The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tas, I grew up with a girl named "Charles-Ann" pronounced "sharlesann." Lots of girls in the boonies are named after their dads--would something like that appeal?

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
D's in a similar better place like your hubby, Jo. While he still doesn't make what he did at Village, he's been at this place 4 years, which is a huge achievement in tech support. It's so uncommon for someone to stay 4 years that the boss gives them a Rolex or the equivalent cash. The company does a Xmas party with prizes, plus bonuses when they are profitable, so between what he won last night, the watch cash, and his coming bonuses, this Christmas is very nice. He's also the next to move into product management when there's a space.

Hasn't been easy to last at this job and the previous one was hell, but it's finally looking like how things have gone will turn out better in the long run.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Tas, I grew up with a girl named "Charles-Ann" pronounced "sharlesann." Lots of girls in the boonies are named after their dads--would something like that appeal?

I'm actually named after my father in a roundabout way. Catherine is the female form of Charles, and Carrie is a diminutive of Catherine. And then you spell Kari weird, and...

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
My husband just begged off of a business trip to Japan (he hates travel and doesn't even have a passport), which makes me sad because I'd have tagged along and Japan is one of my top "Want to visit!" places. :)

I met my wife in Tokyo. We were just out of college and living in the equivalent of Hoboken (before Hoboken got trendy). She taught English; I worked at a newspaper. Lived there for a year. Not the easiest place to live as a foreigner, but a very interesting place to visit. Need to take my kids there someday to show them where their parents met and remind them how random life can be sometimes. Definitely didn't plan to go halfway around the world to meet a nice Jewish girl from New York.

Wow, you really triggered my nostalgia reflex there. We now return to your regularly scheduled purgatory.

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
Where did the day just go? Yikes! I've missed so much.

Tas -- I like Jo's suggestion of Kari S. Charles best so far! It has a really nice ring to it.

On the writing slump conversation: You guys have no idea how good it is to hear that I'm not alone, hah! I'm still on self-imposed break during the holidays but I always feel miserable. My dad was a little bit of a workaholic growing up and I think it rubbed off. No matter how much writing (or whatever else) I'm doing, I feel like it's not enough. Yuck!

Also, mm, people are making cookies again? I think I'm going to end up making sugar cookies tonight. Hopefully these don't all meld together like the chocolate chip ones did! Oh, who am I kidding, I don't care as long as they taste good.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Random thought: I've been toying with picking a new pen name, and I'd like to work my father's name into it (Charles). Hubby says "Tasmin Charles" is too "out-there". Not sure I can pull off Charlie as a first name, nor what last name I'd put with it if I did. Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you considered Wawa "Charlie" Skittletits?

Elisabetta

Watching the world go by
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethloupas.com
Random thought: I've been toying with picking a new pen name, and I'd like to work my father's name into it (Charles). Hubby says "Tasmin Charles" is too "out-there". Not sure I can pull off Charlie as a first name, nor what last name I'd put with it if I did. Anyone have any thoughts?

I actually like "Tasmin Charles" a lot. It's unique (a big point in its favor for an author name), it's memorable, it's faintly exotic, and and it gives you a wonderful opportunity for ice-breaking when you speak to interviewers, readers, etc. You know the first question they will ask is, "Where did you get the name 'Tasmin'?" And you can plan a dozen different answers, just to keep things fun. :)

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
I met my wife in Tokyo. We were just out of college and living in the equivalent of Hoboken (before Hoboken got trendy). She taught English; I worked at a newspaper. Lived there for a year. Not the easiest place to live as a foreigner, but a very interesting place to visit. Need to take my kids there someday to show them where their parents met and remind them how random life can be sometimes. Definitely didn't plan to go halfway around the world to meet a nice Jewish girl from New York.

Wow, you really triggered my nostalgia reflex there. We now return to your regularly scheduled purgatory.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Google alerts just turned up my book on some book reviewer's site. Which means apparently my editor or somebody has been sending it around.

Ahem. :e2faint:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I like Tasmin Charles too. I think it's unique but not crazy unique. And Tasmin's clearly a girl's name.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Shipping gods - when will my fleece socks arrive? My feet are freezing. I'm sitting crosslegged on a heating pad just to feel my toes. Deliver my stuff already!

Winter sucks in a house with no heat. I'm going to have to type with gloves on soon, too.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
No review yet - they just put the cover up in a list of books they're taking to Hawaii next week! :)

(But yes, I will totally be reading all my reviews.)

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Tamsin, I really like Kari S. Charles. It's memorable without being off the wall.

Jo, that would have me biting my nails and climbing up the walls with nerves, to know that it's getting reviewed!

So, uh, I posted in Goals & Accomplishments with details of my book deal...

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Exciting, Jo!

I never really tried for grades in school and did really well. I'm not sure how, considering I have severe dyslexia, but I did. My sister, on the other hand, killed herself studying and would cry over an A-.

I like Tasmin Charles, too.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
KT, why does your house have no heat? That seems like a mildly crazy thing.

Can you not even use space heaters to keep from freezing to death?

There's only one space heater, and it's clunky and occasionally smells like it might catch fire. It's a 1950s house that came with a wall heater I'm also leery to touch. There's no central HVAC.

Dawn, dyslexics often have very good memories to offset the visual trouble.

Argh, a pic of a cat on the shelter site might be Chase and D's not home yet! Chase has been missing since March, so it would be a Christmas miracle. The cat is in the adoptable section, meaning he's been there at least a few days.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*falls onto a bar stool* Somrthing hot, please? Bartender's choice.

I just spent an hour and a half channelling my mother. :chair

College Boy waited till today to buy GF's gift. She wanted jewelry, he asked her for suggestions, she gave him 4, all emerald pendants.

Except the makkis nutso (of course). "Real" jewelry stores are way out of his price range (of course). And it's too late to order online (of course). JCP had what she wanted... in theory. But staff ignored him and werent' knowledgable re: stock. So he went to Macy's where he got snapped up by sales staff right away (of course). Total after tax: $140. He came home for supper tonight with sparks shooting out of his hair.

I told him that was way too much--and he agreed. He didn't even like the pendant--it was simply the only thing at the only store that actually had someone to help him. But he's desperate. She's already back at her parents' house getting stuff ready and he's driving there on Saturday.

:rolleyes:

So I fired up my laptop and channelled my Google-fu. (This is the part where I was like my mom. She doesn't have a laptop, but she is totally the Chuck Norris of obsessive shopping research.) After I found and he called 6 stores that either only had stuff online or everything not hugely expensive was out of stock, we think that he has 2 workable options. Bon-ton, JCP (in a different mall), and Piercing Pagoda. (<-- who knew?) He should top out at about $65.

He's hitting the road tomorrow morning. Tonight it's freezing and rainy and his temper is frayed. He went back to his apt. to watch Star Wars and (he said) plot the demise of several clueless salespeople. I told him I wanted the book rights.

Live and learn, young man. Live and learn.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
He waited until NOW, Lily??? What is this, his first girlfriend ever? ;)

My small one is seriously ditching his naptime, even though he still needs it. He's been awake all day and I let him lick the spoon for sugar cookies about two hours ago. I might as well have given him speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.