Seeking an early reader / beta reader, memoir (QUILTBAGGY / LGBTQish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
Here's the relevant Query/Pitch. It's "The Story of Q: A GenderQueer Tale"

So, yeah, I'm at the stage where I'd like to get some feedback, preferably from lesbian, gay, bi, trans, intersex, and/or genderqueer / otherqueer / etc folks.

Kinds of feeback I'm most interested in & would find most useful:

• "I found myself quite caught up in it. I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened next" versus "I found it a difficult slog to be honest, I sort of wanted to whap the MC over the head with a frying pan and put him out of his misery" or "I kept getting distracted by more interesting reading material like the Sears catalog" or whatever

• "Personally as a gay fellow (or transwoman or bi person etc) I could (or could not) relate to the book, it did (or did not) speak to me and my experiences", OR "I actually found this or that passage offensive or politically problematic as a G (LBTQRSTUVetc) person—you need to consider this or that / how you come across / what you may be interpreted as saying" or other comment on it from a specifically LGBTQ perspective

• "This would SO have been topical in, like, 1984 or even 1994, but the world is not in need of your coming-out story at this point, it's been done, it's redundant, it's derivative" versus "I think it adds a unique gender/sexuality voice that is needed and there's nothing that really covers this part of the overall gender/orientation picture and I feel like I learned a lot" versus "Hmm, yeah, interesting case study and a useful contribution but not dramatically different from The Book That Someone Already Wrote and The Other Book You Should Really Read"

Kinds of feedback I'm not as much trying to obtain but I would of course benefit from if that's your inclination as beta reader:

• "Pages 9-14 really lose the train of thought and I think you should ditch the section where yadda yadda and you say several times that blahblah and blah and I think you'd benefit by more concrete examples"

• "On page 71 you have 'recieved'; on page 98 you have a sentence fragment; on page 103 your subject/verb agreement is out of kilter, you would not say 'say', your subject is actually singular there because..."

• "I think this could be a good book if you took the time to learn how to write. Here are the ways in which your writing seriously sucks in a broad overall sense..."

Anyhowwwww ... if you'd be interested, please PM me or reply here to the thread!

Also, I'm open to doing turnabout as fair play if you'd like a beta reader yourself.

** takes deep breath, hits the Submit button **

Last edited:

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a beta reader, but I'm an editor who specializes in LGBT fiction (what with being a lesbian and all). Visit my site and let me know if you're interested in working together.

airship wreck

Ignoring plot carp
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's been a month since you posted this, but I'd be interested in reading your memoir and trying to provide the kind of feedback you're looking for (if you're still looking). I do identify as genderqueer myself, so that probably helps. I'm not looking for a beta reader for my own work at the time, but it might be nice to get some feedback on a character sketch or two. PM me?

Status
Not open for further replies.