The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Purgies!

On my way to meet Phoenix at her hotel--we're having a walking breakfast to the Garden of Remembrance to see the Children of Lir statue. :D

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, Purgies!

On my way to meet Phoenix at her hotel--we're having a walking breakfast to the Garden of Remembrance to see the Children of Lir statue. :D

Pictures! Pictures! :D

Have fun, lovelies! :heart:

On which note, I have to admit, even with all the people craziness, I may have to add Dublin to my "favorite cities" list. :D

On the "smelly carpet" topic, Lysol may be my new bestest friend. I may just have re-possessed my bedroom. :)

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome back, guys! :)

Good to see you, Happy! Google Analytics is effective at summoning abandoned Purgies!

More effective than an Ouija board ;-)

I think I need to get ahold of Downtown Abbey...

Stare into my avatar's blue eyes and repeat after me: I must watch Downton Abbey. I must watch Downton Abbey...

Had a revision epiphany last night that amounted to the realization I could end some of my flashbacks on cliffhangers, and wouldn't that work out so much better. Yes, cliffhangers - who'd have ever thought of that before? :rolleyes: I'm a genius. Oy.

Yay for epiphanies! :)

Next big movie I'm waiting for- Prometheus.

*quivers with anticipation*

Morning, purgs!Having fun with Weather Migraines here in sunnaland: the weird string of thunderstorms and heavy rain we've gotten over the last 2 days have not done me much good. Woozy and exhausted today, but it looks like things are going to dry up, so hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight.

HC!!! ~*%flying-tacklehug%*~

*stumbles, stands up, and sends a tacklehug right back at ya*

Sorry to hear about the migraines :(

Good morning all!
I'm so tired today. I think my body is taking revenge for pushing to hard in NY. I got sick up there but was all "why be sick in a hotel bed when I can go be sick in a bar?"
Maybe not my wisest moment.

(((Brandy)))

Re Belladonna: The hippie vegetarian food truck near me has a sandwich called the Belladonna. I told them that deadly poison is not a good association for their food, but they did not listen.

Wha??? LOL

+1

The Dark L1ght comes out in 90 days and I am already snowed!!!!! :e2thud:

Woooooot!!! How exciting!!!!! :D

I broke down and asked my agent and this is essentially what he said. Which does not help, since I don't subscribe to either. Haha. I'm going a little bonkers because he ALWAYS forgets to email me stuff he says he's going to, so when he says he'll tell me when the news goes out, what he actually means is, "Email me when you start to go insane and I'll remember that I forgot to tell you two weeks ago!"

This makes me feel less guilty about badgering him when I do. :)

Is there room on the bonkers/badgering bus for one more? *squeezes in* ;-)

lwalker congrats!
hope you enjoyed it. hee!
i'm done. sending ms to agent
tomorrow after the bub's spring sing!
this is it puglets, wish me luck! =D
/bootay shake!!

Good luck!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention - my Visa credit card got hijacked AGAIN. (4th time in last 5 years.) Some dude in Nevada tried to use my card - actually had a physical card, too. (Hmmm - what have you been up to, Dragonstar?)

Luckily, our credit card company has upgraded their fraud detection system. A few years ago, both Lynne and I used our cards in Hawaii, and they didn't pick up on the $5000 Nordstrom charge in New Jersey the same day. But a few weeks later, they locked me out when I tried to buy a pretzel at Auntie Anne's in the mall. Seriously?

Oh well, new cards are on the way and there's no headaches for us to deal with, except a temporary lack of a VISA card.

Ugh. What a hassle! Hugs.

On which note, had a minor heart attack when my Magic Ticket (trans.: Green Card) wasn't in my wallet. I only had it in there for my Europe trip and normally keep it locked up (you're supposed to have it with you, but the fucker is $460 to replace if it gets lost or stolen, so into my lockbox it goes). Anyway, false alarm, I had already stuck it into my black shiny box. Phew.

Glad you found it!

I'm sorry if I missed anyone. Hugs and brownies to those who need them! :)

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge the folks in this thread have on almost every topic.

My brain is an encyclopedia of trivia I don't get to use often.

See, I was wondering if those actually worked.

Yup. If you go to a convention, they're practically a necessity, as thieves sign up to go just to ID theft hundreds/thousands of people.

Movie was under 2 hours. I liked it. D is a fan of the original and he didn't so much. The full proper score wasn't in place yet and some of the special effects were still in the composite stage at times. All the actors did a good job with what they were given.

Can't say specifics publicly until release day because we had to sign an NDA.

Also ended up on the end of the front row facing the giant curved screen, which wasn't ideal. I can't full take in action scenes from the front row when things start moving fast.

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Purgies!

Proof that Phoenix and I met up this morning:

photo-3.jpg

She's an absolute sweetheart and I had a great time, though it was sadly short and raining. She says hi to everyone! (I was trying so hard to smile normally that it... failed. Haha.)

Forgot to say: welcome back, Happy Camper! Great to see you. :)

And now I managed to score a window seat at the coffee shop and am glaring at Scrivener. Ha.
riaruby

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
*reads over your shoulder*

I actually did just automatically glance over my shoulder even though I'm sitting at a WALL. D'oh.

And you'll be seeing the first 50 pages veeeeery soon.

(Are you doing the June Nanowrimo? I signed up, mostly for the wordcounter, though I'm aiming for about 30k this month. Hopefully.)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I actually did just automatically glance over my shoulder even though I'm sitting at a WALL. D'oh.

And you'll be seeing the first 50 pages veeeeery soon.

(Are you doing the June Nanowrimo? I signed up, mostly for the wordcounter, though I'm aiming for about 30k this month. Hopefully.)

Awesome! Can't wait. :D My YA UF is possibly ready to be read.

I would love to Nano, but I'm slammed with work right now and my next book is still in the outlining stages. I must plan. Plannnnnn.

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Can't wait. :D My YA UF is possibly ready to be read.

I would love to Nano, but I'm slammed with work right now and my next book is still in the outlining stages. I must plan. Plannnnnn.

Awesome, send it over whenever you want.

Well, uh, yay for being slammed with work! ;)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, cute photo, vfury and Phoenix!

Good morning!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgatory!

(((Rick))) Ugh, that sucks.

Vfury and Phoenix, such a cute pic! *is jealous*

Finally shaping up to be a nice day here. Think I wrestled my outline into something passable last night (with much thanks to the awesomeness of Steve). Gotta read it over again this evening, then hit send.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

I'm literally at finishing one last row and then doing the border. Yes, now not only do my forearms hurt but my wrists do as well. I hope she likes this bloody thing.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Morning all,
Love the meetup pic, vfury and phoenix!!

No hope of catching up. Have been out flat with bronchitis for the past few days. So hugs and yays as appropriate.

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Ink! *crosses fingers*

(((Sammy)))

I've spent the last hour googling, trying to figure out what to vote for in the EU fiscal treaty today, and I'm still confused. I don't trust what either side is saying, and I finally found the actual wording of the amendment we'll be sticking in our constitution* and it's a bit... worrying. :(

I really want to kick the politicians and bankers in the ass right now. Argh.

[/ the most political I will ever get in Purgatory]

* A quirk of the Irish Constitution is that any time something in it is going to be amended, the people have to vote it in or reject it. We have a glorious history :)tongue) of rejecting things the EU want to put into effect, only to be politely told to go back and vote again.

Last edited:

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Purgies!

How is everyone today? I still stuffy but better, with a lot of work to do to prevent me from getting melodramatic and crawling back into bed. :)

Yay Ink!!!
(((Sammy)))
(((rab)))

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Feel better after verbally slapping someone bitching in a first-world entitlement rant. How some people can be so it's-all-about-me as to have such unreasonable expectations is beyond me. And if she'd read the update page once in a while, she'd know her problem is already being addressed, but noooooo that takes effort. If you're gonna be a bitch, go to the back of the line. /rant

And...bitch-slap take two. At least I'm publicly exposing that person for the brat she is. One of those people I'm certain screams at customer service and tech support and gloats when they cave just to shut them up and get them off the phone. Hate that 'proud of my tantrums' shit. Debating whether to keep fighting with reason, or drop her from my FB and Twitter.

In other news, the knot in my back moved to a different location yesterday that's making much of my left side hurt. Can't really take a deep breath. Off to the chiro this weekend.....

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling very nervous / stressed / panicky / like I may break down at any second...

no reason...just one of those days... I want to go home and hide before I snap at anyone for no reason... I hate days like this.

Forgive my dash and whine moment... I just needed an outlet...

*curls up on couch with comfy blanket to hide*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Sharing a link via Ink for my Purgies who have been experiencing poor responses as they've queried agents over the past few months:
http://www.pubrants.blogspot.com/2012/05/heres-genre-i-didnt-think-of.html

Sort of a jaw-dropping post.

If you believe Krist1n Ne1son, I think this partly explains why agents aren't even requesting brilliant, well-crafted but not-trend-chasing books. It seems that these days some agents who used to rep a broader spectrum of books have turned into johnny-come-lately spaghetti agents, jumping into hot genres and throwing books out to see if they stick.

But if your book is not in one of those hot genres, it may not matter how well-crafted it is.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Thanks for the link, Kell.

It's expected with everything that has transpired. People need a money grab.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
My take? It's a direct response to the FSOG thing.
(eta: and I get that there's not much (read: any) overlap between FSOG and YA/MG, but I think think there's a sense in publishing right now that nobody knows what's going to hit, and people are throwing up their hands and saying screw it.)

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Good point, Rab. YA was one gold rush, now maybe erotic romance/erotica is the next gold rush, or self-published phenoms (which are at least vetted by readers, if not traditional tastemakers).

It's sort of the opposite of the old "cream rises to the top" thing. Right now, it's more like "heat rises."

I hope hot crap doesn't get published, but there's a lot of beautiful books languishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.