Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read the Gone series by Michael Grant? That has teens that develop X-Men type powers.

I think I've heard of that before, is that when people start disappearing?

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series?

I read the first trilogy...when it was supposed to be a trilogy but I haven't read the others.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for any YA Space Opera recs without romance as the main focus of the narrative. Ideally to be similar to the likes of the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film in terms of humour.

Have you tried Earthman Jack and the Ghost Planet by Matthew Kadish? It's a space adventure and has good humor in it as well. First book in a series.

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've heard of that before, is that when people start disappearing?

Yup. One day everyone over the age of 15 disappears, leaving all the kids in the town to fend for themselves. The kids basically live in a dome, completely cut off from the outside world, and then some of them start developing powers. It's very heroes/x-men in that each kid has one specific random thing they can do. Some are useful powers, some aren't.

The cast is diverse ethnically and socioeconomically. There's plenty of teen drama and life-threatening evil both from a monster-type antagonist and antagonists within the group of kids. So for what you're looking for, I think it's definitely one to check out.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
YA Horror Recs

I'm looking for some recomendations for YA Horror novels. I enjoy Horror alot( have several Horror novels not in the YA demo in various planning and drafting stages),and in the future plan on doing a YA Horror novel of my own.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some recomendations for YA Horror novels. I enjoy Horror alot( have several Horror novels not in the YA demo in various planning and drafting stages),and in the future plan on doing a YA Horror novel of my own.

ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD and sequel GIRL OF NIGHTMARES by Kendare Blake. There is a touch of Japanese Horror style to them, with extra gore and extra drama and a tragic ghost.

#

I'm looking for contemps in the vein of WE WERE LIARS and DANGEROUS GIRLS. I know about DANGEROUS BOYS coming out soon. I've also read COMPLICIT.
But something else maybe? Contemporary with a touch of thriller and a general mindscrew flavor.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for contemps in the vein of WE WERE LIARS and DANGEROUS GIRLS. I know about DANGEROUS BOYS coming out soon. I've also read COMPLICIT.
But something else maybe? Contemporary with a touch of thriller and a general mindscrew flavor.

Omg Cat Clarke. All of her novels are contemporary thriller-y and mindfuck-y. I loved ENTANGLED, TORN and A KISS IN THE DARK, and though UNDONE is her weakest for me I would still recommend it. She's probably my favourite YA writer right now.

Only problem is that her books are from the UK and aren't available in North America, as far as I've ever seen. I bought two of them when I went to the UK but I've had to buy the other two from Book Depository. But that's okay because Book Depository is awesome.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. One day everyone over the age of 15 disappears, leaving all the kids in the town to fend for themselves. The kids basically live in a dome, completely cut off from the outside world, and then some of them start developing powers. It's very heroes/x-men in that each kid has one specific random thing they can do. Some are useful powers, some aren't.

The cast is diverse ethnically and socioeconomically. There's plenty of teen drama and life-threatening evil both from a monster-type antagonist and antagonists within the group of kids. So for what you're looking for, I think it's definitely one to check out.

Nice! That definitely sounds cool, I definitely have to read it!!

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Any YA or MG non-dystopian scifi or science fantasy?

Haven't checked the entire thread yet, but I was wondering if there are any recs for YA/MG non-dystopian scifi or science fantasy?

I usually read MG or upper MG/YA, but my Barnes and Noble has a limited selection, especially in the Teens section. It's either fantasy, fairy tale retellings, mythological fantasy, urban/paranormal fantasy, or dystopian or post-apocalyptic scifi.

I have always loved fantasy, contemporary fantasy, and fairy tale retellings, but I would like some variety in my reading. I highly enjoyed the recent MG scifi "Pi in the Sky" by Wendy Mass, for example.

I remembered reading stuff like Animorphs or Goners or Coville, etc, for scifi when I was younger.

Science fantasy is fine, too. :)

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any YA books centered around mysteries, but also have a bit of interesting humor in them? Think Scooby Doo, but more modern.

It's very silly and predictable, but very good fun if you're in the mood, DEADLY COOL and SOCIAL SUICIDE by Gemma Halliday.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for more lyrical, literary YA stuff like We Were Liars and Jellicoe Road. Slightly warped sense of reality is a plus. Any books spring to mind?

Last edited:

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for more lyrical, literary YA stuff like We Were Liars and Jellicoe Road. Slightly warped sense of reality is a plus. Any books spring to mind?

These are both magical realism so they might have too strong of a warped sense of reality, but have you tried THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER or THE SCORPIO RACES? I wasn't a huge fan of Ava but the language is beautiful and I think both are worth a read if you haven't already.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any YA books centered around mysteries, but also have a bit of interesting humor in them? Think Scooby Doo, but more modern.

Maybe The Name of the Star (and it's sequel The Madness Underneath) by Maureen Johnson. They're ghost/mystery YA and Maureen Johnson always writes in a fun and fresh way.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm looking for recs on YA (and MG, I like that too) books with awesome families. When I say "awesome," I just mean unconventional. Quirky, unique, important to the story. Dynamics that make you both laugh out loud and cry like a baby. Contemporary is best. I feel like these are hard to find, so I'd love to know which ones you guys know. Thanks!

I just rec'd another Maureen Johnson book series, but her Suite Scarlett books come to mind for this too. It's about a family (parents + four kids) living in/running a hotel in New York City.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
fun vamps

I'm looking for fun/comedic YA vampire books. I've already read Peeps by Scott Westerfield and Fat Vampire by Adam Rex. I also have Thirsty by M. T. Anderson on my TBR-very-soon list. Not sure if that one is considered comedic or not...I guess I'll find out soon enough. Do any others come to mind?

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for fun/comedic YA vampire books. I've already read Peeps by Scott Westerfield and Fat Vampire by Adam Rex. I also have Thirsty by M. T. Anderson on my TBR-very-soon list. Not sure if that one is considered comedic or not...I guess I'll find out soon enough. Do any others come to mind?

I think the Vampire Academy books are pretty funny if you haven't read those. The overall tone is more melodramatic than comedic but I definitely think it's a fun series.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Vampire Academy books are pretty funny if you haven't read those. The overall tone is more melodramatic than comedic but I definitely think it's a fun series.

Thanks for the rec sofia.e, I haven't checked those out yet.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
I second the Vampire Academy series, that's exactly what popped to mind for me as well.

To be honest, that was right after my first thought which was to ironically suggest Twilight :p

AlexHale

Registered
Reaction score
I third the Vampire Academy recommendation. One of my favorite series- funny, action-packed, so much fun to read.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score

I just finished We Were Liars and loved it. Have you read anything by Nova Ren Suma? Imaginary Girls would fall into this category and 17 & Gone to a lesser extent. Also, a few months ago I read A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb which is a ghost story, really, but so, so good.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I third the Vampire Academy recommendation. One of my favorite series- funny, action-packed, so much fun to read.

Okay, I guess I should definitely check out Vampire Academy.

I thought of some other recs I wanted to ask about:

1. Are there any recently published YA that includes zines? I've read Girl Goddess #9 by Francesca Lia Block and Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger, but are there any others?

2. I recently read How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. I really liked the style of the writing and would like to read more books like it. I know I read one other book with a similar style - with no actual quotes for when characters talk, and I remember it was contemporary YA, the mc was male, and it took place in Australia, but now I can't remember what it was called/who it's by.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In THE GIRL IN THE ARENA, there are no quotes, but there are dashes. I've never seen anything like what you posted in the other thread, except maybe Portrait of an Artist.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished We Were Liars and loved it. Have you read anything by Nova Ren Suma? Imaginary Girls would fall into this category and 17 & Gone to a lesser extent. Also, a few months ago I read A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb which is a ghost story, really, but so, so good.
I loved Imaginary Girls and 17 & Gone is in my TBR pile. Will check out A Certain Slant of Light too. Thanks!

These are both magical realism so they might have too strong of a warped sense of reality, but have you tried THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER or THE SCORPIO RACES? I wasn't a huge fan of Ava but the language is beautiful and I think both are worth a read if you haven't already.
Thanks! I'll look them up.

Last edited:

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
Hello lovely awers! I have another book I'm in search of... Haven't read anything in a while that is YA. But I'm currently writing High Fantasy/Urban Fantasy. A modern boy is thrown into a fantasy world. Ah, much like Narnia series, but looking for some recs that are more recent. Maybe a book or series where the focus isn't solely the fantasy world, but shifts between them both. Or maybe it's strictly the modern world. Anyone read any books like this?