The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
Ed Williams said:
Since we're getting closer and all, it makes more sense for us to start using some of the same terms.
I like this. There are some more terms we can all share. I'll use them in sentence form for clarity.

"Yesterday I had the flu. I was on the Clopper all day. :( Luckily I had a good supply of bathroom tissue, and not the cheap kind, either. I love my PArex, with contracty softness."

What do you think?

Julian Black

Will Read Slush for Food.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianblack.blogspot.com
ResearchGuy said:
What I see displayed in the windows of bookstores I go to is not posters. It is BOOKS.

--Ken
The very last thing I pay attention to when walking into a bookstore is any posters that might be in the window; I simply don't see them. I also tend to ignore posters hanging inside the store. That's not what I'm looking for, so I just don't look at them.

A poster of a book's cover art will not even catch my attention, much less make me want to order a copy of that book. There are already thousands of books ready and waiting on the shelves at my neighborhood bookstore.

If you want the cover art for your book to catch my eye and make me want to pick it up, then it has to be on a copy of the book itself. Nothing less will do.

Mr Underhill

Writer,Burglar,Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
I seem to recall a Frank Herbert book (I think) that had as a premise a planet carefully populated through the kidnapping of unsuspecting teleportees. The planet was harsh and the government forced on the people there was authoritarian and arbitrary. The citizens became very jaded over time and experts at thinking diabolically, forming all kinds of cabals to thwart each other. Very rarely, one could escape the planet; once out, they were very shrewd and tough customers. This whole story "resonates" with me when I think of PA
hmm1.gif
Hmmm. I'm pretty sure this is not a Dune book, Your Majesty, even one of the later ones, though I won't vouch for any of the current crop of abominations being issued under the name... And there are a number of non-Dune Herbert books I haven't read...

Teleports make me think of Bester, of course.

Absent the teleport part, it sounds something like Chalker's Four Lords of the Diamond quartet, where all the criminals are exiled to a system they can never leave because they are infected with some mysterious microscopic (subatomic?) symbiote that gives them magic-like powers while there but kills them if they leave. Ruled by the best criminal minds of humanity, etc. etc.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
changling said:
Hey someone editied my post up there, and it reads funny.

Sorry, but you're simply never going to live down stipid. The word is too much fun to use in connection with the three -- four -- five -- how many stooges are there now? :poke:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
...I had trouble copying that info into quotes, so please forgive me, just don't make me go into a room and listen to Perry Como records as punishment...

"Shemp = Scams"

Okay, no Perry Como records -- how do you feel about Pat Boone? :scared:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
....what "Infocenter" is actually doing here is softening up the troups in order to prepare them for Shemp's return to the boards....

"Shemp = Scams"
To me it sounds like that is what that whole thread is about....give me the barf bag, please.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lindylou45 said:
Okay, no Perry Como records -- how do you feel about Pat Boone? :scared:

Pat Boone when he sang Metallica?

Tilda

Registered
Reaction score
tarra74 said:
Hello Everyone,
I have decided that it is time for me to come out of lurking. I am a PA author and so far I am happy with my experience with PA.
Hi Tarra, and welcome! I am an avid, daily reader of this thread and follower the whole PA -issue (not a PA author myself, though), so I recognise you from the PA boards. I have been to your website, too. I like very much the name of your first novel:)
Stick around AW, it's a great, and as someone pointed out, a "meaty" place!
:Thumbs:

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
robeiae said:
Jim,

Maybe you, or anybody else for that matter, can help me remeber something, stirred by the "I'm with the Banned" slogan.

Followed soon by the "Banned on the Run" T-Shirt...

robeiae said:
I used to be heavy into Sci-Fi and I seem to recall a Frank Herbert book (I think) that had as a premise a planet carefully populated through the kidnapping of unsuspecting teleportees. The planet was harsh and the government forced on the people there was authoritarian and arbitrary. The citizens became very jaded over time and experts at thinking diabolically, forming all kinds of cabals to thwart each other. Very rarely, one could escape the planet; once out, they were very shrewd and tough customers. This whole story "resonates" with me when I think of PA, or maybe I'm just crazy. Do you (any of you) know the book to which I'm refering? Do I have the plot right?

Rob

I wrote a whole bunch based on a Harry Harrison short story (in the collection "One Step From Earth", all about Teleportation) that sounded a lot like you have above, and then realised you meant:

The Dosadi Experiment, Frank Herbert

One of the Jorj X. McKie stories (which to me were much better than the whole Dune series...), it deals with a planet much like as mentioned in the quote.

Link to Wiki - (SPOILERS) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dosadi_Experiment

marty

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for Bodyguards...

Kevin Yarbrough said:
Dianna, if you need a bodyguard I'm for hire. Do I have to know how to shoot straight? Or can I just look mean?

Well, you're big enough for the job, my friend. But, I can't help thinking of you as a big teddy bar of a guy. Oh, heck with it, you're hired. Now, if anything happens to me...it's Kevin's fault.

With PA's full hatred focused on me (which it will be in a day or two) I'll probably need more volunteers...

Oh, and Kevin...it's Diana with one "n", not two.

Diana

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
MartyKay said:
I wrote a whole bunch based on a Harry Harrison short story (in the collection "One Step From Earth", all about Teleportation) that sounded a lot like you have above, and then realised you meant:

The Dosadi Experiment, Frank Herbert

One of the Jorj X. McKie stories (which to me were much better than the whole Dune series...), it deals with a planet much like as mentioned in the quote.

Yes, yes, yes...thank you Marty!

The PA authors are very much like the people trapped on the planet: unable to escape their world and subjected to harsh controls and arbitrary/random actions by the government. Those that get out of line are tossed out of the cities into the harsh climate, unable to return but still unable to get off the planet, i.e. they're still under contract, but have been banned from the meassage boards and can't do anything but wait it out. A great book...a tragic reality.

Rob

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Ed Williams said:
....I'm very sorry to have disallusioned you. In fact, instead of just sucking up to you like Dave just did, I've gone even further and composed a song for you that mentions Perry Como in a very positive way. You can read it on the "Lords Of The Prance" thread, and it's entitled, "Kick Shemp's Booty." (sung to the tune of "Shake Your Booty"). Let Dave top that! The link for it is right here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=138498#post138498

Thanks Ed. :heart: :kiss: :Hug2: Nobody has ever composed a song for me before.

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Sucking up? No way! Everyone knows I speak my own mind. Not only that, but I own some Perry Como records. Yes, records and a turntable to play those on! Seattle is still the one song I liked best that Perry did. Of course, it drives everyone crazy when I follow it up with something from Metallica. ;)

I'm glad you like Perry too, Dave. And I didn't think you were sucking. Perry followed by Metallica, what a thought

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ann said:
To me it sounds like that is what that whole thread is about....give me the barf bag, please.
The barf bag, Ann? Please -- that would be unsanitary. We're buying them by the gross so everybody can have their own. :banana:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:

Moe-Randa was giving a lesson on the circulation of the blood to all her employees. Trying to make the matter clearer, she said, "Now, Larry, if I stood on my head, the blood, as you know, would run into it, and I would turn red in the face."
"Yes," Larry said.
"Then why is it that while I am standing upright in the ordinary position, the blood doesn't run into my feet?"
Curlem shouted with excitement, "Cause yer feet ain't empty.?"

The PA bong turned up, didn't it, Mem? LMAO! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.