The viability of villain protagonists in YA?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Thats ok. Artemis Fowl was a good series so I don't blame you for going into a discussion on it. Anyway, the general consensus I seem to be getting about villain protagonists is that while it -may- be difficult, it is certainly possible and there seems to be a lot of people who would like to see it. So I guess I should just not be scared and write it, and see what happens from there.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Funny, I just decided I wanted to write an anti-villain story myself just a few days ago (though he's not really the full protagonist. He'll have a POV in it I think though)

I'll definitely have to pick up Viscous. Fun discussion :)

Elidibus

Over 9000!!!!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
No. I can't come out to play. My muse won't let me
I want to know, do you here all think there is room in YA for self-serving, and/or outright villainous protagonists?

Yes. Yes. and YES!!!

Please give us these stories! Light Yagami was and still is one of my most favorite protagonists. And the battle between he and "L" is frankly one of the most awesome I can remember. There is plenty of room in the YA genre for villainous protagonists! In fact, I daresay this kind of thing will be a much needed breath of fresh air in the genre.

Speaking only for myself, I would totally give a book like this a shot. And I don't see it being any more difficult than writing any other protagonist.

Good luck with it!

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the thing is, though, I like writing the self-serving types more then I do the extremist knight Templar types, to quote TV tropes. The reason being I have an -obsession-, you could say, with following a rarely sympathetic perspective; the "evil 1%er", who either owns a wealthy organization(Adults only. This is often a megacorp, but can also be empires/kingdoms, in one case a corrupt church in a theocratic state etc..), has a high rank in one, or in the case of many of my teen characters has a parent or guardian figure who owns or has a high rank in a wealthy organization(again, usually a megacorp, but can take many different flavors(kingdom/empire, evil church, crime family etc..) even if megacorp happens to be the most common among them.).

Now, thats not to say that you could not think of a reason for a "greedy 1%er" to care about the little guy, but lets face it, the vast bulk don't, and as a result many of my protagonists also have little-no regard for the "little guy" unless they are faking it to manipulate public opinion. They are usually motivated by things far more selfish then, say, Light, who wanted to purge the world of all crime. In many cases they are after things such as revenge, power, chasing personal dreams, benefiting/helping a very small group of people(such as family, friends etc..) or similar not-so-selfless ends; though they don't usually see themselves as -evil- and always have a twisted yet logical rationale for what they do. Think less Light Yagami, more Frank Underwood..or heck..to give you an example from a kids cartoon the Once-ler as he was portrayed in the newer Lorax film.

Thats not to say that they have -no- redeeming qualities, because they do, and they often care deeply for people they have direct relationships with such as family, close friends, love interests ect.. However, very few of the characters I like to write see themselves as champions of the common man/the masses, and frankly could -care less- about the common man/masses unless they benefit in some way from doing so. They don't see themselves as villains/evil either, mind you, but to them the common man/masses are largely faceless and matter little.

However, this is not -all- of my protagonists, just -some-..so take that for what you will.

Last edited:

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score
Can it be done, I'm sure it can, but the issue ultimately comes up of getting the readers invested in the story and in the characters. If they are more invested in the antagonists, the only outcome that will satisfy them is one where the antagonists win.

I'm not opposed to a story about a villian, but from various games I've played that allow you to choose a path toward doing good things vs. evil things, the evil endings always felt hollow (even when it was the end I was shooting for). Also, I've noticed doing those bad things is a lot less fun when nobody's around to watch (like throwing the villagers into the volcano etc.) which might be in part because taking the moraly good path is harder.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm coming back from this after reading an interesting article (I think it was on the New York Times website, but I've lost it, so). Apparently, having money makes you less empathetic toward other people. Not malicious or uncaring, just less attuned. They also talked about the possibility that people who are disagreeable will tend to earn more than agreeable people. I don't know if the science behind it is sound, but I thought it might help in characterizing certain villains, like the kind Nogetsune writes.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Another problem is that villain protagonists can become stale and lose their viability faster than classic heroes of the romantic or action movie stripe. If heroes that fans would find genuinely likable and for whom fans can root for their success with good conscience get uninteresting, wouldn't that process happen even faster for genuinely unlikable protagonists, the kind that fans would not want to make an effort to identify with? The only way to lessen that decline would be to make sure the villain protagonists fail spectacularly and have tragic endings the majority of the time. And even that could get uninteresting fast as I am unsure that fans will want books, movies and tv shows centered around tragedies on a regular basis.

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
I want to know, do you here all think there is room in YA for self-serving, and/or outright villainous protagonists? Do you think a story following a character resembling what somebody like President Snow or any other tyrant or dictator was as a teenager on their way up the latter of power has a place in YA? What about those extremist types? Or maybe even a teenage mad scientist? Is there a place in YA for self-serving or extremely misguided protagonists?

I think there is absolutely room for these types of characters in YA. I believe that the only thing that may be limiting is how far you may be able to go with their extremism, just because of the nature of the audience.

One example that comes immediately to mind is Artemis Fowl (the first novel, not the series as a whole). In the first book at least, he was self-serving, cunning, and misguided. And he was the protagonist as well. Granted, throughout the series he became less and less a villian and more an outright hero, but I think the first book illustrates that it is possible to create a villian protagonist in YA.

Also, to see a villian protagonist that doesn't become a hero as the story progresses would be interesting to read.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Totally Selfish protagonists...are they ok?

As the title asks. The recent "Unheroic Protagonist" thread made me wonder about this. While there is plenty of villain protagonists in TV and anime/manga, you rarely, if ever, see them in YA. The only one that comes to mind is Artemis Fowl, and he is only really a villain for one book. However, they are popular other places, and even in adult lit (Dexter was a book first, after all, and there is at least one fantasy novel about the second in command of an evil god who manipulates an entire world on his master's behalf..and another about a debauched, decadent, dark magic-using drug addict prince..) so I have been told that villain protagonists should be -fine- for YA.

Yet, general villain protagonists is not what I am making this thread about. What I AM making it about is a very specific type of villain protagonist, and one that I have a special place in my heart for.....the totally selfish "evil 1%er."

You see, a lot of villain protagonists, such as Lelouch or Light Yagami, tend to have rather benevolent, and some could even say sefless motives, but just go about achieving them in very flawed ways. To use TV tropes terms, when you have villain protagonists they are usually of the well-intentioned extremist or Knights Templar variety. However, the kind of villain protagonist I prefer is neither of those things. I, you see, favor the selfish villains. The spoiled princes/princesses and megacorp heirs/heiresses out to seize power from their King/CEO father. The Necromancer who cares only about their own magical power and is willing screw over anybody and everybody to increase or maintain it. The reality warper who shapes existence to their own selfish desires rather then to aid others or form some kind of Utopia. The malicious hacker who uses their skills to cause chaos for their own twisted entertainment rather then to promote freedom....

The selfish, usually wealthy characters that could either care less about "changing the world" or want to change it for non-benevolent reasons such as desiring power, wealth, personal satisfaction or some other non-idealistic thing. Are such protagonists ok? Is it alright to follow a character who is extremely selfish? Or to viably have such a character as the protagonist would you need a dual-POV story with a secondary protagonist who is less selfish? Thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated!

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Many of the characters I've enjoyed both in literature and film have been complete jerks. However, all of them have given me some reason to root for them, usually early on. It could be a clever voice, a rough past, or a goal I can sympathize with.

If a character has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, I tend to move on. I am, of course, only one reader and my version of "redeeming" could be way different from someone else's.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think having a selfish protag isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are a couple things to consider, though:

1) You don't want any MC to be completely one-dimensional. This is true for any type of protagonist. This is the sort of instance where first person narration would work well, because you could show there's more going on under the surface, there are layers to the MC. Where everyone else sees purely selfish intentions and actions, the reader needs to see the cogs beneath that facade. Any villain needs to be multi-dimensional, but if the villain is the protag, then, I think, even more so.

2) You'd have to figure out how to get readers invested. Why would a reader want to stick in there for this character's story? Why would they care what happens to them? It can be done, and well--look at Frank Underwood in House of Cards--but it's tricky. Again, you have to have some redeeming characteristics. Like with Frank, he got screwed over at the start, so viewers can kind of see where he's coming from. He has some people he actually cares for, so you see a glimmer of humanity underneath it all. He's going against some people who are worse than he is, so you root for him to triumph over them. He's interesting. His narration and motives are intriguing, so you stick with the story to find out where it goes.

3) They don't have to be likable, but the reader still has to want to spend however many pages with them. The reader can't just hate them. I haven't read Game of Thrones because everyone talks about how horrible Sansa Starks' POV chapters are. I don't like her on the show, so I don't want to spend time in her head reading her story. On the other hand, Draco Malfoy isn't a likeable character, but the chapters of HP that dealt with him were interesting. I wanted to know what happened. Walter White isn't likeable, neither is Don Draper, or again, Frank Underwood. They do bad things, but they're not insufferable. That's a fine line.

I think it can work, but only if it's done very well.

Last edited:

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, it could work.

As I see it, it's not so much a "can I do this in YA" as it is "will YA readers read this" problem. Books are different from TV shows because the reader spends time in the main character's head -- this could be why there are so many villain protagonists in tv/movies but so few in books. A lot of readers will give up on a book if the protag is unlikable. Not if the protag is a bad person. If the protag is unlikable. That's how you can get it to work.

Edit: ninja'd. I should clarify that I'm using "unlikable" where Stiger is using "insufferable".

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't read it, but some readers would. If it's done well, readers who are into that type of thing will love it.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
As mentioned by the previous posters, sure, it can work. Pretty sure if there's a whole anime featuring Izaya Orihara as the protagonist, most Durarara!! fans will wallop it up.

And +1 to it being more of a reader-thing. I, for one, don't need redeeming qualities in a character to like them. Or some tragic backstory to explain their current evilness. I just need them to be interesting as hell. Keep me entertained, and I'm sold.

ETA: Of course, what entertains me is a whole other can of worms...

Hmm I think Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn had a likable protagonist even though you know from the get-go there's something wrong with him, since he gets a restraining order at the start... But by the time I got to find out what actually happened (which is messed up), I just couldn't help but still like him. So yes, it can work. It's just the execution... And your readers.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
As mentioned by the previous posters, sure, it can work. Pretty sure if there's a whole anime featuring Izaya Orihara as the protagonist, most Durarara!! fans will wallop it up.

And +1 to it being more of a reader-thing. I, for one, don't need redeeming qualities in a character to like them. Or some tragic backstory to explain their current evilness. I just need them to be interesting as hell. Keep me entertained, and I'm sold.

Thirding this, that it's a reader thing, and adding in another book example I thought about.

Hannibal Lecter is the quintessential villain, but I gobbled up HANNIBAL RISING. Partly, because I already knew the story of the cannibalistic serial killer, and partly because finding out what made him so evil was just so compelling. If you haven't read it, and are debating whether to write from a selfish/villainous POV, I highly recommend giving it a look first.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, though I can't tell from your responses whether or not an extremely selfish character would be ok....by extremely selfish I mean no aulteristic goals what-so-ever. This would not be a person out to make any kind of better world or help anybody other then themselves. They would solely be in it for themselves...for their own goals and desires, and could care less about helping others or making the world a "better place" They are not Light Yagami who kills to make Utopia or Lelouch who kills to make peace. They are not even Dexter Morgen who takes out his urge for death on "acceptable targets." They are likewise, however, not Hanable Lecture who is a psychopath with no bonds, either. They are self-serving, and out soley to increase their own power and/or wealth at the expense of others. Of course, at the same time, they would still have bonds and can still care about others...they would have friends, and even possibly romantic feelings...they are -human- but just also happen to be a human who is deeply selfish and puts their own power/wealth as priority number one most of the time.

If you want a model for the kind of character I wish to write...think of every real world corrupt corporate executive or CEO.....thats what I am going for. The corrupt, upper-class individual out to expand their power base. Not some murderous psychopath with no redeeming qualities but likewise not some well-intentioned radical/freedom fighter/criminal who wants to make the world better place through murder/terrorism/whatever.

There is nothing idealistic about this kind of character...they would be selfish and out for money and/or power and would likely have some other side motive that is more personal...such as revenge, proving themselves better then somebody else, stepping out of the shadow of a powerful/influential family member or perhaps if I want to make them a bit more sympathetic making life better for a person or small group of people they care about...even if it comes at the expense of the masses.

So, seeing all of that, would this kind of thing -still- be ok?

Last edited:

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is still okay for me. It just needs to be interesting. Even if I do end up hating the character, that's fine for me (and it's also good, because the worst IMO is having a reader not giving a shit about the character at all). I can still like the story, and be glad of the experience I've gotten from reading it. So long it's well-written, thoroughly thought through, stakes are high relative to the character's goal, the characters are all fleshed out, I'm all for horrible, selfish characters.

What makes me put down a book are more so about things like the writing, characters TSTL, flat characters, writer's laziness, too little conflict happening, not enough/not high enough stakes...etc. etc.

Last edited:

kej115

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a big fan of completely self-absorbed, selfish characters, whether that be the protagonist or just a supporting character. However, I can deal with a character like that if they have a reason for being like that and aren't completely superficial (aren't Mean Girls-esque), or make you want to root for them. But I do think it could make for an interesting story to write in a self-centered POV!

I think all readers have a different preference, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as it works for you personally :) Readers want to root for the main character, so if you can pull that off while having them be self-centered, than by all means go for it!!!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Even with the further explanation, I stand by my comments.

Again, see Frank Underwood. If you're not familiar, the entire premise of House of Cards is he was passed over for a position he was promised. The rest of the show is all about his own personal, political gain. Ruining the careers and lives of other people--who happen to be in his way, or who are merely pawns to get his way. He has bonds. He's cares about his wife, about his head staffer, about a guy who cooks him ribs, about his security detail. But other than that he is entirely and thoroughly selfish. He wants to be President. Not to make the world better, but because he wants it, he wants his name in history, his picture on walls, for others to respect and fear him. But most viewers still root for him, and the reason is solid writing.

Also, it doesn't sound like your familiar with Hannibal Lecter because your description was very one-note when in reality he's quite a complex character. He's not a psychopath, everything he does is for selfish reasons. He doesn't murder and eat people because he's crazy. He toys with his victims because he's curious. He wants to see how their brains work, what he can get them to do, how he can manipulate their behaviors. None of it is for their own good, or for some contribution to science or medicine, and it's not because he's insane. It's all to satisfy his curiosity and for his own morbid, selfish enjoyment. However, he has bonds too. He cares about his sister who died, he cares for Clarice Starling, in the show he cares about a girl who reminds him of his sister, and about consultant Will Graham, and fellow psychiatrist Alana Bloom. He still craves relationships, but only on his terms.

If you want another example, see Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

These characters are multi-faceted and complex, and yes, real. That's what makes them interesting and makes viewers/readers want to stick with them.

Contrast them with a character like Joffrey Baratheon, who is simply evil and selfish and, in my opinion, not very complex. I couldn't get past two pages in his head.

All that to say, I stand by my first comment. Regardless of the characteristics, most readers will engage if the character is three-dimensional, if you give them a reason to be invested in the character/outcome, and if you don't make them hate the character a la Joffrey.

Good luck writing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Evil protagonists, or just jerk protagonists, only work if they have reader empathy. There must be a reason for the evil or jerkiness, and readers have to be able to say, "In his place, I might well be the same way, or do the same thing."

We all root for Dexter, and even for Hannibal Lector, at some level because we have empathy for them. It's who they kill, and why they kill. If either of them randomly murdered an eight year old girl, it would be all over.

The same is true for selfishness. There needs to be an understandable reason for it, and we have to be able to say that in his place, with his reasons, we might well be just as selfish.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with characters who are selfish.

Whiny and self-pitying, however, I dislike enough in real life, never mind fiction.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like a counter view-point so it didn't get too intense. Though you can probably get away with anything if it's well written!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Since the new thread is actually about selfish villains, I merged your two villain threads, Nogetsune.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, though I can't tell from your responses whether or not an extremely selfish character would be ok....

Of course it's okay. Everything is okay. (And awesome! ...ahem.) The question is whether anyone wants to read about the corrupt CEO if said CEO doesn't get redeemed or brought down or whatever by the end. What's happening to this person that makes an interesting story?

It's not a matter of demonstrating morals for youth. It's about keeping them interested.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I think it hasn't yet been mentioned here: a new series by a bestselling YA author will have a female villain protagonist. YOUNG ELITES, a YA secondary world fantasy in which the main character is described as "a teenage female version of Magneto and Darth Vader."