Last Game you have played...

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the game only once, as Spain. I usually consider it a win if i full-fill all the victory condition and consider my position stable. I usually manage that around year 50, and abandon the game instead of playing the remaining 100 turns. Rome:TW was better that way, you won when you full-filled all victory conditions and not at the end of a fixed number of turns (though you could keep playing)

Austria's Line Infantry are pretty much the worst of all, despite them having 150 instead of 120 per unit. Prussia has the best, (didn't really save my ass though if every single neighbour wants to kill me) England is a little better than France (since reload is generally better than accuracy) and Spain and other nations with generic unit values are only a little better than Austria.

Scylding

Registered
Reaction score
Last game I played was the original Assassin's Creed. I'm not sure it has a point beyond taking flying headbutts through crowds of women carrying pots on their heads. I mean, I think it thinks it does, but I got the most fun out of making an ass out of myself. What else is new. ;)

Looking forward to Red Dead Redemption (yes, I know, I'm behind the times), which I will probably take more seriously. Really looking forward to Deus Ex 3, which I will take more seriously than is probably healthy.

- Joe

Last edited:

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
Technically the last game I played was Mega Poker on my iPhone. The REAL last game was Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood about 2-3 weeks ago. I love the multiplayer in that game, but I had to move apartments and haven't gotten to hook it back up yet.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the game only once, as Spain. I usually consider it a win if i full-fill all the victory condition and consider my position stable. I usually manage that around year 50, and abandon the game instead of playing the remaining 100 turns. Rome:TW was better that way, you won when you full-filled all victory conditions and not at the end of a fixed number of turns (though you could keep playing)

Austria's Line Infantry are pretty much the worst of all, despite them having 150 instead of 120 per unit. Prussia has the best, (didn't really save my ass though if every single neighbour wants to kill me) England is a little better than France (since reload is generally better than accuracy) and Spain and other nations with generic unit values are only a little better than Austria.

Oh Happy Austria! I think maybe the French start the game with an experienced army or something. Or maybe I hadn't learned to entrench. As an Austrian or an Ottoman, digging in with Artillery seems pretty important.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Happy Austria! I think maybe the French start the game with an experienced army or something.
Hm, i think all nations start without any experience points, but even seemingly identical units have different values in some cases. The French get a little more accuracy than standard for most units (land and naval) for example, the English get a bit faster reload times. Meelee values are similarly different.
Or maybe I hadn't learned to entrench. As an Austrian or an Ottoman, digging in with Artillery seems pretty important.
Fortifying is something of a mixed blessing. On the one hand, those few sandbags will provide excellent protection against counterfire from artillery and are absolutely indestructible (as are fences and walls if you're on a battle map with fields), so it's very good for an artillery duel. On the other hand the field of fire is limited and the guns are immobile, so they're rather vulnerable to flank attacks.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, i think all nations start without any experience points, but even seemingly identical units have different values in some cases. The French get a little more accuracy than standard for most units (land and naval) for example, the English get a bit faster reload times. Meelee values are similarly different.
Fortifying is something of a mixed blessing. On the one hand, those few sandbags will provide excellent protection against counterfire from artillery and are absolutely indestructible (as are fences and walls if you're on a battle map with fields), so it's very good for an artillery duel. On the other hand the field of fire is limited and the guns are immobile, so they're rather vulnerable to flank attacks.

You can dig in your infantry too. Unfortunately I don't remember all that much about the game. I do remember a snowy day with my Austrians dug in and finally defeating the French.

Oh but those far off snowy days are long gone. I'm facing some of my usual major defeats from my usual PBEM opponents in a muddy Russian Spring and in the tropical South Pacific.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh but those far off snowy days are long gone. I'm facing some of my usual major defeats from my usual PBEM opponents in a muddy Russian Spring and in the tropical South Pacific.
If you like PBEM strategy games, you should definitly check out Dominions 3. Best turn based strategy game i've ever known, the sheer amount of possibilities and depth of gameplay is beyond amazing. I think there's a demo available.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
If you like PBEM strategy games, you should definitly check out Dominions 3. Best turn based strategy game i've ever known, the sheer amount of possibilities and depth of gameplay is beyond amazing. I think there's a demo available.

I think I was already crushed in the beta for Dominons (1?). It had zombies, I think. Good game. Bad associations. I think I had one whole army killed and zombied against me. I quit. Or surrendered or surrendered and quit.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score

Fortify only if you have a strong defensive position. In order to protect the artillery place them right in the middle of your army and drag the line infantry slightly forwards so that they protect the flanks. Use light infantry just behind them but make sure they're not in the line of fire of the artillery or else the canister shot will rip them to shreds.

Otherwise, canister shot in ETW is quite effective.
Not as much as NTW. Round shot is much more effective in NTW.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
There's a new version on the way:
I know and I'm really looking forward to this.Crusader Kings has such a unique concept (following a family instead of a country) but it has a lot of flaws as well. The biggest one being that there is hardly anything to do but waiting whatevents will happen.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I know and I'm really looking forward to this.Crusader Kings has such a unique concept (following a family instead of a country) but it has a lot of flaws as well. The biggest one being that there is hardly anything to do but waiting whatevents will happen.

It gets mentioned on the Wargamer Forums from time to time. I'm a pretty hyperactive gamer and Medieval total War 2 is about as much waiting as I can usually manage. I have trouble sitting still in a virtual reality. This can be a real problem when (say in a Red Orchestra Mod) a lot of other players are sitting still with their sniper rifles ready and zeroed on the one spot where you can get over the rubble. I can recall how I used to have to learn all the sniper spots so that I could get to town in a hurry -- literally something like: run up behind wall, jump on rubble, rest M1 on wall, shoot sniper at window A (an easy shot luckily), run to shrub, duck, shoot sniper hiding under the truck, cross street, go upstairs, shoot sniper at window B down the street, duck, change windows, shoot sniper behind that wall thing at the middle of town and then run downtown and get killed.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think I was already crushed in the beta for Dominons (1?). It had zombies, I think. Good game. Bad associations. I think I had one whole army killed and zombied against me. I quit. Or surrendered or surrendered and quit.
Ah, the multiplayer Dominions games are brutal. You should train in single player first, until you can easily beat a full roster of AIs on impossible, so you can then go on to multiplayer and get your ass handed to you within a few rounds.
Seriously though, i do recommend reading some of the excellent national guides available in the forums. Once one is familiar with the basic gameplay (thugs, supercombatants and forging) one can go an join one of the newbie games in the mulitplayer forum to get a feel for how different fighting a human is to fighting an AI. It's not just the diplomacy (there is none in SP), as impressive as the AI is for a game with such a scope, it's still very troop centric. But a player with some experience with the hundreds of spells and magic items can usually come up with counter to defeat any number of unaugmented troops. (Although with the impossible AI setting, winning battles with a 10:1 kill ratio can still mean you lose)
I looked it up, and there actually is demo available for download here:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/DOM3/DOM3_page.html

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I just went back and finished playing Red Dead Redemption. It's actually a lot better than I originally gave it credit for. Beautiful graphics, great voice acting, great lead character (John Marston), pretty good story.

As far as 2010 games go, I still liked ME2 better, but RDR was a pretty close second. Liked it even better than Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Even though I hate zombie-related trip (seems every game these days is about zombies...like every new book and TV show is about vampires), I'm about to start the "Undead" DLC for RDR. I hear it's pretty good.

Droemar

Writer's Heart, Editor's Mouth
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! I just beat Red Dead about three months back! Last game I finished was Dragon Age: Origins, but I also beat both Left for Deads with a friend.
I have Assassin's Creed (the first one) ready to play, and Uncharted.
Can't wait for Pokemon Black and white ... but I'm shameless.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Been playing Dragon Age 2. Love it. I didn't play the first one yet; actually just ordered it today.

I'm having a ton of fun with it. Absolutely love the party banter/dialogue. I don't even remember what kept me from buying the first one but I am so glad I gave the demo a shot, then got the game. I've been in the mood for a new game and this is delivering in spades.

I just hit the second act, so getting ready to do the second round of companion quests. Playing as a mage and currently romancing Anders. What can I say, I like the tortured ones. Yes, I also like Fenris even though he's a jerk. I greatly enjoy having him in my party so I can laugh at Varric making fun of him being broody all the time. XD

Ludicrum

Registered
Reaction score
Last game beaten: Dragon Age 2 (before that, Two Worlds 2)

Last game played: Homefront

-Epic-

Nevermore
Registered
Reaction score
Recently I've been playing Super Mario Sunshine (again) and Pokémon Black version. I gave my DS to my brother though, so I'll just be playing Mario until the 3DS comes out.