Dallas Buyers Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
When I first read about this movie, I wanted to see it. Then I found this editorial:

http://transhollywood.tumblr.com/post/73788989742/a-step-by-step-guide-through-jared-letos-trans

I don't think Jared Leto meant to be insensitive, but I can understand why they were taken that way. He doesn't seem to want to refer to his character as a "woman," only a "creature," and does not even seem to use the word "transgendered." It makes me not want to see the movie.

What are your thoughts?

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
From the piece:

When asked what research he did for the role he said “a lot” but he did not formally engage, pay, or study under any trans people.

Actors put in much more effort for far less demanding roles. And it seems that the writers left a lot of room for criticism. Anti-transgender-performer casting bias (for trans* as well as cis roles) is definitely a thing.

None of Leto's comments come across to me as pithy, clever, insightful, or ally-worthy.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
It's rare for an actor's behind-the-scenes conduct to prevent me from wanting to see a movie. To me, films are collaborative pieces, and unless an actor or director's attitudes or personality are visible in the movie, those things don't usually impact my viewing choices.

I think there are a few different (though possibly connected) issues at play here:

1. Jared Leto has made some comments that don't come across as very educated, though I think he means well. I'm not in a position to judge whether he gave the role adequate study or not (I've heard some conflicting opinions on that), but

2. There's anti-trans bias in the entertainment industry, and it can be difficult for trans actors to find work. While I don't think it's wrong for cis actors to play trans characters, I agree with the linked post that Leto's comment about how it shouldn't matter is a bit naive, considering it's uncommon for trans actors to be cast as cis characters.

3. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm sure there's room to discuss/criticize whether the character of Rayon was necessary or if she was written as a realistic, sympathetic person. I understand where people are coming from when they criticize the fact that she isn't based on a real person.

To be fair to Leto, he only has control over #1, though some of his statements come across as a little ignorant of #2 and #3.

When it comes down to it, I don't think Leto did anything particularly brave or fascinating by playing a trans woman, and I think the public's tendency to treat it as "brave" when a cis actor portrays a trans person is perhaps the biggest issue.

I'm sure I'll see the movie regardless, mainly because I like Matthew McConaughey.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
1. Jared Leto has made some comments that don't come across as very educated, though I think he means well. I'm not in a position to judge whether he gave the role adequate study or not (I've heard some conflicting opinions on that), but

Yes, I don't know what he did to prepare for the role. As an actor, I think all actors prepare differently, and what is enough preparation and research for one actor might not be for another. But how much research does he need to do just to know that his character is a transgendered woman? It seems that if he had just talked to some people, he would know that referring to her as a "creature" instead of a woman is not very respectful, even if he didn't mean it "that way."

2. There's anti-trans bias in the entertainment industry, and it can be difficult for trans actors to find work. While I don't think it's wrong for cis actors to play trans characters, I agree with the linked post that Leto's comment about how it shouldn't matter is a bit naive, considering it's uncommon for trans actors to be cast as cis characters.

The only example I know of is in Dario Argento's Tenebre, which features a transgendered actress who is not identified as a transgendered character. Argento seemed to think nothing of it. He only thought of her as a beautiful actress.

I don't think actors have to be transgendered to play transgendered characters, but I agree that his comments are naïve. It does not "go both ways," because trans actors aren't likely to be considered for cis roles. No one seems to notice this either, although they notice that Johnny Depp is part Native, but not Native enough to play Tonto.

When it comes down to it, I don't think Leto did anything particularly brave or fascinating by playing a trans woman, and I think the public's tendency to treat it as "brave" when a cis actor portrays a trans person is perhaps the biggest issue.

True. I'm an actor, and I rarely think of anything I do as "brave," nor do I think of very many roles that famous actors take on as "brave."

I'm sure I'll see the movie regardless, mainly because I like Matthew McConaughey.

Me too. I was so excited to see him in the movie, because I think it's not very often he gets to do movies worthy of his talent. Very underrated.

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Well, let me just say, that I've seen the movie and found it to be very moving. It does have some issues...anachronistic problems about when HIV was called HIV and so on, but the performances of Leto and McConaughey make this movie undeniably worth seeing.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
The only example I know of is in Dario Argento's Tenebre, which features a transgendered actress who is not identified as a transgendered character. Argento seemed to think nothing of it. He only thought of her as a beautiful actress.

I don't think actors have to be transgendered to play transgendered characters,

Another example I can think of is the late International Chrysis, who had a role in Q & A (1990). I haven't seen the film since it came out, and I can't remember if the character she played was transgender or not.

It will also be interesting to see how Alexis Arquette's career develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.