Not open for further replies.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I see an awful lot of headlines about which male celebrity Jennifer Aston is dating, or which woman Leonardo Di Caprio had dinner with, or what girl Prince Harry was texting....that's the equivalent of them 'coming out heterosexual'. Yet no one sees that as TMI, or 'throwing their het-ness in everyone's faces' or whatever.

^^^^^

This. It always comes off as very disingenuous when people complain about someone "making a deal" out of being gay, lesbian or bisexual. I take it to mean that they're uncomfortable with the notion of someone being anything other than straight, even when they insist they don't want to know about people's straightness either.

Actually, a lot of people see that as TMI and have the same "who the hell cares?" response. It has nothing to do with gay or straight - it has to do with "I don't care what their private lives are like.".

I have very little interest in the personal lives of celebrities myself. But I'm pretty sure people who feel as we do are distinct minority. If we weren't, all those magazines, shows, web sites and what not that are dedicated to celebrity gossip would not be doing as well as they clearly are.

And it's pretty clear that there is a double standard here. When a celebrity says he or she is gay or lesbian, there are always more people who scream TMI in a tone that suggests said celebrity was sharing lurid and graphic bedroom secrets and not simply declaring a preference for dating partner.

And to look at it from another angle, I actually think LGBT celebrities who talk about their orientation serves a far better purpose than straight celebrities talking about who they're dating etc. There are a lot of LGBT kids out there who are afraid to reveal their orientation to anyone. Even if they're lucky enough to have supportive friends and family members, they often feel very alone. If a celebrity makes even a few of these kids feel better about being who they are, then I think it's a good thing.

[Note--Kimjo said the same thing]

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, a lot of people see that as TMI and have the same "who the hell cares?" response. It has nothing to do with gay or straight - it has to do with "I don't care what their private lives are like.".

Did you see Ellen Page's coming out speech? It's about much more than just "what her private life is like."

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
I know what it's like to have other people make a big deal of what they assume to be my sexual orientation or tell me emphatically how a person of my biological sex is supposed to be and behave. I didn't start it, they did. What, we aren't allowed to talk about it ourselves? Fine, then: tell them to STFU.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Echoing what everyone else has said about the incredible importance of celebrities coming out because of the way it inspires and supports LGBTQ youth.

A lot of celebrity gossip is pure schadenfreude, and I don't care for it. People coming out, on the other hand, is important.* It's often personally and psychologically important to the person in question, and it's important for society in that it helps normalize being LGBTQ.

(* ETA: I don't mean "important" in the sense that a big deal should be made out of it, in a perfect world -- I wish we lived in a society where orientation was shrug-worthy -- but I mean it matters to society that people do it, that there are people demonstrating that it's okay not to hide if you don't want to.)

I know what it's like to have other people make a big deal of what they assume to be my sexual orientation or tell me emphatically how a person of my biological sex is supposed to be and behave. I didn't start it, they did. What, we aren't allowed to talk about it ourselves? Fine, then: tell them to STFU.

This is a really good point. Most of the time it's not the person coming out who's insisting on making a big deal about things, it's the media, to whom sexual orientation is (still, unfortunately) a newsworthy story. And celebrities know the media is going to make a big deal out of it no matter what they do, and the more private they try to be the more newsworthy the information is (and maybe they don't want sneak around and hide when they go on dates and constantly fear that the paparazzi will spot them and pounce -- I can't imagine making a decision as to how to come out in the face of that).

In fact, it looks like the most complicated decision in the world to me, how to come out as a celebrity. One recent example -- the to-be-pro football player -- IIRC he decided to come out publicly (he was already out to his team) after the information got leaked, I think? And he wanted to control the story and do it himself first. And other celebrities have come out after the media kept pestering them about rumors and gossip. Still others have made very much the opposite of a big deal out of their orientations, but have simply dated whom they liked without hiding it -- and then the media made a big deal about it.

And others have come out to the media because they didn't want to feel like they were living a lie, or because they wanted to stop any rumors before they started, or because they wanted to show they were proud of being with their partners, or for any number of excellent reasons, including "just because," which is in my opinion also an excellent reason.

But you know what? I don't care if celebrities make a big deal about coming out, because in the world we live in, which is still so incredibly full of prejudice, where queer teens are committing suicide and Arizona is trying to get laws passed that dehumanize gay people and homomsexuality is a capital crime in many places still (a capital crime!) and even in the United States sodomy was illegal in many states until 2003 -- until 2003 people's sex lives were crimes -- and we still don't have equal rights for same-sex couples in most states and a lot of people still face tremendous pressure from unsupportive families, well, considering all that and more, I think people can come out however the fuck they want to.

Last edited:

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
Heterosexuals seem to be the minority in show business. But there's a lot of factors, such as attention whores faking for publicity and the fact that film is an extension of theater.

Celebrities seem to have to major milestones. Coming out of the closet and getting checked into rehab. Revolving door rehab and going back into closet are optional.

But since we get the most exposure to celebrities, heteros being minority can seem that way. Not that they're right.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Heterosexuals appear to be the minority when weighed against people coming out as homosexual, bisexual, transgender, etc....

Because NO ONE COMES OUT AS HETEROSEXUAL. It's the default assumption. People see "all the celebs coming out" and assume that means straight, cis-gender folks are a minority, when I would venture to guess that that's because the people who *are* straight and cis-gender just don't find it necessary to mention it.

In an ideal world, either no one would come out or everyone would, regardless of sexuality, gender identity, etc. Unfortunately, this world is far from ideal.

Deleted member 42

Coming out of the closet and getting checked into rehab. Revolving door rehab and going back into closet are optional.

Jacob, aside from the logical gaps in your post, you really need to look about you a bit, and notice where you're posting.

Read the stickies; we're serious.

Conte Remo

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, my family is in the other room going on AGAIN about how "being a straight white male is the WORST thing you could be!!!" But my grandpa thankfully walked in and questioned that logic and said that he doesn't believe homosexuals get more benefits than straight people.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yay, grandpa.

Seriously, why in the hell would they think gay people have it easier than straight people in the world right now, when they're not even allowed to get married in most US states and other places too, and it's still legal to discriminate in employment, housing, adoption etc. in many places?

And there's that hate crime thing too.

Do people ever listen to themselves?

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
And people are idiots. Ain't nothing nice about being afraid to walk alone with your partner in certain cities, parts of the country, world etc. Anyone that envys that is seriously cracked.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, my family is in the other room going on AGAIN about how "being a straight white male is the WORST thing you could be!!!"
---

As a straight white male, I resent that accusation...or something. :sarcasm

I'm sorry, but people who go on rants about the LGBT crowd getting all these benefits while the straight crowd gets shafted really need to have their heads examined.

I'm not very smart, but anyone can see that same-sex marriages are still not allowed in many countries not to mention states within the USA, there's still rampant discrimination against them, they have to hide their orientation in many places in the world...the list of shit being flung at them is huge...and still, you have some straight people tossing that "oh, they got it good" crap.

Blech...

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
Go grandpa!

I'm actually kind of stunned people think like that. My guess is that they feel "excluded" because their local uni doesn't have a straight people club or something. News flash, the entire world is the straight people club.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Heterosexuals appear to be the minority when weighed against people coming out as homosexual, bisexual, transgender, etc....

Because NO ONE COMES OUT AS HETEROSEXUAL. It's the default assumption. People see "all the celebs coming out" and assume that means straight, cis-gender folks are a minority, when I would venture to guess that that's because the people who *are* straight and cis-gender just don't find it necessary to mention it.

In an ideal world, either no one would come out or everyone would, regardless of sexuality, gender identity, etc. Unfortunately, this world is far from ideal.
Part of me feels you may be saying the same thing...Only being way more subtle about it. But...

I have straight people come out to me all the time. When a woman at the office says something about her and her husband did this with the kids over the weekend, or (I worked in construction for years) guys on the site (or in the office, or on the street when we were walking to lunch) comment on a woman's legs. The thing is, of course, it only becomes a political act when I turn it around and say to the woman at the office: "Oh, yeah, me and my husband took our daughter there too!" And suddenly I'm all accused of coming out and making her uncomfortable and oversharing in the workplace ("No body wants to know what you do behind closed doors!").

Wow, reading that back, it sounds like a rant, when I was going for exasperated comedy. Well, I hope I made someone laugh.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow, reading that back, it sounds like a rant, when I was going for exasperated comedy. Well, I hope I made someone laugh.

I did, but it was a sad laugh, because it's so true. Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago (when I was still in college) with my dad where he was getting all eye rolley about a gay go-worker and how he was always rubbing everyone's face in it by talking about his partner. I looked at my dad and said, "So you never talk about mom at work?"

I actually shut him up, and he admitted I had a point. It may have been the first time I managed to do that.

cruellae

The evil twin; plotting
Registered
Reaction score
Go grandpa!

News flash, the entire world is the straight people club.

That is a great response. I'm going to have to remember it. I've always heard people complaining that white men have it harder, specifically when they talk about admissions into college or getting jobs. To me it's like a rich person complaining that their kid didn't get any scholarships to a college they can already afford. For white men it's easy enough to find a job, get into college. People who face discrimination for any reason have it harder in a lot of ways, not all of them obvious.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what would even happen at a Straight Students' Association meeting. I'm straight, but I can't think of anything I feel a need to discuss with fellow straight people as a class.

Of course, I'm not much of a joiner.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
That is a great response. I'm going to have to remember it. I've always heard people complaining that white men have it harder, specifically when they talk about admissions into college or getting jobs. To me it's like a rich person complaining that their kid didn't get any scholarships to a college they can already afford. For white men it's easy enough to find a job, get into college. People who face discrimination for any reason have it harder in a lot of ways, not all of them obvious.

Exactly! There are a disturbingly large amount of white boys at my uni who think they're being discriminated against. A lot of the times it's "I can't get a minority scholarship! Isn't that discrimination?"

But then when a black girl at my uni got followed in a CVS, searched and then arrested and humiliated because the shopkeeper suspected that she would steal something, they were all like, "It's racist... to blame the shopkeeper. You don't know the full story!"

One of them actually messaged me on fb (even though we weren't friends and I didn't know him) telling me not to do anything about what had happened to the girl in CVS. It was genuinely disturbing. Why did he care so much?

Sometimes I wonder how those people got into this school...

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly! There are a disturbingly large amount of white boys at my uni who think they're being discriminated against. A lot of the times it's "I can't get a minority scholarship! Isn't that discrimination?"

But then when a black girl at my uni got followed in a CVS, searched and then arrested and humiliated because the shopkeeper suspected that she would steal something, they were all like, "It's racist... to blame the shopkeeper. You don't know the full story!"

One of them actually messaged me on fb (even though we weren't friends and I didn't know him) telling me not to do anything about what had happened to the girl in CVS. It was genuinely disturbing. Why did he care so much?

Sometimes I wonder how those people got into this school...

The Weekly Sift had a great article a while back called The Distress of the Privileged.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly! There are a disturbingly large amount of white boys at my uni who think they're being discriminated against. A lot of the times it's "I can't get a minority scholarship! Isn't that discrimination?

As a white boy, I love this. As if there are not enough scholarships for academic achievement, sports, economic status, from churches, from volunteer groups, and general any-one-can-apply scholarships.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
The Weekly Sift had a great article a while back called The Distress of the Privileged.

Interesting read! I've seen that attitude a lot but that explains it pretty well.

As a white boy, I love this. As if there are not enough scholarships for academic achievement, sports, economic status, from churches, from volunteer groups, and general any-one-can-apply scholarships.

Exactly! Even then, you can still apply for a Polish heritage scholarship or something. It's not like white guys are locked out of ethnic/nationality scholarships, it's just that they can't apply for minority status (except, amusingly, at the University of Hawaii.)

Last edited:

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
This kind of stuff always gets under my skin. It always seems to happen this way... something is unequal between two groups of people for years and years. And then when things FINALLY get moving the right direction, the group that had it better for so long starts to complain that it's not fair. Reverse discrimination and all that garbage. Well, why weren't those people complaining about the unfair situation before when it affected other people? What does it say about you if you only care about what's fair when you feel personally affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.