The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Lily!

Well, my video card to all of you did not turn out as expected. So, please excuse the poor quality. I had issues with the DV camera. They are fixed now, but I lost all of the cool footage I had taken of the tree and the snow outside.

http://youtu.be/Ig-fmQjYobg

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Eveing, Purgatory!

YAY, LILY!!!! :D

(((Maryn))) Have my fingers crossed for the car to restart and keep going.

(((phoenix)))

Like Dys, I'm in the final stretch of retail hell; working Christmas Eve and then getting the train home in the early evening. I survived the day pretty much on chocolate and Lucozade. Today, a customer swore at me.

Season of goodwill, everyone!

I'm off to watch the Muppet Christmas Carol and start wrapping things.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well. I have no idea how to do fancy videos like y'all are sharing. If you get anything from me, it's likely to be some five minute clip of my child running around half-naked singing "JINGLE BELL JINGLE BELL." :)

My mom came down for about half the day to help me prep for the big birthday party. I think we're all set! The trick is getting stuff set up just before it happens so the kiddo doesn't drive us all nuts trying to dismantle everything before the party starts (whenever we change anything in the house he immediately tries to put it back.) I suspect the next 24 hours will involve lots of Dora the Explorer.

I'm beat.

ETA: Final count on the party is 10 kids and 20 adults. Yeesh. I thought, "Hey, if we have his party close to his real birthday, I'll invite a bunch of people and since it's so close to Christmas we'll only have a few people who can come." I was wrong.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{KTaylor}}} Did he consider bringing the other kitteh home?

{{{vfury}}} People suck. Kiddo's friend, who works at a local grocery store, told a woman her total yesterday: $211. The woman at first doubted the total, then said--to a HS male--"Nothing dries up my vagina faster than hearing those words."

:Headbang: People, censor yourselves!

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sammy awesome card!!! I shall endeavor to put something together this weekend. Finishing Book 2 first.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Solstice and End-of-the-World to y'all!

* collapses into Purgatory *

I'm still on Down-Under time. The last few days at work have been miserable - yesterday I was dragging by the time I got home from work and decided to take a nap. Big mistake - I woke up at 7:15 pm and my body was set for the day. I couldn't go to sleep at all last night. Needless to say it was a looooooong day today. Aaaah, the blessed weekend and Christmas holiday arrives. I get to sleep in until 9 tomorrow (well, maybe 8 depending on who gets up with Brett), and then take one of the cars in for maintenance.

Kiddo #2 arrived home from college yesterday and is out with Lynne at a movie while I hold down the fort with Brett and Kiddo #3. She took my order today for my Christmas present - she'll be making me a duct tape wallet with brown faux-leather tape. She's really good - I'll have to post a few pics when I get a chance.

(((Dragon))) for the website coding debacle. Good luck on the final Book 2 scenes!

(((Dys and Fury))) Hang in there! Only a few more days of retail hell!

(((Caleb))) Sorry you missed the sun salutations.

(((Maryn and Kid Two))) * Positive car repair and travel vibes *

(((Phoenix))) for the crazy day and even crazier dude with the BB gun.

(((KT))) Sorry the cat wasn't Chase.

Becky - congrats on finishing and sending off to agent!

Litttle - Yay! for the new, likable, job!

Fire - sinuses all cleared up?

Blond - glad you're having fun in SF.

Lily - Yay! for Kid Two's early acceptance into RIT! Congrats!

Sammy - thanks for sharing the video-greeting. I keep forgetting to put one together.

Jo - good luck with the party, and I hope Sharkbite doesn't dismantle too much before it starts.

Brandy, Sunna, and NIYRAK (and everyone else off from work the next few days) - enjoy the time off!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Lily!

Well, my video card to all of you did not turn out as expected. So, please excuse the poor quality. I had issues with the DV camera. They are fixed now, but I lost all of the cool footage I had taken of the tree and the snow outside.

http://youtu.be/Ig-fmQjYobg

Love it! The treetopper creeped me out a little, though. *sheepish smile*

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Uugghhh :( one of my dads friends kiddos was robed today :( pls send healing vibes his way.

Lil, I ghastly sacks n a outfit.... When your ready ;)

Glad you get to have rest Rick :)

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
(((Rick))) I won't keep mentioning my jet lag remedy, but honestly you will save yourself so many sleepless nights when you finally take it...okay, I did mention it. I can't help myself. :D

Lily, I don't think this last minute stuff is at all confined to young males. It's just a male trait. I was at my dermatologist's yesterday and she said her husband shops at 4pm on Xmas Eve. What do you find for your ultra successful dr wife at 4pm Xmas Eve that she's going to like?

Little1, glad you love your new job!

((Dys))

((vfury))

Becky, phew and yay for finishing and getting it off to agent!

Maryn, sorry for travel woes.

I have no idea what we're doing. My nephew is over here from Australia, as you know, but he's now up in northern CA and supposedly flying back to San Diego on the 24th when we're supposed to drive up to my SIL house in Palos Verdes (90 mins away) for Xmas Eve around 1pm. I don't know when he's arriving, but whenever it is, I have to pick him up in the opposite direction and get up to PV in time. I have serious doubts about this. Oldest son is working and I have visions of Mr. Blue and I alone at Xmas. :(

Rick, you are one busy little social network beaver at the moment, aren't you? Linked!n, FB, Tw!tter. Where else are you going to pop up and request friend status? :D

Oh no, Little1 - sending lots of positive vibes and hopes for a good outcome.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm definitely embracing this end of an era thing today and putting positive vibes out there in the universe for a new beginning for us all - financially, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Lily, I don't think this last minute stuff is at all confined to young males. It's just a male trait. I was at my dermatologist's yesterday and she said her husband shops at 4pm on Xmas Eve. What do you find for your ultra successful dr wife at 4pm Xmas Eve that she's going to like?

This is totally my dad, too. Although I think he's gotten a little more proactive in his retirement. I always thought it was some sort of hunter-gatherer holdover thing. The dude has to get out there and battle all the other last-minute shoppers for the best prize.

My husband is totally not like this at all - he requests a wish list a month in advance and orders everything on time. No, his weakness is assuming that I am as completely unobservant as he is. He specifically asks me if I will clean up the office, and when I do I discover a packing slip for another gift, which he's left in plain sight right out on his desk. And he's all flabbergasted when I suggest this might not be a great idea, because he never wears his glasses around the house and can't see a darn thing. Whatcanyado.

Man. I'm really starting to feel like I need to write. Just one more weeeeeeeek!

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
{{{KTaylor}}} Did he consider bringing the other kitteh home?

He'd bring home nearly every furball he saw if I let him. But no. It's not a good idea to introduce a new cat into this house, and I end up taking care of everything. I'm the one that keeps the bowls filled, reminds him it's been too long since the litter boxes were emptied, reminds about check-ups and shots, reminds again about the litter box, etc etc. So a 10-year-old cat with unknown history here? There are better homes, trust me. I'd give Scrapper to someone else if I knew it wouldn't damage him emotionally to leave me.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Morning all

{{Maryn}} Hope the kids got the car troubles sorted out safely
Lily - :hooray: :hooray: for Kiddo and RIT!!

Finished my shopping last night, got all the Santa presents wrapped, and a few of the others, wrote 2 of the 5 reports I have to write by the end of the year for work, and... that's about it. Feeling slightly more ready for the holidays, but not quite there yet. Today?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for Lily Jr.!

Hugs for Phoenix.

Sorry for the car, Maryn.

Awesome video greeting, Sammy!

Good morning.

As usual, whatever the male genes supposedly is, I have it too... I don't think this seems very late to shop for Christmas. I'm always shopping for something on the 23rd or 24th -- usually something that's kind of easy so I leave it for last. There's something I need to get this year that I'll probably get on the 26th, since I won't see that person until the 27th.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Clovia- We've had that tree topper since I was like 7. Amazingly, it is still working. :)

Mom is making more nut roll today, then, we're making kolaches.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Purgies!

Rick, you are one busy little social network beaver at the moment, aren't you? Linked!n, FB, Tw!tter. Where else are you going to pop up and request friend status? :D
Yes, I've been busy. And I was up at 4 am, joining a few organizations that might help me sell a few books. However, contrary to your post - "I no Twit". I don't do Twitter and don't plan to. (Blue - if you've been friended by someone with my name, he might be my evil twin.)

If you have a Facebook or Linkedin account and I haven't friended you, Friend me if you're so inclined at Rick C@mpbell.

Lily, I don't think this last minute stuff is at all confined to young males. It's just a male trait. I was at my dermatologist's yesterday and she said her husband shops at 4pm on Xmas Eve.
9 pm on Christmas Eve is "last minute". 4 pm is early.

Time to get moving - gotta take one car in for maintenance, then it's a LOTR 3-movie marathon with Kiddos 2 and 3, prepping for a trip to the theater to watch The Hobbit. Kiddo #2 is making us dinner tonight. I think this is the first meal she's cooked for us. Twill be interesting...

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

That's all I have. Off to finish Book 2, hopefully today.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone. Quite a day yesterday--let's hope today runs a bit smoother.

How did people ever manage travel mishaps before cell phones and the internet? Kid Two's car started again, then broke down again. At least this time they'd been paying attention to mile markers and got AAA there for the second time in two hours. Thanks to cell phones and the internet, we searched simultaneously for the hours of operation for car rental places while the GF called them to see if they were still picking up after they'd officially closed (I used to work for Avis, and we'd have stayed late for a multi-day rental who was arriving in the next half-hour), the nearest hotel, and some place for them to eat, since they'd left home at 10:30 and spent most of the day in the dead car or standing next to it. Thanks to technology, we got them a taxi company's phone number, a ride of only a half mile (because walking in the rain while carrying a rabbit cage and luggage isn't practical), a hotel with a restaurant, and a repair place which says it should have them on the road by noon today, several hundred dollars poorer. We haven't yet heard from them today, so I assume they're sleeping in.

We had a smaller birthday dinner for The Kid than planned, but it was quite lovely once the drama of Kid Two stranded in Massachusetts was over. The Kid liked her birthday gifts, although I apparently made one mistake by knowing her tastes too well. I saw a pair of earrings I knew she'd like on Etsy, bought them, and guess what she was wearing when she came over.

The editor of the anthology that bought my latest sale contacted me with a release date which is coming up pretty fast, February 26. Cool! One day I really should make a signature with all this stuff. If I can figure out how.

Maryn, pretty bumbly with all things tech

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Maryn}}} Glad everything got sorted out and everyone is safe.

College Boy drove to Rochester last night. It was bad but he drive slowly and texted me at 11 pm that he got there okay. And now? The sun's peeking out here. :e2shrug:

Here's the new hair color:
A-vG5UZCIAA-294.jpg

Mr. Lily now says that his actual quote was "I bet if I said you looked like your mother I could get you to change your hair color." I told him he's going to go to hell for lying.

My awesome hairstylist is going to tweak it a bit next time. We both want the brown a little richer looking.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Looks great, Lily!

I know most of you already have your favorite cookie recipes for the holidays, but here is my favorite non-chocolate cookie recipe. We make it with the orange flavoring usually, but this year I split the recipe and added coconout flavoring to half. Both yummy.

Ricotta Cheese Cookies
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
¼ tsp. orange/lemon/cocount flavoring or oil (optional)
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. baking powder

Glaze (optional) and sprinkles
1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
Combine sugar and milk.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in ricotta, vanilla, eggs and flavoring.
Add dry ingredients. Drop by Tbsp. full on ungreased cookie sheet
Bake 15 minutes until cookies are a very light golden color on the edges. They will still be white on top. Remove from cookie sheet while still warm and cool on racks. When cool, glaze and add sprinkles.
Makes 5 to 6 dozen

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kid Two is on the road. Whew!

Mr. Maryn and I shoveled the driveway, and I'm now cleaned up and dressed and thinking about baking bread because it's sure nice to walk in the door and smell fresh-baked bread. (Who said anything about Weight Watchers?)

Dinner tonight is just something simple, grilled cheese and soup. Well, two kinds of soup, because my split pea involves ham and the GF is Jewish. Kid Two knows she eats bacon but isn't sure if she eats ham, whether for religious or taste reasons. I figured a good hostess would offer chicken soup, too, even though my chicken soup is fairly meh.

For those who asked via rep, the anthology I'm in is print. Which is cool, because I'm pretty old school, even though I have Kindle for PC and a small library for it. I'll figure out how to put this stuff in my signature, I promise!

Maryn, woman of her word

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As usual, whatever the male genes supposedly is, I have it too...

Yup, always.

We'll be on the road the 24th, and I'm like "Oh, we can get stuff on the way."

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
JL got his last gift yesterday. It was lovely: we went downtown to Union Square, saw the window displays at Macy's, listened to carolers, had a little snack of wine and soup at one of my favorite cafes, then I sat and read a book (a friend got me all the M.R. James anthologies!!!) while he ran to a store for the last gift on his list. Then we met a couple of friends for dinner. Definitely the kind of evening that made me miss San Francisco!

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Lil, love the hair :) You look so purdy!

Blond, that sounds like an awesome evening :)

Gana go wrap the Sisters and Kiddos gifts. My sis' husband already got his gift. I gave him a orange hat for hunting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.