Markets & Guidelines

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good article, Soccer. Thanks for sharing.

I put together a short list of some of the better paying fishing and hunting magazines that I'm familiar with. Included next to each is a link to the submission guidelines (when they could be found), or to the home pages. Even though some editors request queries for article ideas, most will consider written pieces on spec.

In addition to this list, there are many more national magazines and countless regional pubs devoted to hunting and fishing. Hopefully, other members will add to the list from time to time.

Field&Stream: Guidelines

Florida Sportsman: Guidelines

Gray's Sporting Journal: Guidelines

In-Fisherman: Guidelines

Marlin Magazine: Home Page

Outdoor Life: Home Page

Outdoor Canada: Guidelines

Salt Water Sportsman: Home Page

Shallow Water Angler: Home Page

Sport Fishing: Home Page

Sports Afield: Guidelines

Sporting Classics: Home Page Guidelines e-mailed from the editor and publisher, Chuck Wechsler: "No more than 2750 words, preferably less; I pay from $500 to $800 per story, which includes artwork. Editorial payment comes within two weeks after the article appears in our magazine. I work about a year in advance."

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Water Sports

While researching markets, I came across scores of magazines which deal with water sports, including racing (power and sail), skin diving, free diving, snorkeling, spear fishing, water skiing, wake boarding, jet skiing, etc. Below is a small sampling of markets which focus on boating, fly fishing and scuba diving.

American Angler: Guidelines

Boating Magazine: Home Page

Canadian Fly Fisher: Guidelines

Diver Magazine: Guidelines

Fly Fish America: Home Page

Go Boating America: Home Page

Powerboat Magazine: Home Page

Sail Magazine: Guidelines

Sailing World: Guidelines

Saltwater Fly Fishing: Guidelines

Sport Diver Magazine: Guidelines Job Openings: Employment

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
MEN’S HEALTH
WRITER GUIDELINES
It’s not easy to break into Men’s Health. Don’t even try if you haven’t been published in a major magazine. Still with us? Okay, study a back issue or two, then consider the following: Most unsolicited queries fail because they don’t address the Men’s Health reader.

THE MEN’S HEALTH READER
Our circulation is 1,625,000+; 85 percent of our readers are men. Our average reader is 35 years old and is a well-educated urban or suburban professional. He’s active in a number of sports and exercise pursuits.

WHAT WE COVER
As you’ll see, we’re an authoritative source of information on all aspects of men’s physical and emotional health. We rely on writers to seek out the right experts, and to either tell a story from a first-person vantage or to get good anecdotes. We carefully fact-check all quotes and health information contained in the magazine.

TONE
Most of our articles have the tone of a peer who happens to have spoken to a few authorities on the issue at hand. Imagine you’re relating that information to the reader, one on one, over a beer or at dinner.

LENGTH, PAYMENT, RIGHTS
The best place to break into the magazine is “Malegrams” or one of our one-page columns. For “Malegrams,” we seek submissions of about 200 words. We pay $25 to $50 upon completion of fact-checking. Other than that:

Departments run 1,500 words and pay $500-$2,000
Features run 1,200-4,000 words and pay $1,000-$5,000

We usually buy all rights, but this is negotiated on an individual basis. We will consider buying second rights, if your published piece has not appeared in another national magazine, in another health magazine, or in another magazine written primarily for men. When we pay: For departments and features, following acceptance, upon completion of the fact-checking process.

THE DEPARTMENTS
Malegrams: Short takes relevant to men. Clinical and research advances in health, medicine, psychology, sports performance, work and relationship issues, the offbeat.

Training: We cover what’s tried and needs to be tried again (i.e., calisthenics revisited), as well as the trends.

Nutrition: What to eat and when.

Working: How to succeed. How to fail. How to know the difference.

Couples: New takes on major relationship issues.

Self-Care: What to do so that you don’t have to call a doctor.

Looks: Practical and health aspects of grooming, dressing, etc.

Man-to-Man: Simple, well-told stories about manhood, manliness, machismo, momentary lapses. The wiser you are, the more of a wiseguy you can be.

Mind/Body: The psychology of men, and how that relates to health, exercise, performance.

CLIPS
We don’t assign anything without seeing published clips. Photocopies are a good idea, as we may not return clips. Send your best. One or two will do. They don’t all have to be about health or medicine. We want to see how well you report, write and interpret stories.

HOW TO QUERY MEN’S HEALTH
Structure an article proposal this way:
* Start with the lead you expect to put on the piece.
* Write a summary of where you’ll go from there.
* Give specifics on whom you plan to interview, what types of real-life anecdotes you’ll include, what research sources you plan to go to and what conclusion the story might reach. Queries shouldn’t run longer than one page, single-spaced. We’ll get back to you in two-four weeks. (Be sure to enclose a SASE.)

MANUSCRIPTS
If you send a manuscript, it must be typed double- or triple-spaced, with margins of at least 1 inch. Send a copy of your original, just in case. We report on manuscripts in four to eight weeks

BACK ISSUES
Call our customer service department at (800) 666-2303 to order back issues.

Please send article submissions by regular mail to me at the address below. No phone calls please!

Visit Men's Health on the Web at http://www.menshealth.com/.

For information on other Rodale publications, please visit our Web site at
http://www.rodale.com/.

To purchase Rodale books online, visit http://www.rodalestore.com/.

Best of health to you and yours!
Mary Rinfret
Men’s Health Magazine
Rodale Inc.
33 East Minor Street
Emmaus, PA 18098-0099

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Fitness

After studying several dozen fitness markets, I've listed a few which may be of interest to some writers. The highest paying pub, Men's Health, was included upthread by K-Mark; and with payments as high as $5000 for feature articles, it's certainly a publication worth looking into.

Most fitness magazines are geared to either men or women, with a select few catering to both. Nevertheless, some guidelines request both male and female perspectives. For example, Fit Pregnancy, with a following that favors new and expectant mothers, calls for articles by fathers as well.

Fit Pregnancy: Guidelines (Included here to honor the mothers-to-be who grace AW.:) )

Fitness Magazine: Home Page

Health & Fitness Sports Magazine: Home Page

Men's Journal: Guidelines

Runner's World: Guidelines

Shape: Guidelines

Women's Health & Fitness: Home Page

Yoga Journal: Guidelines

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Winter Sports

With cold weather fast approaching, it might be a good time to visit a few pubs which specialize in winter sports.

Alpinist: Guidelines

American Snowmobiler: Guidelines

Couloir: Submissions (A nice page that makes freelancers feel welcome.)

Couloir: Guidelines

Cross Country Skier: Guidelines

Hockey Player (e-zine): Guidelines

International Figure Skating: Home Page

Ski Canada: Home Page

Ski Press: (Canada) Home Page

Snowboard Journal (new): Home Page

Spotlight on Skating: Home Page

Transworld Snowboarding: Home Page

The Hockey News (Canada): Home Page

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Cycling, Running & Swimming

In another thread, TeddyG inspired a look into these markets. Although I found very few swim-related pubs, there's a thriving industry in the sports of running and cycling which may appeal to some writers.

Adventure Cyclist: Guidelines

Asphalt Magazine: Home Page

Bike Culture: Home Page

Bike Magazine: Guidelines

Bicycle Paper: Home Page

Bicycling Magazine: Home Page

Cycle Sport America: Home Page

Dirt Rag: Guidelines

Journal of Swimming: (Technical pub) Guidelines

Marathon & Beyond: Home Page

New England Runner: Home Page

Pro Cycling: Home Page (They're looking to hire a "features writer.")

Running Fitness: Home Page

Running Journal: Home Page

Running Times: Guidelines

Swim News: Home Page

Swimming World: Home Page

USMS Swimmer: Home Page

I stumbled onto an author's very cool web site. Josie Dew is an avid cyclist who has written several books recounting her travels.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone knows guidelines for Women's Health?

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone knows guidelines for Women's Health?
I couldn't find their guidelines. The web site is located here, and you can e-mail story ideas and request their guidelines here.

Women's Health is owned by the same company (Rodale) as Men's Health. Besides the obvious target audience, I imagine both publications are similar in quality, and the guidelines for Men's Health are listed up-thread.

If you do find more information, it would be great if you'd post it in this thread.

Thanks.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
WOMEN’S HEALTH
WRITER GUIDELINES
It’s not easy to break into Women’s Health. Study a back issue or two, then consider the following: Most unsolicited queries fail because they don’t solve a problem relevant to the Women’s Health reader with immediate, actionable advice.

THE WOMEN’S HEALTH READER
Our circulation is 400,000. Our average reader is 25-39 years old (median age 31.2). They are well-educated with a household income of 75K. Three quarters of them are married or live with a partner. More than half have kids. They go to the gym 2.6 times a week. Her priorities are to feel healthy, beat stress, deepen her relationships and look her best.WHAT WE COVER

Women’s Health is an authoritative source of information on all aspects of women’s physical and emotional health. We rely on writers to seek out the right experts, and to either tell a story from a first-person point of view or using relevant and compelling anecdotes. All quotes and health information contained in the magazine are thoroughly and carefully fact-checked.

Acceptable sources include:
• original interviews with qualified experts (individuals considered leaders in their fields,
affiliated with top universities or institutions, actively doing research, etc.)
• original research published in peer-reviewed journals
• fact sheets, position papers, and information from Web sites sponsored by major
medical associations (medlineplus.com, pubmed.com, and eurekaalert.com),
institutions, and/or government health agencies

TONE
Every story should be:
Informative: No fluff. We deliver the facts, debunk the myths, divulge the hidden truths.
Instructive: No guessing. We tell you exactly how to solve problems, get results, and be
your best.
Immediate: No waiting. We get you started right here, right now.
Insightful: No illusions. We know what your life is really like.
Inspiring: No limits. We believe you can be and can have anything and everything you want.

LENGTH, PAYMENT, RIGHTS
Our editors like to see a well-written 200-400-word pitch for any section of the magazine.

Front-of-the-book pieces run at about 200-300 words. Departments and features run
anywhere between 800 to 3,000 words. Six to eight page stories run at about 3,000 words.
FROM WH: We usually buy all rights, but this is negotiated on an individual basis. We will
consider buying second rights, if your published piece has not appeared in another national
magazine, in another health magazine, or in another magazine written primarily for women.
When we pay: For departments and features, following acceptance, upon completion of the
fact-checking process.
PITCHES
Before you send your pitch, ask yourself these questions:
1. Why do we care about this topic?
How can we take an idea and turn it into a targeted story? Is there a fresh, new
counter-intuitive perspective readers need to hear? Can we solve problems with
surprising, new information?
2. How many people does it affect? What ages? Gender? Does the story relentlessly
serve the reader?
3. What recent studies (no more than one year old) back up your story idea?
4. What's the take home message for readers? What immediate, direct, and actionable
tips does our reader walk away with? Will this help the reader gain greater control
over one area of her life? Is the answer realistic? Would you and your friends really
do this?
FOOTNOTES
Footnote your article.
You must provide a source for every fact.
Insert your footnotes directly into the copy of the article that you’re going to e-mail in
for editing. Please DON’T submit a separate annotated manuscript. Use [square brackets]
to set the footnotes off from the rest of the text.
Please use this suggested footnote format:
• For experts and other contacts: Use the first letter of the expert’s last name.
Exception: If two experts have the same initial, use the first & last initial or full last
name.
Example: [W] or [BW] or [Walsh] = information from Brian Walsh, MD.
• For written sources: Assign a number to the source, and use that number. Example:
[1]
If the source has several pages, please indicate the page(s) used. Example: [1, p 85]
CLIPS
We don’t assign anything without seeing published clips from a major publication. Emails,
PDF or photocopies are a good idea, as we may not return clips. Send your best. One or two
will do. They don’t all have to be about health or medicine. We want to see how well you
report, write and interpret stories.
HOW TO QUERY Women’s Health
Structure an article proposal this way:
* Start with the lead you expect to put on the piece.
* Write a summary of where you’ll go from there.
* Give specifics on whom you plan to interview, what types of real-life anecdotes you’ll
include, and what research sources you plan to go to and what conclusion the story might
reach. Queries shouldn’t run longer than one page, single-spaced. We’ll get back to you in
two-four weeks. (Be sure to enclose a SASE.)
MANUSCRIPTS
If you send a manuscript, it must be typed double- or triple-spaced, with margins of at least 1
inch. Send a copy of your original, just in case. We report on manuscripts in four to eight
weeks
BACK ISSUES
Call our customer service department at (800) 324-1731 to order back issues.
Please send article submissions by regular mail to me at the address below.
No phone calls please!
Visit Women's Health online at http://www.womenshealthmag.com
For information on other Rodale publications, please visit our Web site at
http://www.rodale.com/.
To purchase Rodale books online, visit http://www.rodalestore.com/.
Best of health to you and yours!
The Editors at Women’s Health

Sorry for the jumbled look.

JenniferGibbs

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for online contact info for Muscle & Fitness...

Hello there gang! I'm new around here, but I'm a veteran fitness writer, and I'm wondering if anyone has their hands on the guidelines or simply the contact information for Muscle & Fitness.

I know that the majority of their articles are done in-house, but I also know that they take freelance contributions - I just don't know how to do it digitally.

I have nothing against snail mail, but it just takes so much longer.

If anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jennifer