Stupid things non-writers say

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
My 7 year old daughter recently when asked what 'Mummy' did for a living:

'She pisses about on the computer, plays World of Warcraft and makes spaghetti.'

We had to have a conversation about 'pisses.' Although this is the same child who recently, when asked what she was drawing, told me 'I don't have to explain my art to you.'

#whathaveibred

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Here's another one on me querying.

Me: I hope this query is enticing enough.

Him: What? Why? You already wrote the book. They don't need your email to be enticing. Just get to the point. Say, "here's my book. Greatest thing ever, blah, blah."

Me: That's not how it works. You can't just tell them it's the greatest thing ever. You know how many other people tell them the exact same thing and get rejected?

Cue argument and talking over one another, and near the end...

Me: Why do you always act like you know everything? I've researched all this stuff. You haven't. So, where are you getting all your info from?

Him: I've been in business. I've written essays and wrote reports. They always want you to get straight to the point.

Me: I am getting to the point in the query. But I'm also trying to make it sound exciting enough. And just because you've been in a business doesn't mean you know the writing business. Not all businesses are the same.

Him: I don't wanna hear it. Go.

I was two seconds away from killing him.

He was wrong. Shouldn't he be the one to go?

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another one on me querying.

Me: I hope this query is enticing enough.

Him: What? Why? You already wrote the book. They don't need your email to be enticing. Just get to the point. Say, "here's my book. Greatest thing ever, blah, blah."

Me: That's not how it works. You can't just tell them it's the greatest thing ever. You know how many other people tell them the exact same thing and get rejected?

Cue argument and talking over one another, and near the end...

Me: Why do you always act like you know everything? I've researched all this stuff. You haven't. So, where are you getting all your info from?

Him: I've been in business. I've written essays and wrote reports. They always want you to get straight to the point.

Me: I am getting to the point in the query. But I'm also trying to make it sound exciting enough. And just because you've been in a business doesn't mean you know the writing business. Not all businesses are the same.

Him: I don't wanna hear it. Go.

I was two seconds away from killing him.

Why start these arguments discussions in the first place if you don't want his opinion. Just don't bother asking him about it or telling him about it.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
The first time I told him that I wanted to write fiction, he was like, "I don't know anyone who reads fiction. How am I going to promote your book?" He insisted that I write my life story instead - or his. o_O

Hhm. Two thoughts

1. Would he tell you the truth or would it be fiction? :D At least in places. :D

2. Character in a book I read long while back, set out to write his autobiography, got bored by page five, wrote a ripping yarn instead and it was turned into a successful musical. Only in fiction....... :D

Incidentally, I've had career advice from a relative on what was then my day job and said relative had never, ever worked in the field I was working in. Said relative capped it off when I got a new improved job in the same field, was very, very pleased, told them about it and got the response "I know people doing the same thing as you are and they were unemployed at thirty."
Its not just writing where people think they know it all.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mailtime I agree with justkia, don't even talk about stuff like that with him. post stuff here for feedback and just tell him you are working on submitting your novel.

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
Hhm. Two thoughts

1. Would he tell you the truth or would it be fiction? :D At least in places. :D
I told him that if I write his life story, it's gotta be a no-holds-barred tell-all. He chuckled and said, "Nah. Your mom has to read it and sensor it before anyone else sees it."

O_O

2. Character in a book I read long while back, set out to write his autobiography, got bored by page five, wrote a ripping yarn instead and it was turned into a successful musical. Only in fiction....... :D
That actually sounds like a fun thing to do, considering writing my autobiography will definitely bore me from the first sentence. Might as well make it a cross-over between non-fiction and Alice in Wonderland kind of thing. Haha...

Ivane in Wonderland. (Now it just sounds like wish-fulfillment fan fiction.)

Incidentally, I've had career advice from a relative on what was then my day job and said relative had never, ever worked in the field I was working in. Said relative capped it off when I got a new improved job in the same field, was very, very pleased, told them about it and got the response "I know people doing the same thing as you are and they were unemployed at thirty."
Its not just writing where people think they know it all.
So true! I had a relative pushing me to go after the degree she had in college, saying that the one I wanted had no job opportunities whatsoever. Let's just say that I'm glad I didn't listen to her.

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
Friend: I want to become a writer. How do I become one?
Me: You write.
Friend: I don't know how to.
Me: .....................................

I seriously never know how to react to that one. O_O This has happened to me more than once and it always leaves me kind of just chuckling awkwardly or scratching my head over the whole matter.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
To be perfectly fair, writing isn't some innate skill. It's a learned thing.

Think about playing the piano. To recast your conversation:

Friend: I want to become a pianist. How do I become one?
Me: You play the piano.
Friend: I don't know how to.
Me: .....................................

You can be taught to play the piano by use of simple exercises - to give you the basic muscle memory so you can do more complicated things.

I would suggest the same is true of writing. Being able to put pen to paper and construct a sentence is equivalent to knowing you have to press the keys on the piano. There's a lot more to it than that.

Last edited:

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. Have never really thought of it that way.

I agree that writing is not an innate skill - although some are more gifted than others, same thing with playing the piano. My confusion stems out of the fact that most writers I know - myself included - really just began writing in order to become a writer. It was something that I did - even before I decided that I wanted to become a writer. It's something that I would most likely still do even if I didn't want to become a writer.

I'm uncertain how to respond to those questions because I myself learned by writing. I never took a writing class. I have read books on improving the craft - mostly out of what I feel I need to improve on or learn. But it all started with just putting pen on paper as often as I could.

That's what I don't understand. If you really want to be a writer, then stop talking about it, and write. (And I try to say that in the nicest possible way.)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Maybe it's a lack of tone thanks to the internet; but I think there's a difference between "how do I become a super-amazing bestselling author" and "how do I write?".

The answer to the first is definitely writing: lots of it. But if they're asking the second, that's not going to help.

My response to the second would be something simple like write a day in the life of one of your pets, or something like that. Most of us do these kind of simple stories in school, which is why it seems blindingly obvious to us. But we're looking at it from the position of knowing.

Try to imagine - with your writer's imagination - what it would be like if you couldn't read. We're reading right now without thinking about it at all, and it's actually hard for me to conceive of a time when I couldn't read. But there was a time, and I had to learn.

It's the same thing as writing: it is so natural to you and me that it's hard to understand how you could not know how to do it. But we did learn. So can your friend.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
One of my friends once sent me a link to own of my own blog posts.

She'd seen it reposted somewhere else and hadn't put two and two together.

At least you know the advice is sound and the opinions are wise.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
I recently completed my second self-published novel and posted it on Amazon. My sister came over and I was showing her my sales figures. She was very happy for my success and asked me what I was doing now. I told her I was working on the next novel.

She sent me a confused look. "How can you already be writing another book?"

"... I'm a writer, it's sort of what I do."

Yet she doesn't think it at all strange that she can go work in an office five straight days.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a vampire story and got asked if I was allowed to use Stephenie Meyer's creations.
h9FAC1A63

Laina1312

Registered
Reaction score
'Kay, this is only SLIGHTLY related, but I never get to tell this story XD

So all the people who ask, "Name a character after me?", yeah?

Have any of you read As Dead As It Gets by Katie Alender? Character named Laina?

Hi.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
*writes Bookdragonette into next book*

*Bookdragonette meets grisly demise involving a water buffalo and a freight train*

No kidding. That's what I get OVER AND OVER, and usually with some sort of snide undertone implying that journalism is a more respectable profession.
Do you ever say "because I'd make half the money?" That'd probably shut em up.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
"Hurry up and write a bestseller so I can move into a mansion!" - everyone in my family.
Clearly their heart's in the right place and I admire their faith in me but it's still bloody annoying.
My mum's not so bad now that she's witnessed the writing process and all the things I go through when submitting short stories (haven't even finished any novels yet but I'm terrified for when the time comes to submit). She's still convinced I'm eventually going to make a fortune, though.

AustinT

Just keep on writing.
Registered
Reaction score
It may not be a specific thing said, but my biggest pet peeve is when people ask me to run an errand for them (or watch their kids for a few hours) because I often work from home and "must have the time." We may be at home, but those are our work hours. I never ask them to leave their jobs to do stuff for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.