Supernatural with a twist...

DjentlemanJoe

A true Djentleman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lordjsullivan.wix.com
I've always been a fan of movies and books that have a twist in, or are thought provoking - that challenge your mind and keep you wondering, asking questions etc.

I watched Donnie Darko again for the first time in years last night, and I fell in love with it all over again. Visually it's quite an incredible film. What I do know (and I'm sure you'll all agree) is that Books CAN always be better than a movie.

So I got to thinking - how do you go about writing something similar? Where would you look for plot inspiration? What techniques could you follow in order to deliver those emotions and thought provoking scenes through writing?

Obviously I'm aware that largely you'd have to have a solid plot idea in the first instance, and probably a good writing ability in the first place. I'd be very interested in tying in some of these elements (maybe even all) into my own writing to some degree in the future.

Hopefully this doesn't just come across as an aimless wall of text. If you know any books that could help or are similar that would be worth reading in order to get a grasp of how these things are written I'd appreciate that to. I don't know where to start - I'm mostly a fantasy reader/writer.

AlibasterToad

Registered
Reaction score
The novel "The Neverending Story" is worth a read for you I think. This is a case where the book is better than the movie once again, and there are many unusual twists as the book develops. The bizarre mixture of realism and fantasy intrigues me the most about this book and the way he crosses genres, the author's use of language changed my perspective on the boundaries of fantasy. I suggest this work if you have not already done so.

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
I'd actually suggest TED Klein's novella "Petey" - the construction of that work is absolutely beautiful, and the slow weaving in of elements is something I would love to be able to duplicate. (If you don't have a copy, there's a listing of the places it's appeared at http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?51220 .)

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that character reigns supreme in fiction. It's pretty difficult to feel any sort of emotion--especially in written fiction--unless you develop an emotional connection between audience and character. If you have a cardboard character, then you'll need fantastically entertaining plotting to make up for it, and even then you may fail. However, if you create a real character and make your audience fall in love with it, then even the worst plotter in the world can write a masterpiece.