Status
Not open for further replies.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
So. Should I go to RT in May? Is it worth it? Will I enjoy it?

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Jo,

I've never been, so I really can't offer any recommendation. From the public postings, it looks a little over the top for me, but then I'm an introvert by nature, so.... <shrug>

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I went for two years, skipped last year, and am thinking about going this year BUT...I'm not sure if it's worth the money. Yes, a lot of my writer friends will be there, but it's more of an industry networking than it is a meet the reader gig. If your goal is to sign an agent/pub/etc you may find it worth your while. If your a newbie writer the panels will be helpful, but if you've been around the block a few time the majority of panels are either genre themed or entry level author oriented, or at least they have been in the past.

So far, Author's After Dark has been the best for meeting readers and boosting sales, but RT has a larger industry market. Since I don't plan on submitting to a big 5 publisher anytime soon...it makes me wonder if it's worth the vacation time and money to go. ESPECIALLY after the signing bullshit last year with horrible lines(lines are always bad though) and seperate rooms for the big 5 authors and indie. Plus, it always seems like the same fifteen people over and over on panels, but that's just me. So should you go? I have no idea, I'll probably go because I really do have a lot of author friends and readers in the Dallas area, but then again I may not and pick up another conference instead.

I hope that wasn't entirely unhelpful. ;)

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive my silly question, but what exactly is RT?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I went for the first time last year and had a grand time. But part of that was meeting up with friends and readers. I also didn't do a lot of the evening things, preferring to stay in the bar and play Cards Against Humanity because I am a bad bad person. ;)

Apparently, in 2015 there will only be one room/day for the booksigning this year. Everyone will be in the same room, regardless of how they are published.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
If I went to RT, it would be to meet readers. Does anyone have a sense of whether folks pick up new readers at RT?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really haven't gotten a feel about meeting or picking up new readers at RT. My sales have been so weak from the signings (a total of 5 that I can think of for having gone every year since 2011), I'm not sure I'll be signing next year. It depends a lot on my currents plans and how things go; I'd still probably attend since I've met quite a few people that I don't see outside of RT, plus I actually go to a lot of the panels and have found them helpful.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I had the same experience as BenPanced. I picked up few, if any, new readers at RT despite going twice and actively promoting. However, I had fun meeting people and enjoyed the panels. As far as a promotion tool, I think there are better ways to spend your time and money, but RT can be a fun vacation if you go in with no expectations.

I don't plan to go to RT again in the near future because the ROI isn't there for me. YMMV.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I went the year it was held in Chicago. I sold nothing. The e-book card system didn't actually work. I met lots of other writers, my small press got its name out there -- and the total expense, minus hotel and travel because I live locally, ate up my entire profit for that year and then some.

It was also crazy-disorganized. We DBP writers went to lots of events as a group, and on those occasions when we skipped dinner, we'd stand in line for 10 minutes at a "party" event and find they'd already run out of food. The readers' event went okay, and I met a lot of great people. I couldn't say whether it's ever had a positive impact on sales.

And then of course there was the dumb-bunny Chicago news media focusing only on the hunks without shirts. You'd figure they'd gotten past that by now, but no. It just made the whole conference look ridiculous.

I doubt if I'd ever go again unless it's local once more.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I want to thank you so much for the information. This is useful. Thanks.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I really don't think I picked up any new readers at RT. The two years I went I sold out....but it was all to existing readers. I can say for sure though that I picked up new readers at RomCon and Author's After Dark because...well they're pretty open about it.-lol- They'll tell me they never reader me before but saw me on XXX panel (IMO Panels are VERY important for reaching new readers-chances of getting on an RT panel very, very slim) and wanted to buy my book. Or they'll email me and let me know they met me xxx and bought my book and loved it ra ra ra.

For reaching readers, the best I can say is 'maybe?' at RT. I'm sure they're there, but finding a reader for your genre by random interaction is a little more difficult than being on a panel about that genre and impressing potential readers.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I picked up new readers at RomCon and Author's After Dark ... (IMO Panels are VERY important for reaching new readers

Panels, huh?

You're saying stuff that's very probably true ...
that I don't want to hear.

*sigh*

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Yep, panels. If you want readers to connect with you on a personal level, especially readers 'active' in the romance scene, you have to have some one on one time with them. Since it's impossible to hunt down every one of your potential readers at a conference, and slightly stalker-ish, your best bets are panels where you can make that personal connection with a bunch of readers who like whatever genre/topic/issue the panels are about.

Don't worry, panels aren't scary at all, but rather fun. You're up there with other authors, usually answering questions as opposed to just random babbling, and the readers are really nice. Plus, you get to learn stuff as well from the fellow authors on your panel. :)

Basically you're a book nerd talking to other book nerds about books. Doesn't get any better than that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.