White Samurai and Gryphons (Yet another diversity in YA thread.)

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
So, in my quest to find books that where "anime-esc" I was pointed to a number called Stormcaller. Now, I read a preview and at first, it looked good. I am absolutely obsessed with Japanese mythology. I love the Youkai, the deities...just everything about it. So I was psyched when the book opened up with the protagonist fleeing an oger Oni that was described exactly how one should look....but then, something irked me. When the protagonist mentioned her love interest, a samurai, he was clearly described as being non-Asian/white in appearance. Ok, this, in and of itself, was not 100% terrible. I thought...maybe this is just to make it more like anime...maybe he has blue hair to go with those green eyes and the whole thing is going to be like one big anime cartoon. So I stayed and looked into getting an actual copy of the book. Then...I found...it has gryphons in it. Honest to goodness **** **** European griphons, and from what I know they are not treated as being a foreign element to the story's very Asian setting.

This got me pissed off. This book was the only one I could in the YA SF/F genera find that was based in Japanese mythology yet it had white samurai and a clearly European monster that was in no way made to be less European stuffed into the setting and made an important plot element. Why can't we have a story based in a society based on a non-western culture without adding western elements and white people to it? What would be so terrible about making those gryphons into Tengu and that white, green-eyed love interest a Japanese boy instead?

Why must YA fantasy always be the white knight fighting ogers or the white witch fighting a European-style vampire enclave in an american city? Why can't we have say an Arabian dervish struggling to free herself from a pact with a Dijin thats keeping her from being with the Sultan's son? Why can't we have an African witch doctor out to rescue their lover from a rival witch doctor that was their former teacher who turned to serving the evil spirits? Heck, why can't we have a Samurai who's actually Japanese and fighting against a corrupt, land-hungry damayo and his cunning Nogitsune consort to save his own damayo's daughter?

Why even when we claim we are doing something in a non-western society must western monsters and white people still find their way in? Why are non-western mythologies and non-white casts so scarce in YA? Anyway, my ranting is over. Now I open the floor to a more general discussion. Do you all as readers and writers of YA notice the lack of SF/F YA stories based in non-western mythologies and/or with non-white casts? If so, do you find this disturbing? Why do you think this is if you believe it to be true? Do you really think publishers are racist? Or is it the readers that are the racist ones? Perhaps all of us writers and readers of YA who want diversity should look in the mirror if we want the answer to why non-white characters and non-western mythologies are so under-represented in the YA SF/F world?

Discuss your thoughts here...

Last edited:

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
"In Central Asia the griffin appears about a thousand years after Bronze Age Crete, in the 5th–4th centuries BC, probably originating from the Achaemenid Persian Empire. The Achaemenids considered the griffin "a protector from evil, witchcraft and secret slander"."

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many factors here that I wouldn't be able to list them all in one forum post. But the short answers are:

→There are a lot of SF/F with non-white, non-European casts. I notice most of them in the MG section rather than YA, but they exist.
→A lot of white authors, who are not consciously racist, will mention that they feel uncomfortable using another culture as a basis for their own stories. I think that's reasonable -- expecting white authors to write about other cultures seems to ignore that there are real-life authors from said cultures who, who knows, might be writing the stories that are so lacking.

I have to go now, but I'll try to come back later with some book recs.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Do you mean Stormdancer?

That's my assumption, as well, given the griffin thing.

I've written some blog posts on the subject of this book. There are also some great take-downs on Goodreads.

It's actually much worse than a white "samurai" love interest and a griffin make it sound. The author massively appropriates Japanese language and culture, and also Asian culture in general.

Plus, there are plenty of creatures he could have used instead of griffins. The kirin comes to mind immediately.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
"In Central Asia the griffin appears about a thousand years after Bronze Age Crete, in the 5th–4th centuries BC, probably originating from the Achaemenid Persian Empire. The Achaemenids considered the griffin "a protector from evil, witchcraft and secret slander"."

What point is being made here?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I believe Jay (who is an AW author) mentions somewhere that his novel is highly influenced by anime and that he used a lot of Wikipedia info on Japanese culture. This probably is a big part of the cultural issues in the book.

I personally had no problem with the arashitora--of course, it said right on my copy of the book that it was Japanese steampunk with griffins--and I assumed Yukiko was partially obsessed with the green-eyed samurai because of his "exoticness," though I had other issues with her relationship with him.

I had big problems with the weird honorific usage.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Plus, there are plenty of creatures he could have used instead of griffins. The kirin comes to mind immediately.
Maybe it was done on purpose? In order to underline the differences between a pseudo-historical novel and an alternative fantasy world? Like in SHAD0W AND B0NE--any person who knows anything about Russian language, history, or culture will laugh themselves silly over the ways some words and things are used in that series, but the setting is not really pretending to be Russia, it's a different world.

I personally liked STORMDANCER. It was too much of an alternative world for me to be bothered by the mish-mash of cultures and aesthetics. It was actually reminiscent of the original fantasy anime, because one notices it's quite fond of random and oddly rendered European elements. It's almost a trademark of the genre. Unless it's a very traditionally historical anime full of samurai's honor, inked papers and higanbana blossoms floating in freshly spilled blood, there will be use of European lore, exotically reimagined, probably in the same way Japanese lore is treated in S.

I remember reading another YA novel which was a paranormal romance set in present day Japan... oh, well, my knowledge is limited, but even so I was cringing at some of the stuff in that book. It was as if the author was trying to emulate some bad anime with said anime being the single source of information about everything. It was filled with tropes and cliches in exactly that way. And a present day setting is unforgiving.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for book recommendations, how about Zoe Marriott's 'The Night Itself'? First of a trilogy (The Name of the Blade) - just being reissued with much, much nicer covers, with the forthcoming second book.
Not really 'anime-esque' but it's YA: a teen girl of Japanese descent in modern London. There's a magic sword, a demon cat, lots of kitsune, and a brave and handsome Japanese boy. http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1406342386/
And the scenes in the kitsune kingdom are great.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I believe Jay (who is an AW author) mentions somewhere that his novel is highly influenced by anime and that he used a lot of Wikipedia info on Japanese culture. This probably is a big part of the cultural issues in the book.

Yeah, his research was not the best.

I personally had no problem with the arashitora--of course, it said right on my copy of the book that it was Japanese steampunk with griffins--and I assumed Yukiko was partially obsessed with the green-eyed samurai because of his "exoticness," though I had other issues with her relationship with him.

I had big problems with the weird honorific usage.
The problem with the arashitora is the same problem people had with the rest of his world-building that deviated from the real Japan. He appropriated cool elements from Japanese culture and history in order to create an exotic setting in a manner that many people found very disrespectful of Japanese culture.

Maybe it was done on purpose? In order to underline the differences between a pseudo-historical novel and an alternative fantasy world? Like in SHAD0W AND B0NE--any person who knows anything about Russian language, history, or culture will laugh themselves silly over the ways some words and things are used in that series, but the setting is not really pretending to be Russia, it's a different world.

That's a common excuse made by authors who engage in cultural appropriation. But if it's not really Russia (or Japan), then why use such a large number of elements lifted from that culture? And further, the evidence suggests that most of the problems resulted from ignorance or not caring, rather than any attempt to intentionally distance the fantasy versions from the real ones. Jay uses a badly researched attempt at real Japanese in his setting, in several places in the novel. "Arashitora" for example, is constructed from the Japanese words for "storm"(arashi) and "tiger"(tora), and there is a great deal of similar construction in the novel. Shadow and Bone was the result of a similar ignorance, not an intentional act. And "Shima" (the Japanese word for "island", resulting in the cringe-inducing "Island Islands"), is very much pretending to be Japan.

I personally liked STORMDANCER. It was too much of an alternative world for me to be bothered by the mish-mash of cultures and aesthetics. It was actually reminiscent of the original fantasy anime, because one notices it's quite fond of random and oddly rendered European elements. It's almost a trademark of the genre. Unless it's a very traditionally historical anime full of samurai's honor, inked papers and higanbana blossoms floating in freshly spilled blood, there will be use of European lore, exotically reimagined, probably in the same way Japanese lore is treated in S.
Again, it was not that alternative.

Here are some links going into detail on the offensiveness of the appropriation present in Stormdancer:

http://atsiko.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/linguistics-and-sff-stormdancer-and-the-japanese-language/

http://yourekilling.us/?p=24

http://ladybusiness.dreamwidth.org/37102.html

There are even more links to relevant articles at the bottom of the second link.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It does make me wonder if I'm going to be slapped with the "appropriation" tag for using metabolist architecture.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It's in quotes because it's describing the tag.

The characters aren't Japanese. Is it kosher for a non-native architectural movement to catch on in a fantasy world?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
It's in quotes because it's describing the tag.

Ah, that makes sense.

The characters aren't Japanese. Is it kosher for a non-native architectural movement to catch on in a fantasy world?

It'd be kind of weird to have an Earth architectural movement spring up out of nowhere in a fantasy world. I think you'd get more comments on that than on it being Japanese.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I would guess that any society with a high enough tech level and certain socio-geographic problems might come up with the sorts of ideas behind metabolist architecture. The word for the movement isn't used but the ideas are definitely present.

I do wonder if there actually is a point at which a fantasy society is not trying to "be" some culture but uses elements of real world culture. I mean Stormdancer isn't it with its abuse of the very real Japanese language, but are there any books in which such a thing happens? Or must all fantasy cultures acknowledge a root?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Man, this thing kind of worries me...though, I think that I've made my culture alien enough that it shouldn't twig as any specific Earthican culture - the writing is Mayan inspired, the architecture is steampowered cyberpunk Aztec, everyone has anime hair, naming conventions follow a fantasy Chinese styling, and so on and so forth...

Though, this discussion heads right into the appropriation question...I mean, a friend of mine (whose IRL handle is Jay, ironically enough), was inspired by me going off on a rant about how someone claimed that high fantasy could "only" exist in Europe (because "only Europe has castles, dragons, princess, and the other trappings of high fantasy", which ranks up there as one of the most absurdly stupid claims I've ever heard in my entire multimillennial life).

So, Jay (my Jay, that is), decided to write a novel that is high fantasy with dragons and dragon riders and knights and princes and princesses and castles...but set in a pre-Colombian Exchange central/south America style place.

Of course, I think where Jay and Jay differ...is that Jay didn't do the research. Jay did do the research.

That's why I'm more willing to cut Jay some slack than Jay, since I think when Jay put effort in, Jay was showing respect with his use of other cultures - and that is...what...really the root of the issue is with Jay's work, isn't it?

Lack of respect.

Or at least effort...

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I would guess that any society with a high enough tech level and certain socio-geographic problems might come up with the sorts of ideas behind metabolist architecture. The word for the movement isn't used but the ideas are definitely present.

Well, if you're just using concepts, I don't see the problem. If your style is identical except for the name, that could be a problem depending on how it's handled, but in general I would expect that it would not qualify as appropriation.

I do wonder if there actually is a point at which a fantasy society is not trying to "be" some culture but uses elements of real world culture. I mean Stormdancer isn't it with its abuse of the very real Japanese language, but are there any books in which such a thing happens? Or must all fantasy cultures acknowledge a root?

I think many fantasies acknowledge a root/inspiration. But inspiration is not appropriation.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Though, this discussion heads right into the appropriation question...I mean, a friend of mine (whose IRL handle is Jay, ironically enough), was inspired by me going off on a rant about how someone claimed that high fantasy could "only" exist in Europe (because "only Europe has castles, dragons, princess, and the other trappings of high fantasy", which ranks up there as one of the most absurdly stupid claims I've ever heard in my entire multimillennial life).

So, Jay (my Jay, that is), decided to write a novel that is high fantasy with dragons and dragon riders and knights and princes and princesses and castles...but set in a pre-Colombian Exchange central/south America style place.

Of course, I think where Jay and Jay differ...is that Jay didn't do the research. Jay did do the research.

That's why I'm more willing to cut Jay some slack than Jay, since I think when Jay put effort in, Jay was showing respect with his use of other cultures - and that is...what...really the root of the issue is with Jay's work, isn't it?

Lack of respect.

Or at least effort...

Doing the research is a big step in terms of avoiding appropriation. If nothing else, it lets one deviate intelligently, and hopefully without major offense.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Liosse de Velishaf said:
I think many fantasies acknowledge a root/inspiration. But inspiration is not appropriation.

I mean by "acknowledging a root" that like if you look at a setting, people will say "it's obviously fantasy Japan" and expect everything to be perfectly Japanese and be upset when it isn't. So I'm asking if there are any stories where that hasn't been the response (it doesn't have to be Japan, it could be anywhere).

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Well, N.K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon is based on a bunch of research into Egypt, but it's not obviously Egypt.

Does that fit? Or is that the opposite of what you mean?

I don't see the point of stealing a culture wholesale if you're not going to use it wholesale. Why not just make a new one?

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Please name some stories with new cultures that haven't been accused of appropriation because I'm not sure what you mean.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Having read all the posts here I am glad I didn't actually sink money into this book and decided it was eehh after the preview and the synopsis. I don't think there is anything -wrong- with using Japanese, or any non-western culture as the basis for a fantasy world as a white writer, mind you, but if you intend to do such a thing at least have the common decency to do the god damn research and get things right. Just the fact that the author uses "hai" in the way he does and fails to grasp even something as basic as how honorifics like "sama" work is unimaginably frustrating. I mean...I'm a total noob writer yet even I know to do the proper research when playing with non-western cultures. I like to play with Japanese mythology admittedly, and am white. However, I at least know and care enough to do the research. I've been called "paranoid" due to the fact I research cultural and language details excessively and refuse to write anything based in Japanese mythology/culture until my good friend who's going to study abroad in Japan in the near future is able to fact check it with locals(admittedly she's fact checking her own work too considering she's doing a novel that's essentially a mech anime on paper.).....but I feel that's whats -needed- to prevent stuff like this and really gain an appreciation for the culture your writing about while also showing it proper respect. The fact that such measures have been labeled by some as "paranoid" in and of itself is disturbing to me, let alone the fact something as poorly researched as this can get published.

If your not willing to do the research(and no, reading a few wikis is not "research.") and immerse yourself in the culture your writing about then frankly you have no place writing about it in my eyes. Thats why stormdancer got me so upset. That and the white samurai. That's what made me want to drop the preview before I even saw the terrible Japanese grammar and other troubling elements mentioned here. Also...I can't help but laugh at how stormdancer throws in (poorly used) Japanese without providing it's readers any kind of guide to it. Again, despite the fact I am a terrible, noob writer right now, I STILL know that it would have been helpful to have a glossary of the various Japanese terms used in the book that states their meaning and tells the reader how they are used. To assume that the only otakus would pick up a book set in Fantasy Japan as this author apparently did is another very ignorant train of thought that also quite offensive.

So you want to write a novel in fantasy Japan and/or uses Japanese mythology and culture but you happen to be white? Great, thats essentually me as well, but I know that before you rely on anime as your main inspiration it's best take a god damn step back and realize that fantasy japan =/= anime. It equals fantasy Japan....and there is way, way more to Japan then anime. To best write and appreciate, and HONOR the culture with your work, which is what a true lover of anime would want to do, you have to put in the extensive research to be accurate. Honestly, if your a WASP and want to write something that's -totally- anime-inspired and uses mythology without putting in any serious legwork, my advice is just to stick to Judo-Christian mythology and/or European lore. There are countless animes that use that as a basis and of the ones I know there are actually MORE based in Judo-Christian and/or European lore then there are ones based in Japanese myth.

In fact, my aforementioned friend and I agree that Japanese mythology doesn't even make your story "anime-esc' at all because of the fact many, many animes don't even use Japanese mythology as a basis. You find just as many, if nor more animes with christian-style angels and demons, Satan, fantasy counterparts to the catholic church, western dragons, knights, hermetic magic, alchemy, giants and other things typically associated with standard European fantasy as you do those based in Japanese myth.

So my advice to the author of stormcaller would be to either do the god damn research and learn to appreciate and honor the culture you claim to be interested in or write an "anime-esc" story that has nothing to do with Japanese mythology. The latter can be done easily by taking normal, European style fantasy and adding in anime imagery as well as non-visual, culturally neutral tropes that have come to be identified heavily with anime. Technicolor hair with large bangs and flashy DBZ-style magic with energy balls ect.. as well as copious amounts of magitek that's more on the "high tech" side then the "steampunk" side alla FFVII and Nanaho all are cosmetic steps that can be taken to give your setting that "anime" feel visually without relying on Japanese culture and things like kimonos and ō-yoroi armor. Heck, Japanese names are not even necessary to get that "anime" feel as there is enough fantasy anime where characters have western or even totally made-up names(See animes like Black Butler, Slayers etc..) to assure that your story can feel like an anime and appeal to the otaku market without the need for actual Japanese language. Heck, you can even use some of the use tropes and conventions from anime in your story without ever touching Japanese language and mythology; there are plenty of character archtypes(hot blooded shonen hero, tsundre love interest, genki girls ect..) and non-visual tropes that appear a lot in anime that don't rely on Japanese language and/or culture....and totally western works can and have used them.. So yeah....I've likely ranted for far, far too long. I apologize about this but I'm just extremely frustrated by this book. /endrant

Also, to those that mentioned alternative titles based in Japanese culture/Mythology I thank you! If anybody else has some well-researched titles that play with Japanese mythology and/or culture I'd be grateful!

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but not entirely... anyone read number9dream?

David Mitchell is British, but the story is set in Japan with a Japanese protagonist, but he basically writes about Japan as if it's Britain. I seem to remember half the characters having cockney accents and being really into the Beatles.

Obviously a stylistic choice. Made the book quite trippy and dreamlike, which given the title, was probably the point.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I mean I'm looking at my WIP. Right now I've got Japanese architecture, Dutch bike culture, Brazilian caffeinated drinks, American digital footprinting and security theatre, Italian and Iranian names with a smattering of others, a perpetual 13-month calendar, and it's hard to even begin to guess where their religion comes from... It's not new, it's a patchwork of old. I can't imagine a new culture because I live in the real world and inevitably I am drawing from what I know.