Calling for Research?

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Question regarding research and when you call someone or a company for information. How do you present yourself so that people take you seriously and give you the information you need? I'm venturing out to being a self-published author, and never know how to describe myself and sound professional. Do you say you're working on a report, or a book? Do people ask you for credentials?

I figure other people have dealt with similar issues. How did you handle it?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Hi, my name is Maryn Blackburn and I'm writing a novel which has [whatever led you to the company]. I really want to get it right. Can you connect me to a public information officer who might put me in touch with an expert there?"

You do not need to tell them you intend to self publish, or that you have not ever published a novel before, or any other details. Your purpose is all that's required.

You will, of course, have done your homework, learning the basics about whatever it is and preparing questions to ask the expert. If you're nervous, it'll help to write them down.

Most people who know all about subject X want to see it done right in books. Many will be glad to help you, assuming they have the time.

Maryn, shy enough that this is quite difficult for her

Last edited:

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff, Maryn. Thanks.

Did you ever have anyone rebuff you, and how did you handle it?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff, Maryn. Thanks.

Did you ever have anyone rebuff you, and how did you handle it?

I found the question in your OP a bit vague, but to answer this one, you simply say 'thank you', hang up and try someone/somewhere else.

As far as 'company' goes, it depends on the size, what they do, etc., and what you are looking to have answered. Keep in mind you might be talking to a busy receptionist who might have no idea what you're wanting and might just try to get you off the phone again as fast as she can.

I'd recommend always doing as much research on your on as possible before trying to call a complete stranger. People will take you much more seriously if you already sound somewhat informed and aren't likely to take up too much of their time.

If a company has a website, try to find out what you can on there, or browse through their personnel page if they have one and try to find who you think might be able to help.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I personally find email more effective if it is not a very complex or open ended question.

You are cold calling so people might just refuse. I don't consider that surprising or upsetting. They normally do that by just not calling or writing back.

You are most likely to get a response from a smaller company where the technical/professional people answer the phone rather than service or admin people.

mlovmo

Registered
Reaction score
Are you a member of a professional organization? Mail or fax with impressive-looking letterhead might work. Okay, it's silly, but I know someone who couldn't even get a "p*ss off!" by agencies of a foreign government regarding his inquiries into their policies and history. He used an "impressive-looking letterhead," signed his name "Admiral Harvey Q. Beeswanger, esq." or some such nonsense(!) and all the door opened, including an invitation for some face-time with one of the directors on his next visit to the country.

Try dazzling them!

wallfull

author, psychologist, speaker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
Be respectful of the expert's time! I've had people send me 20 questions, all of which would require me to do research to answer. I recommend emailing, so you're not interrupting. Describe your topic, and ask 3-5 questions. Give the expert the choice of whether they'd like to respond by email of speak to you (briefly) by phone.