Status
Not open for further replies.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I'm posting this with the permission of my 18-year-old gender fluid child. Because they're gender fluid, I'm posting here in QUILTBAG; mods, if this belongs elsewhere, please feel free to move.

They attend a cosmetology school with a written anti-discrimination policy that includes gender identity. One of their instructors, a heterosexual man, has consistently refused to use my child's chosen name, and refers to them as "it." When my child spoke with the school's director, she followed up with the instructor--who then switched from using my child's birth name to using their *last* name because "that's what's on the roster." (He was SPECIFICALLY told by the administrator to use my child's chosen name.)

My child followed up with the administrator yesterday, and she spoke to the instructor again. Today he was calling my child a whiner and was bullying them even more than before--in addition to STILL using their last name and the pronoun "it." The administrators were unavailable today, so my child is now on their way home from school after a morning of being bullied and harassed by this asshole.

In speaking with other students, my child has learned that a transwoman who is enrolled there was treated the same way by this instructor, including use of her male birth name and the pronoun "it." A gay male student told my child that the instructor has called him a fag in class, and a female student who identifies as straight and cis-gender was given failing grades by the instructor because "I just don't like you."

The school's solution as stated to my child was "If he doesn't stop, you'll be removed from his class so you don't have to deal with it." But they are making no move to address the INSTRUCTOR's discrimination and bullying of students.

I'm not looking for legal advice. I've already (again with my child's permission) contacted the ACLU and the Transgender Law Center. What I guess I'm looking for is other suggestions on how my husband (my kiddo's stepdad) and I can handle this, support the kiddo, and address this with the school. I would honestly prefer to have a meeting with the administration and take care of it that way, but my kid has tried that. Though hubby and I weren't involved, and maybe hearing from the parents would push things along. Hubby's also suggested contacting local media if the school continues to ignore the issue, but I hesitate to do that because it would mean outing my child (who is okay with being outed if it solves the problem, but their father and his family don't know they're gender fluid and it would not be good for that family to find out).

I'm also looking for any words of support or encouragement that I can pass along to my kiddo.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm guessing Kiddo knows the fault isn't with them? Cos that's really important but from what I know of you, I reckon you have that covered.

Hmm... this is a tricky one. Would the threat of a lawsuit push it on? Or will that make it worse?

It puzzles me why a school with a written policy on discrimination continues to employ this arsehole.

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Miranda, I wish I knew why he's still employed there, because apparently other students have complained about his treatment of them.

And yeah, kiddo knows who's really at fault here. And is prepared to go public with their gender identity if it means publicizing this and getting the school to either address it or to make the public aware that the school is allowing discrimination. I have a very strong kid, and I've already told them how proud I am of them for enduring this and being prepared to take it as far as need be to get it resolved.

At this point, I'm not inclined to threaten a lawsuit; I would prefer to just meet with the school's administrators and let them know this has crossed a line and they need to give me a written plan of how they're dealing with it. But we're getting our ducks in a row just in case.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but this is a private school to which you pay tuition, right? It's entirely possible that such discrimination is perfectly legal (though disgusting, mean-spirited, and morally reprehensible) because gender-fluid and trans people are not a protected class.

I would meet with the administration and your child, asking flat-out why they retain an instructor who is verbally abusive to students after having been warned, and demanding they deal with the dude rather than rotate your offspring out of the class. Ask them to show you a plan for how they will deal with it, showing what the consequences will be for the instructor if he fails to meet each goal they set.

Maryn, who's not letting anybody put Baby in the corner

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KimJo, I don't know how things work in your country so I have no advice to give, but I wanted to let you and your child know that reading about this teacher made me feel sick. What a truly nasty person. He has no right being around young people - none at all.

I think the only thing I have to offer is to say this is one of those cases where I would be up at the school, with my partner, making formal complaints on a daily basis - which is not at all the kind of parent I am, usually. But bullies get stopped by bigger people and this man's a twisted bully. I'd start my making a very strong stand to his employers, with the clear indication that there's a lot more of this to come if it's required. It's not just your child you're protecting, but other, less securely-placed, more vulnerable kids.

Big hug to your child who sounds like a wonderful kid.

ETA: I remember when my first-born, who had fairly big hospitalisations during his childhood, turned 18. His medical team called us in for a meeting to make sure we understood that 18 was a legal determinant, not a psycho-emotional one. They apparently had this meeting with all the ex-kids hospital children: 18 might sound adult, they said, but it's only adult sometimes and then insecurely. There's still often a lot of care and protection needed. Your kid is a work in progress, so let them know that it's ok to fluctuate between "I can handle this" and "I need some parent-help." In the case of hospital-kids, they said it apropos medication-compliance and stuff; but I think it probably holds true for many young people. They can need support and protection for a little while longer.

But I'm sure your kid knows that and is secure in having it. :Hug2:

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
KJ, it seems to me that all 3 of you have a good grip of it and I wish you luck with getting it sorted. And well done on the way you've handled it so far. Kiddo is in good hands

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
...I've already (again with my child's permission) contacted the ACLU and the Transgender Law Center. ...

Good move. I'd expect Massachusetts law to be somewhat more squared away than just back-and-forth with admin until the class ends?

...I'm also looking for any words of support or encouragement that I can pass along to my kiddo.
:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

Dignity, dignity, dignity. Whatever course of action, be as calm and self-possessed in public as possible (including in conversations with other students). Let the unsociable party be known by his unreasonable/aggressive demeanor and behavior.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say Kiddo has a most excellent family!

My first mind says go in and let have with this heifer. Bullies require a firm hand and where I'm from,that usually means upside their head. I'm a confrontational soul and don't mind getting folks together,especially about my children. Reading your post made me very angry. BUT being an adult,I fully support the route you guys are taking and don't want Kiddo to go Mortal Kombat on dude's ass.

I echo SWest,but also add a tidbit of my own. Kiddo is NOT to take the disrespect. Period. You can put a person in their place without resorting to their level. Tell Kiddo that there are people in the world who are not okay with this foolishness and are supportive.

Last edited:

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Just gonna second the overall advice here, and suggest some formal complaining - possibly contact the parents of the other bullied children?
Sounds like your Kiddo couldn't have a more supportive family. :)

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Thanks, everyone. Hubby and I, as well as kiddo's stepmother, do our best to support her. (Their father doesn't know they're gender fluid.)

I'm not a lawyer, but this is a private school to which you pay tuition, right? It's entirely possible that such discrimination is perfectly legal (though disgusting, mean-spirited, and morally reprehensible) because gender-fluid and trans people are not a protected class.

I would meet with the administration and your child, asking flat-out why they retain an instructor who is verbally abusive to students after having been warned, and demanding they deal with the dude rather than rotate your offspring out of the class. Ask them to show you a plan for how they will deal with it, showing what the consequences will be for the instructor if he fails to meet each goal they set.

Maryn, who's not letting anybody put Baby in the corner

Maryn, it's a cosmetology school, so we pay tuition. But kiddo dug out their written discrimination policy, which includes that no discrimination is permitted on basis of "religion, sexual orientation... (a bunch of other things)...and anything else legally protected." Further research by kiddo revealed that in Massachusetts, gender identity is legally protected against discrimination. So this is illegal and against school policy.

McCardey, kiddo knows they can ask us for help at any time. I've told them they are far from alone in dealing with this.

SWest, kiddo told me several students came to them and mentioned problems with this same instructor, and not always based on sexuality or gender identity (though there were a couple of cases of that). Kiddo's trying to rise above and remember that they have a lot of support from us, from other students, and from other instructors at the school.

Kitty, I'd love to go Mortal Kombat on the jackwagon, but I'm trying to manage it through more peaceful channels first. lol. Kiddo isn't accepting the treatment, they are trying to address it both with the instructor and with other staff.

Storm, to clarify, this is a cosmetology school and all the students are legally adults; many are out on their own, and the other GLBT students who have run into problems with this instructor aren't out to their families. So unfortunately, contacting other parents wouldn't work, but kiddo is speaking with the other students who have encountered this.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, so it's not just their own policy they're disregarding but state law as well.

Burn them with fire! Oh, did I say that out loud?

Maryn, shocked at herself

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
Just adding a post of support. :Hug2:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
As most of the people involved seem to be legally adults, how about not speaking to the parents, but try to get written statements, if not actual appearances by, the other students he's bullied? A wide range of students, that he's bullied and harassed for various reasons, or none at all.
That way the administration can't claim that it's just a problem between kiddo and the idiot instructor, and thus solveable by moving kiddo.
Also, try to find out if any of these other students have appealed to the administration (with no apparent result if he feels free to behave the same way). Because that would show a pattern of ignoring the problem, rather than the administration claiming they'd never had a problem before.
And my best wishes to your grinding this jerk's career in the dirt. He shouldn't be anywhere near impressionable minds, child or adult.
Tell kiddo to stay strong.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As most of the people involved seem to be legally adults, how about not speaking to the parents, but try to get written statements, if not actual appearances by, the other students he's bullied? A wide range of students, that he's bullied and harassed for various reasons, or none at all.
That way the administration can't claim that it's just a problem between kiddo and the idiot instructor, and thus solveable by moving kiddo.
Also, try to find out if any of these other students have appealed to the administration (with no apparent result if he feels free to behave the same way). Because that would show a pattern of ignoring the problem, rather than the administration claiming they'd never had a problem before.
And my best wishes to your grinding this jerk's career in the dirt. He shouldn't be anywhere near impressionable minds, child or adult.
Tell kiddo to stay strong.

Yes - I like this.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Just adding a post of support. My best to Kiddo, and I echo what everyone else has said about this instructor being the scum of the earth -- I'm so sorry they have to deal with that.

It sounds like you folks are doing everything right. One thing I will add -- IANAL, but I've been told that one thing that can be very important is documentation. Even something as simple as recording the dates and instances when things happen, or keeping a log of the sequence of events and the official actions taken. And it will be especially useful to have records if this escalates -- even if they're not court-admissable documents (again, IANAL), I can't imagine that wouldn't at least be helpful.

Good luck. And I'm glad you happen to be in a state that has your back on this, just in case.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I can't give specific advice either, but it's encouraging that your home state makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender identity. I'm furious on your child's and the other students' behalf. I can understand why the school would be reluctant to remove an instructor halfway through the term, as it can be hard to find a replacement mid-way, but they need to get rid of him. He should not be teaching. I suspect these cases of mistreatment are just the tip of the iceberg.

My best to you and Kiddo, and I hope you can arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Thanks, everyone. Medievalist, I appreciate the link, and I'll share it with kiddo. (Though it doesn't appear to cover education... but I haven't read it thoroughly yet.)

Frimble, my kid's been talking to their classmates and is feeling the others out to find out whether anyone else is willing to speak out publicly about the instructor. The transgender woman my kiddo is friends with said that in her case, the harassment stopped when she screamed at the instructor in front of the rest of the class, and that the administration's only addressing of the situation appeared to be changing her name on the class roster so the instructor would stop calling her by her male birth name, under which she'd had to enroll because that was her legal name.

slhuang, I had kiddo sit down yesterday and write out everything they remember the instructor saying. I didn't think to have kiddo include dates, but they know when they were first put into this instructor's class, and apparently it's been going on since day one.

Roxxsmom, "term" is relative at this school; it's an 8-month program and they start new classes about every 4-6 weeks, so enrollment and graduation dates overlap greatly.

Last edited:

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Since I read that you're in Massachusetts, I'll recommend calling the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (http://www.masstpc.org). They're an amazing organization (that I used to intern at!) and may have more resources/support for you and your child. When I was there, we took a lot of intake calls about discrimination and were often able to provide assistance in various ways. It truly disgusts me that this school is allowing your child, and other students, to be treated this way by a faculty member.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add to ericalynn's suggestion that you or your child talk to GLAD (Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders), a MA legal services organization that has great experience and resources for dealing with sexual orientation/gender identity discrimination. They do telephone intake 1:30 to 4:30 M-F at 800-455-GLAD.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The transgender woman my kiddo is friends with said that in her case, the harassment stopped when she screamed at the instructor in front of the rest of the class, and that the administration's only addressing of the situation appeared to be changing her name on the class roster so the instructor would stop calling her by her male birth name, under which she'd had to enroll because that was her legal name.
So, in at least one other case, the administration was made aware of what this jerk is like? And, the jerk knows he's in the wrong because he stopped when publicly called out on it? (At least that's how I'm defining 'screaming at him'.) Interesting, too, because I'd think that people screaming at instructors would get in trouble with the administration: so it's likely that they knew she had cause to scream.

I'm betting that if this blows up into wider knowledge, and the school decides to 'investigate', reports of his behavior are going through the roof. Odds are he's been getting away with this for ages, (why else would he be so fearless?) and that students either feared repercussions, at home or at school, or just wanted their grade and they were out of there.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I have any advice that others haven't already given, but I wish you the best of luck. I'm impressed by how assertive your kid is being, and I think it's wonderful how supportive you are of them.

It's great to see that Massachusetts has such good anti-discrimination laws. Yay Massachusetts! That's a big deal--if sexual orientation and gender identity weren't included in state anti-discrimination laws, you'd have fewer legal options.

This is instructor sounds horrible. Why do they let him continue to get by with this? I wonder if there are some weird politics going on behind the scenes. That, or they find it easier to try to placate student complaints than to discipline or fire the teacher.

I definitely agree with the people who have said that documentation is important, and that rallying with other students who have experienced hostility or unfairness from this instructor could help.

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Ericalynn, thanks, we'll check into that.

Ketzel, that's the organization Medievalist linked to above, I think... we're looking into them as well.

Frimble, yep. The instructor is very careful of what he says when other staff members are around, and according to kiddo the only thing he's said to them when other students were around was the use of kiddo's last name. So the instructor's covering his behavior, and it becomes his word against students' word, I guess. I don't even know what the school is thinking anymore.

Maenid, I have no idea, but we are going to get to the bottom of this.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The other students might have heard, and could vouch for your child.

This instructor sounds like a nightmare. I hope you sort this out soon.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm impressed by how assertive your kid is being, and I think it's wonderful how supportive you are of them.

Ditto above.

And - I don't know how legal this is, but there have been numerous YouTube videos of teachers behaving badly. Perhaps not post it anywhere, but have a phone video of the teacher? If he's acting ok in public and only lashes out in private, having some proof might be useful. In dealing with the administration if nothing else.

Of course, the legalities ... dunno. But the organizations others have mentioned might be able to advise on that.

Wishing you and Kiddo all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.