Casey Hudson leaving Bioware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really wondering what the real story is here. He claims he's just ready for something new, but he doesn't have anything lined up yet (he's not leaving for a new job) and up until now he's been heavily involved in developing a new IP for Bioware, which was his new pet project after Mass Effect.

His leaving seems suspiciously abrupt to me. I wonder (suspect, actually) if there were some behind-the-scenes politics going on that forced him out. Most people at that level don't leave a company they helped build without having an exit strategy already in place unless their leaving comes as a surprise to them, like when they're fired or forced out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136712-Mass-Effects-Casey-Hudson-Will-Leave-BioWare

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
IF he's the guy responsible for some of the controversial Mass Effect 3 stuff, then that's...suspicious and convenient. Hmmm...

I'm kind of conflicted. He's done some good stuff, but...he may (according to rumours) also the guy who's somewhat involved in some of the controversial parts of Mass Effect 3 if not the PR for it, which has killed my love for the franchise, lol. :tongue So... I guess I'm sort of glad?

That's cruel, I know. He'll find work, I'm sure. He did great things. But, Mass Effect 3 just ruined the entire franchise for me. I can't even replay the older games or re-read the comics because of that game.

Edit: I hope he finds a new job or join/create a new company. I'm sure he will do well in the future (as long as he respects the fans, anyway).

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
He's the entire reason there is a Mass Effect. The entire series was his idea. And, overall, the series is brilliant, so I'm not gonna hate on his entire career (which also includes ST: KOTOR and working on Neverwinter Nights) because of 10 shitty minutes of one game (don't forget Mac Walters hand in that).

I just think there's more to his leaving than is being reported.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Something about this feels like when the Doctors left the company, or when Zeschuck left the Austin office when the MMO was making the free to play transition. Nah, I'm not going the speculate whether it's the growing fan feedback for the negative, or evil mustache twirling EA or what - I just want the top guys to stop leaving.

*clutches David Gaider and glues him to Bioware*

Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Conspiracy theories often say far more about the person making them than the events themselves.

None of us are in BioWare. This may have been a long time coming and many people may have known Hudson's plans. He probably wanted to stick on to see how things went before he went after new pursuits. (Or maybe he just saw how much fun Doctor Zee was having.)

But then again, it certainly is hard to believe. A job where you can create one of the defining series of the new millennium that's loved by millions, then get personally harassed by a few thousand people with way too much time on their hands and the mindset that the world revolves around them? Who wouldn't want a job like that forever?

IF he's the guy responsible for some of the controversial Mass Effect 3 stuff, then that's...suspicious and convenient. Hmmm...

He's one of the two who gets scapegoated by the people who desperately want to convince themselves that the ending wasn't what everyone in the studio wanted to write.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard any particularly interesting noise in Edmonton, so *shrug*

/works in Edmonton's high-tech industry.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I hope he gets a new job and makes new games. Mass Effect is my generation's Star Wars, and everyone who worked on it gets massive props from me.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
He's one of the two who gets scapegoated by the people who desperately want to convince themselves that the ending wasn't what everyone in the studio wanted to write.

Yeah, I just heard rumours. That's why I said "if". I just think it's a bit of a coincidence, since ME 3 had split up the fanbase so much (more than ME 2 did, anyway).

Anyway, if he's been scapegoated, then that's sad. :( I just remembered being annoyed with the PR, but that could be EA.

(And, to add, for me, it's not just the last 10 minutes. I didn't like Mass Effect 3 much from the beginning, and that was before I knew about the endings or people's issues with them.)

I'm sure he will continue to do great things in the future.

Hey, maybe he just wanted to escape EA? EA does have a habit of buying out companies and then sucking the souls of those companies' franchise games, lol. (Just kidding...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.