The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had with them, Rita...

ByGrace said:
I am not into being 'a basher' as some people call it. But I will tell the truth and tell my story.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks do just that (tell the truth and their story) and they're still lumped into the "basher" collection...

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
:roll::banana: :hooray:

Ed, Ed, and Ken...You guys totally made my day! Your show was terrific and I know you did a great service to authors everywhere.

I have to say that "hearing" this in real time made it all alot more vivid and frankly, stirred bad memories of this whole fiasco!
We all do a pretty good job of glossing over stuff with the humor and emoticons, but this experience has damaged and continues to damage so many!

So...to Ed, Ed, Ken and whoever else I may have missed...:Cheers: CHEERS!
And thanks for keeping the fires lit!

PS...Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
And another soul is beginning to see the light...
charging $19.95 for my new book. Since it's
only 130 pages, I'm devastated by this pricing.
I searched for other 130 page PA books on
Amazon & the ones I found were all $16.95. My
first book is 227 pages & it's the same price...
$19.95. I can't make any sense of this.
Support sent me an e-mail w/their price
rationale, but that doesn't make any sense to
me, either. I mean really... 20 bucks for a 130
page book?! I don't suspect any bookstore will
carry it at that price, not to mention inevitable
non-existent on-line sales.

This poor guy... but he seems to know the score. I'll set out another deck chair.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
astonwest said:
I wonder if it's the same explanation they gave me (while still in the production process) when I asked how the price would be set...
"...what the customer is willing to pay..."
:scared:

My friend runs a POD shop in England and he sets the price per the page count. A book of poetry he published for a local professor that was 60 pages long as $7, while this huge reprint of an obcure Arabic dictionary, 700 pages, was $39.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
AC Crispin said:
Just wanted y'all to know that both Victoria and I will be at Balticon this year, over Memorial Day Weekend. Balticon is putting on an Atlanta Nights panel and has invited all the elements of Travis Tea to sit in on it.

Ann,

Looking forward to meeting you again. See you there!

Rich

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Wow....

What a day this has been....

The brave Aryn takes a stand - then makes her entrance at AW.

Classy, talented Rita comes "out of the closet." Hi, my friend!

Now, the T.O.Y.S. guy saunters in! Hi, Dave! :welcome:

We recently added the beautiful BeeBomb......and the mysterious New York Lady who has turned out to be a very classy addition. (Is there anyone I forgot???)

So glad to see you all here. You are very, very welcome. We are not author "bashers." We are PA "bashers." In fact, some of the people here will keep "bashing" until all the little PA cockroaches run for cover and never come out into the light of day again.

Some of us are ex-PA victims, and some of us are just authors who don't want to see other authors abused by scammers and liars.

Hope you feel at home here. Hope we can help you a little. <S>

Nancy (ex-Pa patsy)

Reaction score
Aconite said:
PNYL (if I may call you that), you'll find several discussions on that in the backthread. Check the Index (Indexing the Big PublishAmerica Thread), and try the Search function with variations on "PA" and "bankrupt." Pay special attention to the posts by Jaws, who's a lawyer with lots of publishing-world experience.

Thank you. Please, feel free to call me PNYL until I reveal my true identity, if the occasion should arise.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Passionate N.Y. Lady said:
Thank you. Please, feel free to call me PNYL until I reveal my true identity, if the occasion should arise.

Passionate one, What my dear would there be to hide from? I just escaped from the clutches of that evil demon P.A.

Losing ones right to post on their board?

Hey, look at it this way. They would more than likely publish us again if we wanted, or you at least.
I'm happy to know that if such a stupid idea entered into my thoughts,(re: publishing with P.A. again), I am more than likely safe from myself by coming out. They surely have me on there Sh*t list. The safe from scam list to me.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Memphis Ed said:
Guys-The Ed Williams interview segment of my show is now posted on my website. Go to www.edhorrell.com and link on the "author" link and enjoy.

Oh cool! I missed the first casting of the interview, due to ISP problems. Anyways, thanks Ed & Ed! lol...

:Sun: And welcome back ED3!!!!!!!!!!!! :kiss: :Hail: :Cheers::heart: :Sun:

PS- PA sucks!

Last edited:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, new arrivals. Sit down and have a nice cup of tea and a scone. You deserve it.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Ann said:
Kris,

That's what Deerings did. They left a warehouse full of un-published manuscripts. In PA's case it would be both electronic and hard copy manuscripts. In the Deering case it took about 2 years for the authors to get their rights released back to them.
Right, and I understand the rights to PA authors' manuscripts could be tied up for for quite a while, which is really too bad.

But, what I was trying to warn about was a potential last-ditch buy-copies-of-your-book special for PA authors, which is what I thought PNYL meant. You know, like before the NY Times "partnership": special discount, royalties paid, order now--that type of thing. If PA runs an author special right before they fold, my suspicion is they will simply take the order money and declare bankruptcy or split, with no effort to ever fulfill the orders. It would be their style.

Not sure if I managed to get the specific concern clear that time, either. Oh well, there's a reason I haven't gone pro yet! :)

Kris

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
DreamWeaver said:
But, what I was trying to warn about was a potential last-ditch buy-copies-of-your-book special for PA authors, which is what I thought PNYL meant. You know, like before the NY Times "partnership": special discount, royalties paid, order now--that type of thing. If PA runs an author special right before they fold, my suspicion is they will simply take the order money and declare bankruptcy or split, with no effort to ever fulfill the orders. It would be their style.
For what it's worth, I think that's exactly what they'd do. I'd be very wary of any kind of "special offer" -- it will be anything but special.

B.L. Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blrobinson.yolasite.com
First post here

I thought it time to say "Hello" and let everyone know that I did, indeed, escape from the PA message board with at least some shred of dignity left. Hi Aryn! Hey Dave! And the passionate new yorker... lol!
I was surprised that my posts stayed up as long as they did, I only wish that I had been able to read some of the responses to them, but sleep and then my real job demanded my participation today. I really had no intention of leading an all out "abandon ship", I think that the timing just coincided with the others getting tired of the "crap" over there as well.

I am moving on and have high hopes that no one else will buy my book, at least this one that PA has the hold on for the next five years. I am working on the final drafts of my first book in the series, and will attempt the 'traditional' methods just to see what happens with it. While I did get good reviews of The Battle Between, I just never felt right about ANYONE paying 20 bucks for it. The unavailability of it was the final straw for me, along with the banning that I got a short time ago for daring to suggest that PA's editing was "lacking". I sent Ann a copy of the email that I got from PA in response to my request to regain my access to the message board, I actually found it quite a musing and decided to not make things worse and edit it and send it back!

I will pop in from time to time and check the boards here, but I am moving on to the next book in the series while this one is getting put through the wringers prior to submission. But here, at least, I will use my actual name, since I have decided to no longer be "EZ"... :box:

Bruce

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
B.L. Robinson said:
But here, at least, I will use my actual name, since I have decided to no longer be "EZ"... :box:

Bruce

Hi Bruce, you are in great company! Of course you already know that! I'm incognito for awhile, but should be making my debut soon. Welcome! That was a great job you did posting the Georgia song. We all enjoyed it.

Visit often -- lot of your peers here write in your genre.

Ann

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
DreamWeaver said:
Not sure if I managed to get the specific concern clear that time, either. Oh well, there's a reason I haven't gone pro yet! :)

Kris
Actually you were clear, Kris. I added to it and was not clear. I think that the average of about 2 years wait would be better than the aprox. 7 yrs. or lifetime contract. :)

ArynStephens

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there Bruce! Good to see you, you are going to love it here, glad you followed my directions over. Now if I can just get a KC, CH, and a few others over here!
Hey there PNYL! Good to see you over here also. I was incognito for about 5 posts before revealing. Don't be shy now!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Hi, Bruce. Welcome to the Water Cooler.

Y'know, we have a long tradition of posting foolish or insulting PA letters here (that means pretty much all of them), for the amusement and education of the world, and some of us love to do line-by-line commentary on 'em.

So you're invited....

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Aryn and Rita!

WrongturninAlbuquerque said:
Hey there Bruce! Good to see you, you are going to love it here, glad you followed my directions over. Now if I can just get a KC, CH, and a few others over here!
Hey there PNYL! Good to see you over here also. I was incognito for about 5 posts before revealing. Don't be shy now!

Hey Aryn, is that you? lol..:Jump:

Hey I wanted to give a shout-out to Rita too! I just noticed someone said in this thread, that she was here. Awesome!

If there are others that I've missed, :welcome: .:TheWave: :Cheers:

Last edited:

B.L. Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blrobinson.yolasite.com
I didn't have much communication with PA after my book was released, (imagine that!) so this one is the best that I can do. (Unless you want to see a REALLY atrocious picture that they wanted me to use as cover art!)

I wrote this message to PA after I was banned... the first time!

My access to the private message board has been denied after I commented on the unprofessional reply posted by the infocenter regarding the current HB Marcus debacle. Whoever was responsible for
the infocenter posting was rude and VERY unprofessional, and I believe
that my access was denied for personal reasons of this same person. I
would like my access returned immediately. Thank you.

Their reply.

Dear Mr. Robinson:

Your access has been interrupted because of the character of your post.
You made derogatory remarks about our editing staff, way out of context,
and incorrectly so. Stuff like that gets you in trouble. As for the
Infocenter reacting to the wildfire that was raging on both the
public and the private boards regarding one of our authors, this was
arguably the only professional contribution to the entire debate. Your
access to the board will be restored shortly.

Thank you,
Author Support Team

"Stuff like that gets you in trouble." I felt like I was having the riot act read to me by a third grade child. LOL! And all I said was that the person who made the posting (with multiple typos) must be one of the editors who had worked on some of the PA books that I had read....:Ssh:
Hi Renee! Zaz... what can I say? I did my best to carry on your tradition of loathing over there, and see where I ended up? LOL!

Bruce

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
B.L. Robinson said:
I thought it time to say "Hello" and let everyone know that I did, indeed, escape from the PA message board with at least some shred of dignity left. Hi Aryn! Hey Dave! And the passionate new yorker... lol!
I was surprised that my posts stayed up as long as they did, I only wish that I had been able to read some of the responses to them,
Bruce,
Welcome to the Other Side. Glad to see you broke free from their clutches and are continuing on your writing career. From here you can only go up.

Please stick around these boards. There's a ton of other forums here, please check them out.

underthecity

Status
Not open for further replies.