Not open for further replies.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all :)
{{Sammi}}
Sunna, yay for supplements and starry eyes!

Re: Happy Holidays - thanks to a FB friend, I now have the perfect argument to shut those people up. Holidays comes from the old English Halidaeg, which means Holy Days. So it's not the slightest bit anti-religious, merely inclusive.

Ha! You beat me to it--I was going to point out holidays=holy days. :D I like all the traditional trappings that come with Christmas, and the smells, but the obligations get me down. I think when you do things because "that's what you do", some people don't appreciate it as much as they otherwise would. They view it as their due, rather than something special freely given.

ETA: Favorite Christmas movie. Hrm. I'm fond of The Ref and Die Hard, and I'll leave the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on if it's on. I think we mostly watch TV series Holiday specials--I love when tv shows do Halloween and Christmas episodes--and cartoons, to be honest. Oh, and Meet Me in St. Louis, when I was a kid. I wanted Rose's Christmas ballgown so bad.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, that's "Meet John Doe." It's been a lot of years since I've seen it, though.

We like "It's a Wonderful Life." It's moving, but it doesn't make me cry. I'm tough, or cold and unfeeling. One of those.

For our other holiday choices, we like movies which are not warm, spiritual, or sweet, but which are set at Christmas. We like "Die Hard," "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (although annually is too often for me), "A Midnight Clear," "Arthur," "Bridget Jones's Diary," "The Godfather" (and "The Godfather II" for New Year's Eve), "In Bruges," "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," and "Three Days of the Condor."

Great, now I want to watch movies all afternoon!

Maryn, lazy beyatch

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Re: A Christmas Story. I know lots of people love that film, but I honestly do not see why. There aren't many movies I despise, but that is pretty near the top of my list. That kid in it is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Not sure why. I think he is why I never had kids. (j/k)

Fave Christmas movie? I don't have one. If I had to pick one, maybe Miracle on 34th Street or A Christmas Carol, but really I like most of them.

+1 I can't stand that movie. And my in-laws always watch it during the holidays.

My favorite: Rudolph. Love the Island of Misfits toys. :D

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
My favorite holiday movies are White Christmas, The Ref, RED and Pocketful of Miracles.

Home sick. I'm not a good sick person. I always feel like I'll never get better. *grumble grumble*

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Confession: I've not seen 'A Christmas Story' and, frankly, it doesn't appeal to me. I haven't seen Miracle on 34th Street either, although I'm not sure why.

The British tradition is watching 'The Great Escape'. Heaven knows why, but it always seems to be on around Christmas time.

I like 'The Preacher's Wife' and 'Love Actually', 'Bridget Jones', 'Notting Hill'. I'm with Maryn, I like the feelgood movies.

Christmas to me, isn't about conspicuous consumption, it's about peace and family.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've never seen A Christmas Story, either--it seemed to be on the lines of Home Alone, which I got suckered into watching once. Hate. Hate. Hate.

Jumanji. Love this movie. Also chokes me up a bit, but I can suppress it. (The moment where they tell the kids' parents "NO!" when they're going to leave for the ski trip that will kill them. I'm weird.) I watch it whenever it's on.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
+1 I can't stand that movie. And my in-laws always watch it during the holidays.

My favorite: Rudolph. Love the Island of Misfits toys. :D
+2.

i love it. and i like the christmas season, what it embodies-- the spirit of love and family, and what i missed out on in childhood. someone was in my tweet line dissing santa, and before they could diss lil' rudolph, i pulled away.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all!

The Ref, Love Actually, and the Christmas episode of Buffy when it snows in Sunnydale. (TV counts, right?)

Bill Nighy totally makes that movie. "Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and people will give you them for free."

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
+2.

i love it. and i like the christmas season, what it embodies-- the spirit of love and family, and what i missed out on in childhood. someone was in my tweet line dissing santa, and before they could diss lil' rudolph, i pulled away.

Who is hating on Rudolph??? *hugs*

Hey all!

The Ref, Love Actually, and the Christmas episode of Buffy when it snows in Sunnydale. (TV counts, right?)

YES! Absolutely, counts.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I've never seen A Christmas Story, either--it seemed to be on the lines of Home Alone, which I got suckered into watching once. Hate. Hate. Hate.

No. A Christmas Story is nothing like Home Alone. Home Alone makes the kid look smarter and more special than he is. A Christmas Story reminds you of just how stupid you were when you were a kid.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Oh, ffffuuuuuuuuuudge."

His poor little friend, getting beat to death on the other end of the line, haha.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Right? I spent my entire childhood getting picked on.n

Favorite Christmas movies: Miracle on 34th St. in B&W, It's a Wonderful Life, The Ref, Die Hard ( :) ), an ABC Family one called Three Days with Kristin Stewart. And yes, Phoenix, that episode of Buffy with the First is great. :)

I'll be in the corner in a ball for the rest of the day. If I didn't have these children to take care of, I'd go back to bed. I hate not having control over things, and right now I feel like I have no control over anything, there's a secretary in the Dallas office who's trying to get my husband into bed and he'd headed ther on a business trip Monday and is the MOST clueless man alive when it comes to women flirting with him (but jeebus, you guys should see these computer chat logs) and I've just generally worried myself to the point of feeling sick and I want to go crawl in a hole.

Someone make me laugh. I can't watch Denis Leary with my preschooler.

Hope everyone's Friday is going well. :heart:

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon Purgies!

Long week for me and I haven't caught up at all. I've only got a few minutes - I just repacked and will be headed to Australia in a few minutes. I'll collapse onto my bed in my hotel room in... 33 hours if all goes well. Gah! On the bright side, I got upgraded to Business (lie flat seat - WOOT!), and after two dozen trips to Australia, I finally got smart - I'm bringing a pair of sweats (man-pajamas) in my carry-on so I can get comfy on the overnight flight from San Fran to Sydney. Plus, it's summer Down Under and I've packed my swim trunks. I "might" be able to catch a few hours by the pool next week.

Blue is in Australia and I'll miss hooking up with her - I have to go straight thru from Sydney to Perth. It would have been so much fun to have a meet-up with her in Australia. Only 20 minutes away, but I can't layover this time. I'm sad.

Anyway, I'll be in the hotel that charges $19 per day for Internet, so I'll be going dark until I return home a week before Christmas. (Crap, I still haven't done any shopping, and with no Internet... Looks like it's going to be last-minute shopping this year.)

Take care everyone, and I'll see you in a few.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Awkward childhood? Isn't that a requirement for being a writer? : )

I don't dislike A Christmas Story, but it's not a movie I'm really crazy to ever see again. And despite living in Cleveland for five years, I never visited the house museum. (Also never went to the Rock Hall.)

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud:

I survived. 137 people showed, which is about right. 50% of RSVP list is standard. The place was packed. Phone conference in an hour. *crawls into hole*

Did anyone see A Chr!stm@s St0ry in the movie theatre? I did, with my dad. I think there were all of eight people in the place. I literally almost fell off my chair, laughing:
Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.

We both agreed we'd never laughed so hard during a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.