Anyone used Bookbub?

K.D. West

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kdwestwrites.wordpress.com
I'm considering using Bookbub to promote an upcoming price-reduction.

The price, though, is steep for erotic romance — $500 for a $0.99 sale. The Bookbub price sheet suggests that I'd net two or three times the cost.

I'm confident of the book's ability to sell, but still...

The question is, has anyone used Bookbub? If so how did the promotion go for you?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I just submitted my first this morning. Still waiting on a response.

Everyone I know who's done one has said it paid off. One had something like 40,000 downloads of her free book. So, we shall see. If the one I submitted isn't accepted, I'll keep trying with different titles.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
'Paid off' how? I'd like to see some sell-through averages as a percentage of those free downloads. I get that it's a good tool to promote a large backlist, but I'm not sure massive freebie promos are going to do much for less prolific authors.

Maybe it might prompt more reviews? Maybe advertising a lower price might help, too.

Is Bookbub basically saying spend $500 with us, and we'll get you $1500?

Last edited:

K.D. West

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kdwestwrites.wordpress.com
Thanks, Lori and Filagree.

We weren't planning on going free -- there doesn't seem to be a huge benefit to that plan unless you're giving away the first novel in a series. This would be offering a $5.99 collection that currently sells about three copies a week for $0.99. It'd cost $500 - and yes, based on their numbers I'd expect it to sell between 1500-2000 copies, netting ~$1000-$1500, with the added advantage that a certain percentage would go on to buy my other titles -- or possibly the audiobook, which nets $10/sale. But obviously there's no guarantee.

Lori, how far in advance of the sale did you apply?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those of us watching will be interested in hearing results from both your experiences. Thanks for the openness.

Maryn, glad to have you both

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
So far, one of the two titles has been rejected, but I haven't heard back on the second one. If that one is kicked back too, I'll reapply with another book.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Good luck getting on Bookbub. You need to have a big selling, lots of reviews, popular book to even be considered. Meaning if your book isn't selling already they won't consider you so this is not a service for those that are trying to break into publishing. Esp if you're erotic romance, small press and/or indie, or self published. I've seen NY Times and USA Today bestsellers get rejected when they try to get a campaign for their self published stuff.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Update: One of my books was accepted for a feature in early August. I'll post here when it goes live, and what the results are.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Update: My BookBub went live today. LGBT list (which is fairly small), reduced from $4.99 to $0.99. Bear in mind, I also tweeted and posted on Facebook, but within two hours of the e-mail going out, the book has sold just under 300 copies. I'll post more numbers as it goes, but so far, so good!

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
12 hours later: 600+ copies sold (so far - amazon is slow to update), ranking of #318 on Kindle and #1 in Gay Romance.

Verdict: Totally worth it.

marcievaliant

Registered
Reaction score
That's amazing. I'm in awe a little bit. Hope it keeps climbing for you! If I had a Kindle, I'd get myself a copy. I really need a Kindle :/

AngelsAvengeMe

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I'm definitely checking this site out! Thanks :) And congrats on the good news!

blaquebutterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Just WOW this sounds like a great avenue to try!

Thanks for this information!

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
What is it about BookBub that makes it different from other sites showing book deals? Not being sarcastic, seriously want to know. Does it just show deals or do readers download from there like Amazon?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
It posts the discounted book to a mailing list of "daily deals." Some of the lists have upwards of a million subscribers. The one I used (the LGBT list) has 80,000 subscribers, and is the smallest list.

Also, update: the book is still discounted for a few more days, and has sold 1,350 copies, mostly on Amazon.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Wow thinker, that's great! So if accepted, it is only on sale there and not in other sales channels right? I'm not in KDP Select but was wondering if Amazon or Barnes & Nobles had anything in their terms of use specs on that.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Wow thinker, that's great! So if accepted, it is only on sale there and not in other sales channels right? I'm not in KDP Select but was wondering if Amazon or Barnes & Nobles had anything in their terms of use specs on that.

You tell BookBub where the book will be discounted. Adjusting the pricing is up to you, and you can do it on one channel, all channels, etc. They just announce that there's a free or deeply discounted book, and the link to the channel(s) where it's discounted.