The next big thing

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The thing about thrillers being the next big thing is that a lot of them don't really have the series factor going for them.

Then I'm pulling for mysteries as the next big thing! I just wrote a murder mystery for NaNo and they can soooo easily become series. Just have the characters stumble upon another dead guy! Boom, new book.

Plus they're so fun and allow for so many quirky characters :)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Whatever the next big thing is, I bet it will have a girl in the center of a love triangle with two supernatural-type or just plain awesome boys. :)

That seems to be the common thread.

Unfortunately :( .

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm not a fan of it is all.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever the next big thing is, I bet it will have a girl in the center of a love triangle with two supernatural-type or just plain awesome boys. :)

That seems to be the common thread.

Nah. Harry Potter doesn't fit that bill and it was much more popular than hunger games.

Llayth

Registered
Reaction score
It's not usually the genre I run to but I'd actually like to see more Sci-Fi and Steampunk. I think it'll pave the way for some new imaginative space and steampunk worlds. My local bookstore's YA section is slowly being taken over by paranormal romance - they're taking up all the shelves!

Also, some parody. Like The Princess Bride and Terry Pratchett. I'd love to see a new author appear with witty words and a good sense of snarky humour.

jmlee

MIA
Registered
Reaction score
Also, some parody. Like The Princess Bride and Terry Pratchett. I'd love to see a new author appear with witty words and a good sense of snarky humour.

...Me too. Cuz that is the project of mine that my agent is pitching right now. Ha ha ha...

Though you know what? I got my first editor rejection on it and said ed essentially said it was "too intelligent/witty" for teens. Le sigh. You can't win 'em all.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
That's not true. Ron/Hermione/Lavender, Harry/Cho/Ginny. There are definite "will they won't they" romances going on in the series, just they aren't the constant focus.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
^true.
~~~~~~~~

^Yes. The agents I've been following aren't opposed to humor at all; some are asking for it or they'd love to see it. I'm working on a parody. It'd be cool for some downright laugh-your-ass-off books with great plot and storytelling as well. Especially after all the dystopia.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
That's not true. Ron/Hermione/Lavender, Harry/Cho/Ginny. There are definite "will they won't they" romances going on in the series, just they aren't the constant focus.

My point still stands. Harry Potter was just as popular as Twilight and Hunger games and it didn't center around a love triangle.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
To be fair, I don't know if you can even say Twilight's popularity centered around its love triangle. Certainly that was a large element in later years, but there was no love triangle in the first book. By the time New Moon came out and Jacob first appeared as a romantic interest, Twilight was already an international bestseller. The love triangle contributed, sure, but Twilight had legs without it.

The Hunger Games was really the first and only of the Big Three that built its emotional arc around a central love triangle. But then again, The Hunger Games also had a much tighter character focus than either Twilight or Harry Potter. Twilight and HP spent considerable time on the romances and personal lives of their supporting casts, whereas HG was very much the Katniss/Peeta/Gale story. They were all crafted a different way and so are apples and oranges - they weren't meant to be compared, and that's where analyzing them for a formula inevitably falls flat. Sure, you can pick out elements that fans responded favorably to in each of those series. But those books weren't successful because of those elements or even because of a particular combination of those elements - people responded to the stories, not a paint by numbers approach.

So really, I think the only thing we can predict about the next big thing is it'll be a story that people didn't see coming - it'll be a huge success because it'll resonate with readers on a personal level that can't be quantified. The only thing it'll likely have in common with HP, Twilight and HG is that it'll be a story readers feel like they've been waiting to read, without even realizing that's what they were wanting.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I hope people have a giant, sci-fi shaped hole in their lives that they simply don't recognize yet!

Jon King

less princes, more giant swords
Registered
Reaction score
I hope people have a giant, sci-fi shaped hole in their lives that they simply don't recognize yet!

HA! I like the way you think.

KalenO

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Actually I'm putting my money on the steampunk sci-fi western love triangle oriented action adventure time travel thriller with light paranormal and horror elements.

You heard it hear first.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm hoping "Written By Me" really takes off soon. It's my favorite genre.

jmlee

MIA
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take missesdash fiction for $500, Alex.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
Anyway, I'm hoping "Written By Me" really takes off soon. It's my favorite genre.

*stamp of approval*

I actually don't think love triangles had as much to do with the popular standouts as the fact that they were among the frontrunners of their kind and filled an audience niche that people didn't even know they had. Twilight headed the paranormal romance boom. IMO, it sold because teens like angsty epic romance with a lot of melodrama. See: Dawson's Creek ten years earlier. It was Dawson/Joey/Pacey plus vampires and werewolves, which added a freshness to it. Teens eat that stuff up. Lord knows I did.

Yes, I may have the entire series of DC on DVD and watch it periodically even though I know it's terrible. Why do you ask.

The Hunger Games headed the dystopia boom. It was new and different [to its audience] when it was released. I think I was around 16/17 when I started reading dystopias like 1984 and Brave New World. THG filled that niche for this decade's teens.

So, the next big thing? We can't really predict it, because it's going to be the thing that fills that niche we don't even know exists yet.

jmlee

MIA
Registered
Reaction score
And, re: love triangles - I mean, history shows, conflict sells. If there's no triangle then the conflict has to be external or plot driven instead of being contained inside the context of the relationship - also, love triangles make it easier to postpone the climax of the romantic (sub)-plot. They just work.

I think it also gives the reader something to invest in. Like, you know. How if you give a kid a choice between two things they don't really want, they'll pick one over the other and just enjoy the fact that they got to choose when if you just make them do something they get all reluctant. I think if there's a choice (even a fake one cuz the author has already decided how it ends) readers get a little more involved.

jmlee

MIA
Registered
Reaction score
So, the next big thing? We can't really predict it, because it's going to be the thing that fills that niche we don't even know exists yet.

And, doesn't the saying go, once an era is named, it's over? What if we accidentally figure out what it is in this thread and name it, then does it mean it's over before it's even started!??!?!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I had a random thought that might invigorate dystopian novels!

See, so far, dystopias have been taking the modern world and making it worse. Hunger Games takes everyday Appalachia, and then adds in brutal battles to the death between teenagers! And starvation.

But what if you have a dystopia that takes place in the future but rather than major changes, things stay the SAME!

Not to use myself as an example constantly, but the book I'm currently working on is actually more similar to today, but I'd say it's a bit dystopia...vast governments still throw people into the meatgrinder for petty political gain. Terrorists still bomb places, and people are oppressed for their political and social leanings.

The only thing that changes is the names, faces, and the technology used to blow stuff up.

KalenO

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Eh, I've read that book.

It's called Fox News.

LOL sorry, couldn't resist. But hey, all that matters at the end of the day is the story. Write what you want to write and let it speak for itself.

Last edited:

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
And, doesn't the saying go, once an era is named, it's over? What if we accidentally figure out what it is in this thread and name it, then does it mean it's over before it's even started!??!?!

The resulting paradox would rip a hole in the universe big enough to swallow our entire galaxy. :/