Laudable Gay Characters on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Okay, so after the recent debacle of Scandal reaching back into last century's Playbook of Tropes to Bury Their Gays, I've been having a conversation online about whether there are any laudable gay characters on broadcast tv. Most of the opposition to my contention that there are DAMNED FEW is that we (meaning, I assume, "us gays") are culturally "winning"...But honestly, what exactly are we winning?

I visited GLAAD's site and found their list. Interesting to note that two of the five are from cancelled shows (no longer airing) and two of the remaining three are a couple on the same show.

I'll be the first to admit that Scandal left me feeling stricken (I loved that show despite it's ridiculous plots and really felt personally offended by what it did) and may be conflating this loss of gay tv characters as a result. I'd be very interested in hearing what others think.

NOTE: I considered this thread for "Movies, TV and Theatre" and then reconsidered and placed it here. I feel slightly cowardly about that now...

Last edited:

Miri_Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I agree that there are far too few QUILTBAG characters on TV (and far too few minorities of any type, while we're at it.) That said, here are a few of my favorite gay characters currently gracing the small screen:

Diana Berrigan (Marsha Thomason) on White Collar. A story line I liked: once gay marriage became legal in New York, Diana's girlfriend wanted to walk down the aisle. But Diana panicked and balked--and I understood just where she was coming from! The plot took an odd turn later when the actress became pregnant: suddenly the character who wasn't ready for the commitment of marriage decided to have a baby on her own. (I haven't really bought that, but I understand the show's dilemma.)

Sonny Kiriakis (Freddie Smith) on the daytime soap Days of Our Lives. Heck, he might win the award for the all-time-nicest-and-most-level-headed character. He has a fairly stable relationship with his husband Will Horton, although, in true soap opera fashion, they are surrounded by crazy family members. So he has to contend with issues like accidentally overhearing that his mother-in-law, grandmother-in-law and his husband's ex had jointly committed murder . . .

And yes, Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Cam (Eric Stonestreet) from Modern Family. They can be over the top--but everyone on that show is over the top, which is part of its charm.

I don't watch Scandal, so I have no comment on whatever the show did to a gay character. :cry:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Grey's Anatomy for sure, listed in the link

And Brothers and Sisters. From an article in 2008:

Although homosexual relationships aren't prohibited on TV, only a number of shows have incorporated gay romantic scenes in their storylines. And because of this, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) compliments Brothers & Sisters and its home network ABC for giving importance to Kevin and Scotty's love story.

I personally thought their love story was the best storyline in the show, and I loved that show! I cried at their wedding, I cried when they were fighting...I loved them together and thought the show did a really great job of it.

I haven't seen the latest Scandal, but I think I know what you're talking about.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Going back a very long way, how about Billy Crystal's character Jodie in Soap?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think a big issue is the way gay people, especially gay men, are played for laughs on TV and film - you know, the over the top, supper camp guy who spends all of his time preening. Strangely lesbians tend to be played as super serious, very butch and surly characters. I hate stereotypes and I'd certainly like to see more gay characters and couples with prominent roles that aren't stereotypes but normal, real people.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I have another one. Nolan on Revenge. He is awesome. That show is a bit more...fantasy LOL...but still. He rocks. He's odd and flamboyant, but it's not because he's gay (or rather, bi). It's because he's rich and can get away with it.

shaldna, I think you're right. I like it much more when gay and lesbian characters are just...other people. Another complex character added to the mix. That's the way it should be, and the longer we continue to stereotype these characters, the longer before society as a whole accepts the real gay and lesbian community.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
David and Keith on Six Feet Under. Far from stereotypes - no one on that show was a stereotype. Loved that show.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any good bi characters on TV like, anywhere?
The Good Wife's Kalinda is my favorite queer character currently on tv. And she is very bi! And Revenge's Nolan (mentioned above) was made bi in the mostly forgotten clusterf--- that was season 2 (in seasons 1 & 3 [currently airing] he seems to be mostly gay).

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
How about the gay couple in Desperate Housewives? They seemed like rounded characters. Well... as rounded as anyone in that madness! LOL!

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
One thing I noticed on the list--unless I missed something--is that they identified the character of Adam on Degrassi as straight.

Which is true, but what the list didn't say (that I saw) is that Adam is transgender... he was the first teenage transgender character on a mainstream TV show, if I remember right.

Speaking of non-cisgender characters, the list didn't include Unique on Glee...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Diana Berrigan (Marsha Thomason) on White Collar.

Sonny Kiriakis (Freddie Smith) on the daytime soap Days of Our Lives.
Good to know--I don't watch either of those shows. (P.S. Have you heard Sister Wendy gush over the painting you use as your avatar? She's adorable.)

Going back a very long way, how about Billy Crystal's character Jodie in Soap?
Oh, I agree there have indeed been great gay characters in the past. In fact, my OP was to express my fear that the current lack of many gay characters is indicative that we are perhaps entering some sort of post-gay tv world, where representation has broken off into niche markets (HBO's Looking, for ex.).

I worry about gay kids who have no access to those niche markets.
The married female couple on The Fosters who has several foster children is definitely not stereotypical.
What and where is that?

Last edited:

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
The GLAAD page isn't loading for me, so I don't know if it mentions these already, but there's also Cosima, Delphine, and Felix from Orphan Black, and Steve Jinks and H.G. Wells from Warehouse 13. Of those, H.G. Wells is bi for certain, and I read Delphine as bi as well, though I don't know if that's canon.

In their most recent episode, Hannibal introduced Margot Verger, who is a lesbian in the book, and the director has confirmed she's gay in the show as well.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
It made me smile to see Oscar from The Office on the list. I always liked that it was a part of his character, but at the same time, it didn't define his character. He was just a guy... who was gay.

I didn't see anyone from Orange is the New Black on the list. Alex Vause makes me swoon.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Are there any good bi characters on TV like, anywhere?

If you don't mind reruns, I loved the character of Mr. Humphries on Are You Being Served, a Britcom from the 70's. Very risque for the time and, frankly, for today because he was totally accepted for who he was. Brilliantly played by John Inman. His orientation was never stated directly, but there are episodes where he had dates the previous night with both men and women. :)

Last edited:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I may be a bit behind the times (this show was cancelled in like 2011) but what about Jack Benjamin on Kings? Not necessarily laudable, but nobody's behaviour was laudable on that show, and he's definitely more relatable than the straight Gary Stu we were supposed to be cheering for...

Status
Not open for further replies.