: What she did with Harry Potter was truly magical and inspiring.
2.) J.R.R. Tolkien: How he created a world so vast is beyond me, and his works have and will always stand against the test of time.

Christopher Paolini (the guy who rewrote Star Wars) / Stephanie Meyer: Ewww, I'm so jealous how easy their books became so popular, despite the lack of originality and creativity on both their ends. Still, becoming a success in a short amount of time (6 months for Meyer) sounds quite appealing, even if it means having a few haters along the way...well, more than a few.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holly Black for unconventional romances. Troll/human!

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Dessen. She has a steady writing career, loyal fans, and have you read her blog? She's freaking adorable.