• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas and Authors: Share Your Good Experiences

Paula

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! This is the first time I heard of beta readers. I mean, a couple of people read my book, but it was mainly for proofreading and revising. They both enjoyed it and said there was a good market for it. But today, when I posted asking for help defining the exact genre, a fellow writer suggested I tried beta readers, because they might help me understand if what I wrote is more Urban Fantasy or Paranormal. When you work with beta writers that you don't know in person, how do you choose them? I share Cassia Dean's feelings about my work, Im very private about my writing. But I guess beta readers could in fact give me some help... Where would you advise me to look for them, what are the dos and donts of getting beta readers? (also, should I look for beta readers only of Paranormal an Fantasy)?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! This is the first time I heard of beta readers. I mean, a couple of people read my book, but it was mainly for proofreading and revising. They both enjoyed it and said there was a good market for it. But today, when I posted asking for help defining the exact genre, a fellow writer suggested I tried beta readers, because they might help me understand if what I wrote is more Urban Fantasy or Paranormal. When you work with beta writers that you don't know in person, how do you choose them? I share Cassia Dean's feelings about my work, Im very private about my writing. But I guess beta readers could in fact give me some help... Where would you advise me to look for them, what are the dos and donts of getting beta readers? (also, should I look for beta readers only of Paranormal an Fantasy)?

You want beta readers who can give you the kind of feedback you are specifically looking for. This usually means readers who have some experience in your genre. And it means you need clear communication on both sides and, preferably, demonstrated compatibility between author and beta reader. So:

Give readers a chance to have a look at the first chapter or so of your book to see if it's the type of work they could happily read all the way through. Most people don't mind taking an hour or so to read a small piece and provide feedback, but they are probably less willing to commit to an entire novel sight unseen just in case it turns out to have a style or storyline they just can't stand. And you want to make sure that the reader can provide feedback you can use.

Let readers know what kind of critique you want: hard and brutal, or soft and fluffy? Line-edits looking for spelling errors and errant punctuation, or fact-checking, or an overall pacing/structural assessment? Do you want readers to tell you only what they liked, or only what they didn't like, or both? Do you want them to tell you what they think you could do to fix a problem, or just to point out the problems and let you figure out how to fix them?

Let readers know what kind of timeline you're on. Do you need feedback this week, this month, or this year?

Let readers know what kind of relationship you expect. Do you want them to go back and forth with you discussing a plot point, or just send you the critique and have no further input/discussion?

Let readers know what they might get in return for volunteering tens or maybe hundreds of hours of their time. You will, of course, thank them for their efforts (whether you agree with their critique or not). But are you offering quid pro quo? Cookies? A mention in the acknowledgements when the book is published? Waves of good karma? Naming your firstborn after them? Rep points? Your undying gratitude? There's no right or wrong answer; it's unique to each author/beta pair.

The easiest way to find betas is probably to spend a bit of time in Share Your Work, the critique subforum on AW. You can critique other people's work and get your post count up to 50 while people get to know you. Then you can post your first scene or chapter and ask for people to critique it, and let them know you're looking for beta readers for the whole novel.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As per the title of the thread: I've just finished beta-reading the first 6 chapters of a WIP for barnhijl, and it was a very rewarding experience. It's really great to work with an author who is committed to her craft, willing to share and discuss her ideas about alternate plot twists and story arcs, and sends such lovely thank-you notes :)

CatherineHall

Writer and Visual Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theelephantinthetemple.blogspot.com
Hey all,

Tell me about your good beta experiences. ?

This is such a pleasant thread:hooray:...I really enjoyed reading all the positive experiences people have had with beta reading... I've commented on SYW threads and have enjoyed the opportunity to contribute to the creative processes of others. Again, though, I just think it's great to have a thread that highlights the positive experiences with beta reading. I haven't had a beta experience yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll wait until I've gotten to know the community more...

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was very put off from a beta experience so I never wanted to do it again but snooped around in here and found a request from an AWer that I like (don't really KNOW but like their friendliness and junk). Plus her subject matter was my genre. So, I took a chance and told her I would read/help. To my delight, her writing is very similar to my own (i.e. brilliant) and it was a pleasure to help (it did not need much).

I think the lesson I learned is that you have to be familiar with who you are beta-ing for (n00b or seasoned AW vet) and if the genre fits you. I'd definitely beta for her again. :)

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just done a very pleasurable beta-read of undercover's YA novel. She was fast, responsive, patient with my nitpicks about every single comma and run-on sentence, beyond-patient with my thousands and thousands of words of notes and suggestions, plus she gave very me helpful feedback about my critique style -- and I got to read a good book for free! Me, for the win! :D

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
I was directed to this thread by a very smart (and helpful) lady on AW. I've enjoyed reading about all the experiences and though it's a bit scary, I believe I could use a beta reader to get a new perspective on my WIP/nearly finished novel. I am also happy to read for them in return, though I must admit, I don'tread much fiction. I mostly read narrative non-fiction for pleasure. Please let me know if anyone would like to give mine a try!

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized I've never bragged about my beta reader before. We actually beta for each other and I found her through AW. She's extraordinary and thanks to her my first ever completed manuscript has been accepted by the first publisher I've submitted to. I'm 100% sure I couldn't have done it without her. Proof that you can find your writing soulmate, so to speak, through a website :D

Stephanie Witter

Registered
Reaction score
I had two beta readers for a young-adult novel and now I've got three on my new-adult novel.

I'm going to talk about the current beta readers on my latest story because we're only half-way through with it.
So far for me it is wonderful to work with them. English is not my mother tongue and I need them to point out when the slang doesn't really sound american and I can't do it all by myself. Also, it helps to have people looking for plot holes, telling you if your characters sound true and not cliché but they also give me the little boost I often need at some point when I'm starting to doubt about myself and my story.

Beta readers are here to help when you already read your story so many times that you can't be objective anymore but they are also people you can trust to tell you if a scene sucks - I'm currently trying to rewrite one and I'm still struggling - or if it's working.

Writing is not a lonely journey. Well, for me it's not.

I also beta read in english and in french and I love it. Not only it's wonderful to be a part of a book's creation, but it's also amazing to be able to have such close contact with an author. Discovering a story before anyone else is fun for an avid reader like I am.

Sheluvspink

IA-Romance Editing at 84,000k
Registered
Reaction score
I have a wonderful beta outside of AW who is more like an editor since she especially goes after my terrible grammer. She's blunt and a writer as well. Don't know what I'd do without her.

I just swapped with two other members here and their take on my WIP was refreshing and extremly helpful. I hope my critique on their work was insightful as well. It's nothing like having someone with no personal bias towards you tell you exactly what they think. Beta's are the best!

Reaction score
Website
www.travis-lee.org
I just wanted to get on here and talk about my good experience with my most recent beta. She read over the first two chapters of a novella I wrote (over a year ago, that hasn't been seen by anyone), and she did a really good job in spotting its flaws.

Great work, and I know she has made my story stronger.

Lisagh

Registered
Reaction score
Beta reading Bliss

I'm having a wonderful time beta reading, and I'm getting my own work beta'ed in return. I've learned a lot, and while I'm new at it, I'm catching on. It's a great experience, and I'm not in the least bit turned off by it yet.

Right now I'm beta reading a memoir, and a fantasy novel. Loving both to pieces. One of the fantasy novels I just finished beta reading is now an e-book! =D

I hope to start beta reading a romance soon if the author is able to get it sent to my finicky email without the poor thing bouncing back. :)

All in all, this has been a terrific experience for me!

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I had someone beta read a short story of mine. He did an *amazing* job, offering tremendous insights. Then he offered to beta a novel and also did an amazing job. So lucky!

He was working on his own stuff and asked me to read it. I wasn't a huge fan. There were some things that didn't make sense + a ton of really boring exposition + some other beginner mistakes. I pointed them out and, rather than freak out (as I'm used to), he took the advise to heart and created another draft.

It still wasn't great, but it was better. I pointed out the issues I saw again...

Another draft. Better, but still not perfect.

Then suddenly, it was like the switch had turned on. The novel was *good*. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but it was amazing! (And it was awesome to think that I helped in the process in some way.)

Serene09

Registered
Reaction score
Love my Betas so far

Since I've joined AW, I've had a few betas for my stories and they've been great. They saw things that I skipped over in a hurry to get my story into words. They picked up on everything they could and I loved it.
I've also beta'd for a few persons. Had fun :)

Amy Jay

Registered
Reaction score
I've had some experiences where we've swapped manuscripts and critiques but neither of us has wanted to continue a relationship, but I've also made some of my very best writer friends this way. I like how each person critiques in a different style; it's helped me consider things to add to my own critiques that I wouldn't normally thing of.

Amy Jay

Registered
Reaction score
I also have to say that beta-ing gives me more sympathy for agents. So many times I've read a premise that sounds great, only to to be disappointed in the execution.

Then again, sometimes I've read things for a friend that wouldn't normally have caught my interest, and I've been thrilled with the manuscript.

Angyl78

Registered
Reaction score
I just got done reading the critiques from my two beta readers, one from AW and one not AW. I greatly appreciated the critiques and was pleasantly surprised that there were some pages where I did well. After taking all the suggestions into consideration, I think I have another chapter to add to the book. I can't wait to have it finished.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember if I posted here several years ago when I beta read/had beta readers, but here's my good experience:

I had three betas. I beta read for two of them but the third didn't have anything ready at the time. All three gave me helpful insightful critiques that were greatly appreciated. The MS remains unpublished; partly because I never queried it, but mostly because I realized it would never go anywhere. I have since started anew novel and I'm ready to seek beta readers. I learned so much about writing from my previous betas and would highly reccomend giving it a try to anyone. We'll see how I feel after the next round? ;)

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I had quite a few betas reading/edit my novel for me, and one of them was absolutely fantastic. They were all very helpful for me and told me what I needed to work on. Now with my writings I automatically write it that way rather than having to edit it later on.

I also use several betas for short story submissions and they've all be really great too. But they are all from facebook so this may be the first time I've ever talked about betas outside of facebook.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I just wanted to say thank you to two lovely women who beta'd my novel for me recently. Not only did they do a super fantastic job, they provided exactly what I need to fix a couple of the places in the plot I needed to fix. Yes!

I have also gotten to read their work and have truly enjoyed experiencing their writing.

So thank you to Absolute Write and to the two intrepid betas. I appreciate the help.

Jen

Jeffyo

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Beta Bulletin Board

I'm an author who had a very good experience with beta readers. So good that I put together a bulletin board, www.betareader.us, for readers and authors. There are over 400 beta readers on the board willing and ready to go. What we need is more authors to know about the board, so came here to the granddaddy of author bulletin boards, trying to spread the word.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
I went to this beta reader site, and just to mention it, it comes up to deep six publishing, which seems based in India. I have always heard that India is one of the biggest sources of pirated books, so unfortunately, unless someone can prove to me this is safe, I wouldn't be able to trust sending my novel to a beta reader in India...this may just be paranoia on my part, but having read about other ebooks pirated there, and the efforts of the authors to get it stopped, that did it for me...Please let me know if I have somehow misread this info?

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I went to this beta reader site, and just to mention it, it comes up to deep six publishing, which seems based in India. I have always heard that India is one of the biggest sources of pirated books, so unfortunately, unless someone can prove to me this is safe, I wouldn't be able to trust sending my novel to a beta reader in India...this may just be paranoia on my part, but having read about other ebooks pirated there, and the efforts of the authors to get it stopped, that did it for me...Please let me know if I have somehow misread this info?

There's a thread in Bewares that discusses Deep Six Publishing...
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260455

AllenC

Registered
Reaction score
My betas are the best. Thanks to them I am accomplishing this sweet dream of finishing a book. And it gets better, I've also had the chance to read great books that haven't been published yet, and for free, and having a say on the story. What else could I possibly ask for? Swapping changed my author's life, and AW is how I got to it.