The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina.

I remember now why I don't discuss life choices with my mother, because no matter what, she always makes me feel like shit. According to her, the reason I can't get ahead is because I'm a lazy child. I should be working 2 or 3 jobs, making as much money as possible. And I shouldn't care about not having any free time because I apparently don't have a life in the first place. Is it any wonder I was out off?

The biggest issue is that she thinks I have no ambition, which is anything but true. Yeah, I might not be the in-your-face, do-anything to get ahead type, but I certainly don't want to be stuck in my current situation for the rest of my life. She also thinks I have no self-confidence. While this is partially true, it's not the extent she assumes. It's just a matter of knowing my limitations and not wasting my time with jobs I'll suck at.

:gaah

Sorry for starting the day off with a rant. I just had to get it off my chest.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely know.

Also, because I know you'll love it, the phrase "non-sexual sausage" just made its way into my WIP.

Ha! :heart:

I had my FMC use the word 'peener' to describe the MMC's sexual sausage :D

*high-fives*

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina.

I remember now why I don't discuss life choices with my mother, because no matter what, she always makes me feel like shit. According to her, the reason I can't get ahead is because I'm a lazy child. I should be working 2 or 3 jobs, making as much money as possible. And I shouldn't care about not having any free time because I apparently don't have a life in the first place. Is it any wonder I was out off?

The biggest issue is that she thinks I have no ambition, which is anything but true. Yeah, I might not be the in-your-face, do-anything to get ahead type, but I certainly don't want to be stuck in my current situation for the rest of my life. She also thinks I have no self-confidence. While this is partially true, it's not the extent she assumes. It's just a matter of knowing my limitations and not wasting my time with jobs I'll suck at.

:gaah

I'm sorry :(

:Hug2:

Parents usually mean well, but the way they go about it sometimes... yeah.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:, Lady V.

I'm sure she means well, but ....:Hug2:

Thanks.

My mom does mean well. She just doesn't like to sugarcoat things. I was relieved to know that she's glad I'm still writing. She just worries it won't come to anything. I told I often have that same concern, but I assured her that I'll try my hardest to get something published. Self-pub being a last resort.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi peoples. Have backread. Enjoyed the WWII stories. Wish my family had been a talkin' family, though I don't think there was any connection to WWII. I didn't find out how my great-grandfather was even blood related to me, let alone about him being in WWI, until long after he was gone. No idea where he went or what he did. I wonder if I could find his name in some archive somewhere that might tell me at least the bare basics.

Today I am trying very hard not to let the fact that emotionally I feel like a bucket of shit someone vomited into interefere with doing things.

I've gone through like a dozen names for this main character already and I can't seem to find one that'll stick. Could I maybe drum up some Cantina-flavoured input? I need a name that to North American ears sounds very plain, working-class and unassuming. Needs to sound at least okay when paired with surname Nesquez (which I pulled out of my ass and has no character-relevant meaning). Should suit a clever, morose-looking infantry grunt who is kind of the resident chronic complainer among the fireteam of 6-8 folks the story focuses on, but is always the first to (for example) haul a wounded soldier to safety or take an extra shift on watch so someone particularly exhausted can get some sleep. Will prefer names of two syllables or fewer.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Needs to sound at least okay when paired with surname Nesquez (which I pulled out of my ass and has no character-relevant meaning).

John / Jack / Jose (that's an e with an accent, but it's a bit shy)

I figured Jose as your surname has a Hispanic sound. However, I am in no way shape or form North American so you need someone better qualified.

:Hug2: for V

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I like Jack If I were ever going to have kids, I'd have boys called Jesse and Jack. :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I did try throwing Jose at the wall but it didn't stick. I like Jack Nesquez on him but am not sure whether the new main character after Nesquez' death being a James rules that out as a possibility.

A lot of the folks I talked to when I worked at a call center (which called only U.S. locations) had an anglophone-sounding first name with a hispanophone-sounding surname. And I'd say only about two thirds or less of the people with Hispanic surnames who answered the demographic questions put their ethnicity down as Hispanic or spoke more than one language. Now that you mention it I wonder if the reason he's bucked off so many previous tries is that I don't know of many first names which can go either way.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I need a name that to North American ears sounds very plain, working-class and unassuming. Needs to sound at least okay when paired with surname Nesquez.

Now that you mention it I wonder if the reason he's bucked off so many previous tries is that I don't know of many first names which can go either way.

Joe is sometimes used as a nickname for Jose. However, not every Hispanic person has a Spanish first-name, like you mentioned, especially if they're third or fourth generation. I like Peter, or Pete, Nesquez.

ION: My new beta reader is tearing Violet Dagger to shreds. Don't worry. The criticisms are constructive, so I'm not at all offended. I'm just shocked at how flimsy the plot is. He uncovered not one, not two, but four major coincidences. Granted, this story is my first novel and I wrote it a few years ago, but damn. That's a lot of plot devices.

My avatar couldn't be any more appropriate ATM. :D

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Just when I think I've got everything in my story at least nailed down enough to start seriously writing it, my brain just goes "wait, you could do this with it" and I'm immediately fascinated with its proposal.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

:Hug2: It's terribly difficult when parents or anyone trusted in a guardian position isn't supportive. I'd say you sound like you've got it together more than she thinks. Life is a work in progress. You aim, sometimes you make the mark and sometimes you don't, so you recalibrate and try again. There's lots of time for all the things that ambition is supposed to get you. It's more difficult, and more important that your ambition meets with something that will actually be rewarding. Be choosy, work hard, and live your life. :)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
And now I cannot find my lower body Peppers, so I will be freezing my tail off amongst dogs and reindeers etc. for the next few hours. :(

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*imagines Hillz wrapped in Jalepeno leggings for warmth*

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
If I disappear for a long time, it's probably because I got arrested for murdering my mother. That woman is such a f**king nag!

We're still arguing, if you can't tell. I'm getting really tired of this. :rant:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tell her you need a break from her and she is allowed to call you when she has finished an entire book on why nagging blows. If you have to ignore her for a month, or keep ending convos with 'I see you are still clinging to destructive hurtful habits' then so be it. :)

I'm a fan of abusing psych 101.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
where does one ask a questoin on where to start a new a new thread? I'm having one of "those" days. I downloaded yWriter and cannot get it to work, everytime I type in one of the boxes I get a ding sound instead.

Ok off to Dunkin Doughnuts, they opened one here in town this past week and hubs wants a doughnut and really bad... first doughnut shop in a town of 60k in 10 years. :D

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
If I disappear for a long time, it's probably because I got arrested for murdering my mother. That woman is such a f**king nag!

We're still arguing, if you can't tell. I'm getting really tired of this. :rant:

tell her to go stand in the corner of the attic, if she's old enough she'll know what it means. ;)

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where does one ask a questoin on where to start a new a new thread? I'm having one of "those" days. I downloaded yWriter and cannot get it to work, everytime I type in one of the boxes I get a ding sound instead.

This happened to me too, at first. Did you double click the content window so the editor opens?

Status
Not open for further replies.