Any Norwegians out there?

thwaitesyellow

Registered
Reaction score
Hei alle! I just moved earlier this month from the US to Oslo for a year-long fellowship. Managed to sign up for Norwegian language classes at the university and am really enjoying Norway so far :)

featherpen87

The crazy is strong in this one!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geekheaven87.wordpress.com
Er det forresten noen Oslo skribenter her som kanskje er interessert i å ha en skrivekompis? :Hug2:
Sitter en del på Kulturhuset og jobber, men det hadde jo vært koselig å hatt noen likesinnede å jobbe sammen med nå og da. Så blir det ikke så ensomt på skrivekontoret :banana:

thwaitesyellow

Registered
Reaction score
Er det forresten noen Oslo skribenter her som kanskje er interessert i å ha en skrivekompis? :Hug2:
Sitter en del på Kulturhuset og jobber, men det hadde jo vært koselig å hatt noen likesinnede å jobbe sammen med nå og da. Så blir det ikke så ensomt på skrivekontoret :banana:

(Jeg unnskylder for min dårlig norsk!)
Der er en gruppe i Oslo for forfattere at det heter Oslo Writers’ League (OWL). Gruppen har mange personer som kommer ikke fra Norge opprinnelig (expats). Jeg vet ikke hvis jeg får lov å linke til Facebook, men her er linken: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oslowritersleague/

Spørsmål for dere alle her: kan du anbefaler noen bøker i norsk som er ikke å lese for vanskelig? Jeg liker å lese bøker i fantasy/sci-fi genre, men jeg vil prøve noe :) Takk!

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Quick question

Doing a scene in Leon, Norway - in March. How much snow would be on the ground around the fjords in that region?

Thanks!

Kerry

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
Snow in March

Last winter there were practically no snow all winter, but March is usually a snowy winter where I come from (in the middle of Norway). Also you must remember that Norway stretches across many latitudes and the climate varies. Near the sea the climate is usually milder.

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
Snow in March

Did you mean Loen? Then my guess is the snow is usually gone by the end of March.

Hyperion

Registered
Reaction score
Heisan. Jeg heter Mike. Jeg er opprinelig from USA, men jeg bør i norge. Jeg skriver bare på engelsk, men mye av hva jeg skriver om er norsk inspirert.

I am not much for the writing of the language, I must admit. I never had a lesson! Just picked up stuff watching re-runs of Seinfeld on NRK.

So, any other Norwegians still active here?

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My grandparents were first generation Norwegian. I supposedly was fluent when I was very young (like around four years old) leading my grandmother to tell my mother I was an "old soul." Nowadays, the only Norwegian I still know are the songs for the Lucia Fest---Santa Lucia, O du Saliga and När Juldagsmorgon Glimmar (the words I learned don't seem to be the Swedish version).. :ROFL:

One of these days, I'd like to relearn the language. What method would you recommend? Has anyone had any experience with things like Rosetta Stone in the Scandinavian languages?

Last edited:

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
My grandparents were first generation Norwegian. I supposedly was fluent when I was very young (like around four years old) leading my grandmother to tell my mother I was an "old soul." Nowadays, the only Norwegian I still know are the songs for the Lucia Fest---Santa Lucia, O du Saliga and När Juldagsmorgon Glimmar (the words I learned don't seem to be the Swedish version).. :ROFL:

One of these days, I'd like to relearn the language. What method would you recommend? Has anyone had any experience with things like Rosetta Stone in the Scandinavian languages?

I think the best way to learn a new language is to be exposed to it - a lot. For me it is the only way. I have never tried to learn another language outside school, so I'm afraid I don't have any real advice for you.
I started learning English in fourth grade. (Nowadays kids start learning English in first grade.) Norwegians also listen to English-speaking music and we watch a lot of English-speaking television and movies.
Now I (am trying to) write a novel in English. I also learned French for 5 years, but hardly speak a word because I never really used it.

I think language and grammar is better in my fictional work than in my posts:)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had very good results with Rosetta Stone, so I can't really speak for its courses, but I have got on well with the Pimsleur audio courses. One of my best friends is from near Haugesund and I go over to Norway now and then to meet her, so I was determined to try and get a bit better (I studied a little when I was high school age but never used it, so I could understand most of what she said but not join in). Last time I was in Norway I was confident enough to have basic level conversations with people after only a couple of lessons of the Pimsleur.

I certainly got on better with it than with the Routledge Colloquial Norwegian, which I tried ages ago.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just saying hi-

I am half Norwegian. My mom's parents (my grandparents) each came over to the US as children with their own parents.

I have fond memories of my grandfather teaching me some Norwegian when he read from a Norwegian paper, when I was very young. I now remember only a few words, but as a linguist, I am fascinated by how much he influenced my early love of languages, and how they began while we sat and talked together in his native language.

Hoping to someday visit the Fjords he talked about :)

Last edited:

BruceWee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Scot based in Trondheim. I've been here for six years now and my Norwegian is embarrassingly poor. I can read and speak quite well but my biggest problem is understanding what people are saying. I've learned French, Spanish, and I'm currently learning Italian. I can honestly say that Norwegian is the only language where I can say more than I can understand.

Still, my son is going to grow up speaking Norwegian so hopefully he can teach me.

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
God morgen! Noen her fortsatt?
Looks like it's been a while. ;)
I'm a Dane living in Norway, have been most of my life. Writing sci-fi/fantasy in English. Not published yet but neck-deep in the process of learning how. ;)
A great day to all!
Christina

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is American but his grandmother was from Norway. Lots of Norwegians in Nort' Dacodah, ja, you betcha. In my mother-in-law's generation, Norwegian was the first language for a lot of folks who were born in North Dakota.

Reactions: c.hansen

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is American but his grandmother was from Norway. Lots of Norwegians in Nort' Dacodah, ja, you betcha. In my mother-in-law's generation, Norwegian was the first language for a lot of folks who were born in North Dakota.
Cool. Many from my grandfather's family settled in Minnesota where I've heard there is also a large Norwegian community.

Reactions: Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose to people used to Norway's harsh climate, Minnesota and North Dakota winters looked fairly temperate... or maybe just like home.

Reactions: c.hansen