Turning a short into a book

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeccaAllyson

Registered
Reaction score
I've got several shorts for sale on Amazon, and I've decided to double down on one that has gotten a couple good reviews. More important, I really like the story and the characters. It's also a great fit for erotic romance (it does have a HEA), which I've heard can sell really well.

I wrote and released the first part of it as a short. Now that I'm thinking of it as a novel, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the short. It needs to be a part of the book for sure--it sets up the main characters and how they meet.

I could replace the short with the whole book, and it's just a happy bonus for the people who bought it already. That would also let me leverage the couple good reviews I have.

I could also make the short free... but would that run afoul of any Amazon rules because basically it would be taking a portion of a book and spinning it off as a separate work? I'm betting someone has tried that and gotten stomped on by Amazon, even if the portion is free?

Any advice about how to proceed is welcome--thank you!

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Might kind of depend how the short fits with the book, no?

I turned one of my shorts into a full-length book and took the short down, as much as I could (it was published in an anthology, so... no luck there!). This was because the short was the climax of the novel, so if someone had already read the short, the novel would lose a lot of punch.

How do your short and your novel relate to each other?

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Since you said this is a nice setup and meet, I'd second the suggestion of writing the rest of the story as a new book. Keep the short intact and use it as a prequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.