• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I Need Beta Readers/Final Eyes Editors for My New Dystopian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia Faith

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I'm a YA dystopian author, and I recently finished the second book of my pro-life dystopian series. The book is called, "Curtis' Generation Mission 1: The Inferiors". It is a sequel to a book I'm getting ready to release, "For the Future Generations". "For the Future Generations" was focused on the national consequences of abortion, while "Curtis' Generation Mission 1" is focused on the euthanasia side.

The time-travelers from the first book go to Utah in the year 2100, after the Second War on Slavery. Though the disabled and elderly are not yet euthanized, those who cannot work--known as "Inferiors"-- are kept as slaves. The time-travelers go to help a bullied boy named Curtis McKinney, who will grow up to become the cause of a massacre. The goal is to change his view of himself, and in turn, his view of others. On the mission, the travelers rescue Curtis' classmate with autism, Lucy, and former slaves who will play a prominent role in society.

Long story short, I'm in college and don't have much time for self-editing this novel. I'm looking for beta readers and final eyes editors to help me out. I'm looking for grammar, style, consistency, tone, and developmental suggestions. Basically, the more in depth you get, the better.

Unfortunately, I also don't have time for novel swaps. If anyone is willing to help, I would so appreciate it.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Anastasia,

I'm glad I'm the first one to reply, because I can say this really gently. I hope.

This is your first post to Absolute Write, and while we're definitely happy to have you, you might want to consider getting to know the community and becoming an active participant before asking for a beta reader.

More specifically, you asked for a beta reader and you stated it was because you don't have the time to self-edit, or the time to swap. For most people reading your post, that translates into "I don't have time to work on my novel, so I'm going to share something that's not very good with you and expect you to fix it for me, AND I don't have enough time to return the favor."

That's not a very enticing thought, you see? It tells me you aren't serious about your work, and it also makes you seem a bit more self-centered than I think you were intending.

I'm a fairly active beta reader and critter, and as I do in those partnerships, I'm not going to leave you this feedback without also leaving you a few suggestions.

Get to know Absolute Write. Build a presence on the forums by participating, by critiquing others, by offering your feedback and your time. Do that before asking someone else to spend their time on you.

And put your best work forward. Make your novel shine as best as you can, THEN get beta readers. Some folks will read for concept alone, but the kind of detail-oriented person you asked for will not be enchanted with the idea of doing your editing for you, or being in depth when you yourself have stated you haven't been. Does that make sense?

Show us your dedication, your passion. Your best work.

Good luck, and welcome to AW.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I'm a YA dystopian author, and I recently finished the second book of my pro-life dystopian series. The book is called, "Curtis' Generation Mission 1: The Inferiors". It is a sequel to a book I'm getting ready to release, "For the Future Generations". "For the Future Generations" was focused on the national consequences of abortion, while "Curtis' Generation Mission 1" is focused on the euthanasia side.

The time-travelers from the first book go to Utah in the year 2100, after the Second War on Slavery. Though the disabled and elderly are not yet euthanized, those who cannot work--known as "Inferiors"-- are kept as slaves. The time-travelers go to help a bullied boy named Curtis McKinney, who will grow up to become the cause of a massacre. The goal is to change his view of himself, and in turn, his view of others. On the mission, the travelers rescue Curtis' classmate with autism, Lucy, and former slaves who will play a prominent role in society.

Long story short, I'm in college and don't have much time for self-editing this novel. I'm looking for beta readers and final eyes editors to help me out. I'm looking for grammar, style, consistency, tone, and developmental suggestions. Basically, the more in depth you get, the better.

Unfortunately, I also don't have time for novel swaps. If anyone is willing to help, I would so appreciate it.

Wow. You might want to read the stickies; generally beta readers deal with polished work. Asking other people to edit your work because you can't be arsed (how that reads even if not quite how you meant it), isn't likely to go over very well.

Also, in general, you probably want to identify your work as Christian, not just dystopian, as it's specific.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Just a penny's worth - I'm a mum of two, holding down a full time job, writing and editing four novels, dealing with short story requests and I have a tenth of the time available now as when I was at college... Sadly, if I beta I expect at least the offer of reciprocity. I might not always take it up - I beta for a few I don't always ask a return from and am significantly in debt to others - but it's part of writing to learn the editing proces..

I wish you all the luck in the world, but think you might need to find the time if you're really serious about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.