Romance vs. Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeyarcher

Registered
Reaction score
You guys have been great, so I have another silly question.
I took on the challenge of writing a short romance story a while back, and I was pretty happy with the results and am going to polish it up a bit. But--
From what I have read, I am thinking I might not have written a romance but instead a love story with a happy ending.
So, the question is how would I know for sure? Is there a difference between a romance and a happy ending love-story? Or are they one and the same and I am just misunderstanding the ideas of what is Romance?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe clarifying might help - why do you think it's not Romance now?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Unless there's something I'm missing, a love story with a happy ending is a romance.

The definition of genre romance usually involves two criteria: the focus of the novel must be on the relationship (so that the book w/o the relationship would make no sense) and there must be a HEA or HFN.

Monkeyarcher

Registered
Reaction score
well, what I wrote involves two characters who already know each other (I'll call them Al and Bob) as seen through Al's eyes. It alternates between current developments between the two and tracing the history of how they know each other. As it develops, it becomes clear that Bob is going through some sort of change, but without enough information Al can only watch it happen. Finally Bob explains to Al what the problem is, which adds a new light on everything that was shared before, and Al realizes that he loves Bob, and tells him that he will stand by him through the problem. It ends with Al and Bob taking the first steps to a relationship and Bob realizing that he needs to make changes to solve his problem.
Through this description, it sounds like a romance, and it felt like one to me when I wrote it, but the more I analyze it, the more it seems to be about observing and understanding Bob's problem and eventually trying to solve it, which incidentally happens because of Al's love. While Al does have a final revelation, the main conflict, revelation, and resolution is pretty much all Bob's, with Al just coming along for the ride (so to speak). Is that still a romance?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
The test people suggest is to take the romantic elements out and see if you'd still have a story. If your story is all Bob, with Al just along for the ride, it sounds like you'd still have a story without a romance between Bob and Al. In which case... not a genre romance.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
There are certainly some romances where it is more about one character changing than the other. Lead Me On came to mind, though I haven't read it yet. Apparently a lot of it is about the heroine learning to love herself. BUT to be considered a romance, the romance aspect has to be an essential part of the story. Captcha is right. If the story still holds together without their romance, then the romance is not the main focus of the book, and I wouldn't categorize it as such. (Though you could say it has "romantic elements.")

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but this is a short story, right? I don't think genre is so important for those.You can play up the romance angle if you submit it to places that are actively seeking romance, and call it mainstream for other venues.

Monkeyarcher

Registered
Reaction score
That is interesting to hear. It is about 5000 words (give or take some final editing), and honestly, I had taken to the idea of getting it ready to submit to a sci-fi publication, as I had come to shift my thoughts on it away from being a romance.
But I had set out to write a romance, and while the love element is essential at the end, it still didn't feel like the story. So it just started me wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.