Status
Not open for further replies.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
A few weeks ago, I sent a manuscript to my publisher which I classified as FMM. I felt the woman was the dominant partner in the menage. After they accepted it, I discovered they'd changed it to MMF. This publisher doesn't have a FMM category, although other publishers do. MMF sells very well for them, so I'm not going to quibble.

My question is, is it okay for a woman in a romance to take charge in the relationship, or do readers prefer the traditional "man runs the show"? If any of you write FMM, how do sales stack up compared to MFM or MMF? (No numbers, just an overview.) This publisher included a line in a blurb for someone else's book along the lines of, "Contains a female Domme," like it was a warning or something. Would readers rather see Hercules or Xena in charge? Or as equal partners?

I do remember Harlequin's Bombshell line. How long did that last?

I should check out DC Comics' Superman/Wonder Woman book. I suspect Diana calls the shots in that relationship. Clark's always been a bit of a pushover when it comes to women.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
That kind of blurb isn't just a warning for those who won't like it, but also an alert for those who do.

I'd say it's a niche market coming into it's own. I'll go out on a limb and say more women readers prefer sub females, but there is a niche group that will be interested. I would hope they wouldn't have accepted the book if they didn't think it would have a readership.

You might want to have a go at seeing if you can do some promo that catches male readers, because there is a strong niche there as well, that self publishers have been tapping into.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have been expecting dominant F to emerge as a niche for years now. There is a readership that likes it and is quite dedicated; it seems to be mostly men from what I can see.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Thanks for the info! I didn't know that about a male audience. If the publishers have determined they have mostly female customers, I can understand why they'd change the category. I was writing for a mostly female audience anyway, so it's probably for the best.

Aleiarity

mostly harmless
Registered
Reaction score
I...

didn't know that women tended to relate so strongly to submissive women in stories. I prefer balanced dynamics, or if I have to choose... ones where the woman tends to call the shots.

In life, guys so rarely know what the hell they want (much less what anyone else wants). Things go more smoothly if someone takes a guy's hand to lead him where he needs to go.

EvolvingK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccacroteau.com
I have been expecting dominant F to emerge as a niche for years now. There is a readership that likes it and is quite dedicated; it seems to be mostly men from what I can see.

Respectfully disagreeing. Looking through the new Hungry For More antho, as many of the stories involve Dommes as they do sub females. Of my erotica reading female friends, there is a strong preference for Dommes and strong women, simply because it's not done anywhere near as often.

but of course, that's personal experience, which is nothing like market numbers.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I prefer balanced dynamics
I also prefer balanced dynamics, and generally like to avoid female characters who are either dommes or subs. My personal favorite female characters are the clever persuasive *cough*benevolentlymanipulative*cough* ones who have more of a sneak-up-from-the-side approach to problem solving then a tackle-it-head-on approach. But I know there's a market for both, and in particular male readers seems to like dommes.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, from what I can speculate, it seems to be a niche.

Which stinks, because I don't like submissive heroines much (in M/F). It's why I read more LGBT or M/M in the romance department than M/F nowadays. (You know how some people imagine themselves as the heroine? I'm one of those who would love to be the dominant one--which is usually written by many authors as the hero. I love the confidence, the no-nonsense nature of most heroes, who are usually in control in the bedroom. I wonder if the reason I would like some different relationship and/or sexual dynamics is because I'm LGBTAQ?)

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Well niches can be very profitable.

True, that. :D Of course, it could also depend of you can fit into what niche audience wants or expects in that niche.

However, IF (if, if, if) I ever wanted to publish something, I kind of would like to expand beyond a niche. If I ever got something published, I want to be able to show my family and friends. I don't want to end up with a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche....

akaria

Registered
Reaction score

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I've written quite a few Dommes and switches that have been well received with an audience hungry for more feminine Domme's with Alpha male submissives. If it's good, people will read it.

kkwalker

Registered
Reaction score
I've read reader reviews about female-dominant, male submissive work, and one thing I gleaned out is that the female readers had a hard time finding respect for a submissive male unless he was some kind of alpha-dominant in his daily life.

Anyone seen the same?

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I...

didn't know that women tended to relate so strongly to submissive women in stories. I prefer balanced dynamics, or if I have to choose... ones where the woman tends to call the shots.

In life, guys so rarely know what the hell they want (much less what anyone else wants). Things go more smoothly if someone takes a guy's hand to lead him where he needs to go.

Yes, exactly this.

I prefer balance and equality (probably why I prefer reading/writing mm and ff) but in mf, I'd definitely prefer a dominant woman over a submissive one. I hate submissive female characters. But then, I adore beta males so...

vraci967

Registered
Reaction score
I've read reader reviews about female-dominant, male submissive work, and one thing I gleaned out is that the female readers had a hard time finding respect for a submissive male unless he was some kind of alpha-dominant in his daily life.

Anyone seen the same?

I can see that happening. I'm not a fan of types but of balance dynamics. Most of the romance novels I've read features powerful men being challenged by equally powerful women.

Status
Not open for further replies.