Romances with shy\bookish heroines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are many romances with shy heroines? Don't get me wrong I don't mean passive/doormatish in their shyness, just..more introverted and bookish? Every romance I pick up lately seems to be about a spunky in your face sort of MC and while that is nice and empowering, as an introverted girl myself I'd love to find more heroines that are shy/bookish (but not necessarily pushovers). Bonus points if the guy of the pairing is the submissive/beta one of their relationship (my favorite romance type but one I hardly see without the alpha gal being super extroverted in personality).
I know this is a long shot but I thought I would ask anyway :).

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm wondering if there are many romances with shy heroines? Don't get me wrong I don't mean passive/doormatish in their shyness, just..more introverted and bookish? Every romance I pick up lately seems to be about a spunky in your face sort of MC and while that is nice and empowering, as an introverted girl myself I'd love to find more heroines that are shy/bookish.

I do love Melanie in Gone with the Wind (not a romance, though). In Mary Balogh's A Precious Jewel, the heroine is soft-spoken, gentle and likes books. She's also a working prostitute. The hero is definitely a beta, too.

And the heroine of my novel The Deepest Ocean is very introverted. She stands up for herself when she needs to, but otherwise she's not at all noticeable or in-your-face. The hero doesn't even realize he's falling for her at first.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've read quite a number of historical romances with quieter heroines, but of course, I'm HORRIBLE about remembering exactly which ones (a function of reading too many :D). Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series has one (The third (?), Kate's story, i think), and I just finished Douglas, Lord of Heartache by Grace Burrowes. The heroine is strong in her choices, but chooses to live quietly. I would call her introverted but not necessarily shy. The hero isn't an obvious alpha, but I'm not sure if he qualifies as a beta. (I'm not 100% clear on the distinctions as I find them blurred more often than not.)

I like an introverted heroine, the discovery of still but deep waters is satisfying, as a reader.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts, but my (as yet unpublished) second novel features an MC who is not exactly shy, but quiet and modest, and she devours books. She isn't passive, though. She stands up and rescues herself, where possible. If she can't, then when rescue comes, she's fighting alongside the hero. (He's definitely an alpha male, so I can't help in that regard.)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
My soon-to-be-published Women's Fiction (not Romance, but a love story) has just such an MC (three female MCs): The Small Fortune of Dorothea Q, out in October! The question of introversion and the problems it raises for the individual is one of the driving themes of the novel.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
The Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris comes to mind.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
If you're willing to go back in time, Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen novel, and its heroine is definitely on the quiet, bookish side.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
There are lots of regencies with shy heroines... Romancing Mr. Bridgerton and Dancing at Midnight by Julia Quinn comes to mind. There's also Open Season by Linda Howard if you want a contemporary romance/romantic suspense.

Blatant Plug: My heroine in Operation Owl is super-bookish (but not terribly shy)...and the hero is more of the nice guy type and less alpha-male :). It's a contemporary rom-com.

FCChen

All Ogre Now
Registered
Reaction score
The novel Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas came to mind when thinking about a shy heroine.

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much I will look for all of these :D.
I should have put that while they aren't beta books, normally I really like retellings of Beauty and the Beast (even more if it has a Disney-ish bookish Belle role), and on a almost unrelated to the first topic front, any vampire romances where the vamp guy is the beta of their couple.

The funny thing is I picked out a few of your suggestions years ago without even knowing what they were about. My family collectively had so many of those lady/rakish duke romances that, growing up, I almost drowned in waistcoat and undergarment descriptions XD.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Someone else has already mentioned Tessa Dare's "A Lady by Midnight" as a shy heroine, but "A Week to be Wicked" has a very bookish heroine that belongs to a scientific society using her initials so that other members assume she's a man.

However, her most recent "Romancing the Duke", you'll come really close to your "Beauty and the Beast" retelling. Comes complete with a bookish heroine and scarred hero lurking in the shadows of the castle she just inherited.

Last edited:

emmybun

Registered
Reaction score
My favourite romances have timid characters!

The best authors portray timid characters with a lot of depth. Being shy doesn't mean that you aren't a person with convictions and strength, and that you can get things done without being a pushover, or reverting your whole personality.

My personal favourite is... Sarah Maclean's "Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake".

A Week To Be Wicked was one of my fave's too. And oh yes, Open Season. Some people said it didn't have as much action as her other books (true) but Daisy's character transformation was hilarious. These timid characters like to go with rogues...

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend His Brown-Eyed Girl by Liz Talley. I'm currently reading it and while the heroine isn't so much shy, she is smart and not a pushover. Also the hero is great and often funny with his lack of knowledge about certain things :)

Lorna Peel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lornapeel.com
Another Blatant Plug: My heroine in Only You is quiet and rather reserved but isn't a pushover, while the hero is definitely not an alpha-male.

It's a contemporary romance and will be published on 17 October. :)

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Mills and Boone have been around for ages.
Shy type of girl turning rich when she meets her future prince.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The term for that type of book is "Wallflower" romance. The heroines are a bit shy, not always the prettiest, so them winning the hero is that much sweeter. There was a recent RT magazine article about wallflower books. It gave a whole list of authors to try. Let me see if I can track it down and I'll link it for you. :)

ETA: I didn't find the article yet, but I found a RT forum thread on it for your reading list pleasure. Mind you, most of these are historical, but it's a good start.

Last edited:

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Molly O'Keefe's Between the Sheets (contemporary) has a somewhat introverted art teacher heroine. And the hero, while not quite a beta, isn't a typical alpha either.

Other contemporaries with bookish heroines that come to mind include Kristen Ashley's Breathe, Cara McKenna's Hard Time, and Mary Ann Rivers' novella, The Story Guy (all featuring librarians).

Now I'm going to have to look up some of the other titles in this thread.

Littlebit66

Registered
Reaction score
I normally don't read romance novels but I love pairings of young adult or adult characters where you have a girl or woman who's a little shy and quiet but of deep strength and a guy who definitely not an alpha male type. I'm hoping I can incorporate this kind of relationship in my WIP. Now you got me curious about what's a beta male.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Both my menage novels (Wicked Safari comes out in March) feature this type of heroine.:)

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Bookish heroines aren't necessarily shy. Many of Amanda Quick's heroines are bookish and scholarly, but I would never call them shy.
A new romance, just published, with a bookish heroine, not precisely shy but not enthusiastic about social occasions, is My Fair Lily by Meara Platt.

Status
Not open for further replies.