The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Hi all! Boy I wish I had found this place last year. I wrote about a dozen short stories during down time at work but submitted none all year. I am trying to get back on track in 2013 and have already submitted one short story. I have two more I just finished rewriting and plan to send out this week. This may be what I need to keep myself accountable.
:welcome: Well, you're here now. That's all that matters. 2 years ago, when I first did W1S1, it was exactly what I needed to hold me accountable. That's why I'm back this year. :D Good luck on your sub.

Much feedback from critters on a couple different stories. Should have them tweaked and ready for submission in the next week or so. This week is a total bust for actual writing. Kids are home ALL week.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Night Terr0rs 3 submitters: If you submitted to this market before Nov. 13th, you should have received a response by now, per their Facebook page.

I submitted to them on Nov. 5th and after asking about it, it seems they never received my story. Looks like I have to resubmit...after 107 days! *faints*

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Night Terr0rs 3 submitters: If you submitted to this market before Nov. 13th, you should have received a response by now, per their Facebook page.

I submitted to them on Nov. 5th and after asking about it, it seems they never received my story. Looks like I have to resubmit...after 107 days! *faints*

*Brings out the smelling salts.* Oh man, that's awful. Did they say anything about bumping your story to the front of the queue when you re-send it?

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
This week is a total bust for actual writing. Kids are home ALL week.

Happens to me too. :) Good luck getting a few minutes in if you can.

Ouch, O'Dandelo - so sorry to hear that news. I do hope they put you at the front of the queue. And good luck with the story. Hope they buy it.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
They found my story and 30 others in a folder for an email address that was only up on their website the first few days the anthology was open for submissions. So they're asking me (and those 30) to add another month for response times. Oh well. What's 140ish days compared to 107?

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
They found my story and 30 others in a folder for an email address that was only up on their website the first few days the anthology was open for submissions. So they're asking me (and those 30) to add another month for response times. Oh well. What's 140ish days compared to 107?

Oh no! That's deeply annoying. As it was their mistake, you'd at least think they'd let you jump the queue. Seems a shame to penalise people for submitting in a timely fashion.

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Hi, everybody. I'm back after a W1S1 hiatus that I took to concentrate on my novels. I have written a few short works and even had some acceptances in the intervening months, but it's time to get into a serious rhythm again.

O'Dandelo, sorry about your troubles. Something similar happened to me in 2012, when a pro-zine editor decided---after shortlisting, then losing, then finding my story, then not being able to fit it into the coming themes---that he would reject it out of mercy. Not sure it felt so merciful! Good luck with your situation. Glad they're still considering your story, but I agree with Sylvia that you should be able to jump the queue.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Finding 31 lost stories, it sounds like they might already be putting them at the head of the queue to give an outside estimate of 30 days. Odandelo - for bringing it to their attention, I hope you are one of the first they consider.:Hug2:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Happens to me too. :) Good luck getting a few minutes in if you can.
So far, not happening. But...I am getting a lot of reading done. I'm considering it a fuel week. :D LOTS of audiobooks as I can do them while cleaning/walking/bike riding/general-eyeballs-on-kids-time.

Oh well. What's 140ish days compared to 107?
Eeesh. :Hug2:

Hi, everybody. I'm back after a W1S1 hiatus that I took to concentrate on my novels. I have written a few short works and even had some acceptances in the intervening months, but it's time to get into a serious rhythm again.
Welcome back!

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Question on query etiquette:

Fantastic Frontiers appears to be going defunct (website stagnant, no new issues since their first came out this past summer, forums seem to have disappeared). I have a story sitting in their slush since September, and would like to find out if they are, in fact, defunct or are still considering pieces. They don't list an e-mail address for queries, or if they do I can't find it. Do I send the note to the submissions address? And what if they never reply--I'll need to withdraw my story so I can sub it elsewhere, I believe. Would a withdrawal e-mail simply go to the same address?

How do you handle unresponsive markets?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Question on query etiquette:

Fantastic Frontiers appears to be going defunct (website stagnant, no new issues since their first came out this past summer, forums seem to have disappeared). I have a story sitting in their slush since September, and would like to find out if they are, in fact, defunct or are still considering pieces. They don't list an e-mail address for queries, or if they do I can't find it. Do I send the note to the submissions address? And what if they never reply--I'll need to withdraw my story so I can sub it elsewhere, I believe. Would a withdrawal e-mail simply go to the same address?

Yes, it's OK to query at the submission address.

I would query and then send a withdrawal notice a week later if there's no response to the query at that time.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Do I send the note to the submissions address? And what if they never reply--I'll need to withdraw my story so I can sub it elsewhere, I believe. Would a withdrawal e-mail simply go to the same address?

If there's no query address, send it to submissions, but label it as a query in the email title. Give them the date you submitted, your name and your story name. As you think the market is dead, you could skip this stage... but if you do query, don't give them too long to reply. If you don't get one in a couple of weeks, I doubt you're ever getting one.

Send the withdrawal to the same address, and again, put withdrawal in the title. You don't need to wait for a reply (because you probably won't get one from a dead market). Just withdraw and submit it elsewhere.

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Well, I'm finally back to W1S1 after almost a month away from writing. I injured both hands (though my writing hand was worse than the other) and have been slowly on the mend, but it's been a long road and I'm still not 100% yet.

Luckily, it's better than it was in the beginning, so I'm actually able to get some work done instead of just spending every day managing the pain.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to finish anything for this month but I've got a bunch of stories to finish so March should be fruitful for me word-wise, fingers crossed. :) I'm just happy to be writing again.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally back to W1S1 after almost a month away from writing. I injured both hands (though my writing hand was worse than the other) and have been slowly on the mend, but it's been a long road and I'm still not 100% yet.

Luckily, it's better than it was in the beginning, so I'm actually able to get some work done instead of just spending every day managing the pain.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to finish anything for this month but I've got a bunch of stories to finish so March should be fruitful for me word-wise, fingers crossed. :) I'm just happy to be writing again.

Sorry to hear about this, but glad you're on the mend. Have you ever used Dragon or any other speech recognition program? I use it sometimes when I"m writing new material (vs revising) and trying to get a lot done. It's not perfect, but not bad either.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Man, that's too bad, mrajotte. I'm glad you're doing better.

I have two stories so close to sending out. Market shopping sucks. Like, really, REALLY sucks. But I think I have narrowed down the list and should get these stories out by Thursday at the latest.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Well, you're here now. That's all that matters. 2 years ago, when I first did W1S1, it was exactly what I needed to hold me accountable. That's why I'm back this year. :D Good luck on your sub.

thanks soapdish!

Sent out four subs today. That's all I could manage before the guidelines began blurring. Back to writing

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Hi everybody! I'm back! Well, I guess I never really went away, but I haven't been nearly as active as I was before. Babies do that :)

Still, I'm back to writing again--slowly but surely--and plan on getting some new subs out. I'm committing to the monthly version of W1S1. Guess that means I better hurry to catch up then, huh?

Nice to see new faces amongst the old. *waves*

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Sorry to hear about this, but glad you're on the mend. Have you ever used Dragon or any other speech recognition program? I use it sometimes when I"m writing new material (vs revising) and trying to get a lot done. It's not perfect, but not bad either.

Thanks! Actually, I have an older version of Dragon that I would use now and then but over the last few weeks I've been using it for pretty much everything. It works pretty well, although I find editing to be kind of clumsy and slow-going but it's better than not being able to write at all, isn't it? :)

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back Brenda!

Well, looks like I managed one new story for Feb (thanks to NPR's 3MF), but made 25 submissions overall.
I've only done flash pieces so far this year; odd for me, since I'm not particularly good at it...

Tierney.Clement

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm just beginning W1S1. Over the past year or so, I've really let my writing fall by the wayside, and I'm hoping to use this to get myself motivated again.