Science Fiction? Romance? Both? Neither?

VonAngel

without wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesisterconnection.wordpress.com
I've been struggling with nailing down a genre longer than I'd care to admit. I began writing the story with no particular genre in mind, which makes this task even more difficult for me.

My MS gives the illusion of time travel (it's revealed near the end that time travel didn't actually occur, but it did spark a medical miracle), which spurs problem #1. I'm not sure if that would still make it science fiction, although there's nothing else in the MS that falls w/in that genre (unless you'd count the MC being a scientist). Then, it's mostly a love story. Like in Romance, the story revolves around a relationship and it contains a HFN; however, the relationship isn't the goal from the beginning and the MC "time travels" for one relationship (w/ his deceased wife) but ends up in another (w/ the heroine, his true love). There's also no "meeting by chapter 2/3" or true alternating POV structure. Romance is such a strict genre that I fear Romance readers may be a bit disappointed. The MS also touches on mending broken relationships (friendship and familial).

I've gone from calling it romantic SF, SF Romance, commercial, mainstream, WF and book club fiction (b/c of some of the issues and decisions the heroine faces). I'm not sure where my MS would fall, and I worry that I may be querying the wrong agents. Help!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, you said a whole bunch of stuff that it isn't. But what IS the goal of the book? What does the hero try to accomplish that he either succeeds or fails at?

Michael Crichton's TIMELINE is time travel and there is romance, but it's in general fiction. Susan Grant's THE LEGEND OF BANZAI MAGUIRE is time travel and futuristic and romance but doesn't really wrap up the story (it's a trilogy). It's shelved in romance. M.J. Rose's THE RECARNATIONIST has romance and time travel and past lives and is alternatively in SF/F or general fiction.

IOW, sometimes it's better not to try to pin it down too much and let the agent and publisher make that decision. If you're querying, go with either SF/F or general fiction. But probably not romance if that's not a primary plot thread and has two POVs included. :)

VonAngel

without wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesisterconnection.wordpress.com
Excellent advice, Cathy...and thanks for taking the time to respond to my confusion.lol I've tried general fiction as well but was unsure of it being the most appropriate. Based on your questions below (and my answers), I'll label it science fiction for now. That makes the most sense.

Okay, you said a whole bunch of stuff that it isn't. But what IS the goal of the book? What does the hero try to accomplish that he either succeeds or fails at?
His goal is ultimately to recapture memories he lost (particularly those of his wife) as a result of a car accident in which is wife was killed; time travel is how he plans to do that. Unfortunately, he gets stuck in the "wrong" time period where he falls in love w/ the heroine but then later finally meets his wife. He spends a portion of the book trying to find a way to return to the future.

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
At one time Harper had at least three different romance/SF product lines. Back then (granted, nearly 20 years ago) I was told they sold more of that than all of the straight SF market combined. Which I still don't quite believe, but for a while it looked like everything was eventually going to wind up as a romance subgenre...