Status
Not open for further replies.

sperrynluv

Bundle up. It's cold out there.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
comeoutwhenyourehappy.blogspot.com
Want your first page critiqued by a national editor? Submit your double-spaced, 12 point font, first manuscript page to [email protected] with First Page Friday in the subject line. Ms. Shreditor and Angela Eschler critique every Friday. (Please no swearing or explicit sex scenes).

Check out http://ldswritermom.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-page-friday_09.html to see what the critiques look like.

This blog is run by a friend of mine and she's worried she'll have to stop doing First Page Friday due to lack of interest. So I decided to spread the word to keep First Page Fridays alive. Both editors are extremely knowledgeable and give detailed feedback. (Ms. Shreditor critiques every week except for the last week. Angela Eschler covers the last Friday.) I've learned as much from reading other people's pages as from my own critiques. Check out her blog and then send in your first pages!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm scheduled for Friday. Thanks again for the lead.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Do they critique all genres? I have some works for younger readers I could submit, but nothing for adults.

sperrynluv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do they critique all genres? I have some works for younger readers I could submit, but nothing for adults.

I've seen adult, YA, and Middle grade so I don't think there would be a problem. Just let Julie know what genre you're going for when you submit it. The editors she uses are extremely thorough so they'll need to know who your audience is. Good luck!

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Subbed mine yesterday. It'll be so interesting to see what they say if they critique it.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with my critique, and encourage others to give it a try.

sperrynluv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm very pleased with my critique, and encourage others to give it a try.

Ms. Shreditor is great, isn't she? I love how she manages to make you feel brilliant while pointing out every tiny flaw she finds.

Keep checking the blog. Other people will pop in and add to the critique in the comments. You won't get a line by line like SYW on this forum but you will get a few tidbits to consider.

Thanks to all who have submitted. It looks like Julie won't have to give up on First Page Friday after all. :) She said she's been getting a lot of submissions. I told her to let me know if submissions get low again so I can bump this thread. It's not often you get a chance to get a critique from a national editor. This really is a fantastic opportunity.

sperrynluv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm bumping this because Julie is running out of submissions again. Send in your first page for a professional (free) critique of your work. No strings attached. This is a great opportunity!

OC-138

Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted the first page of my story. Really good thing you got going here!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
No swearing? *sigh* I don't know if I have a first page without swearing on it. lol This looks interesting though, thanks for the heads up.

Jericho McKraven

Registered
Reaction score
Just emailed my first page. I'm glad too, because I was having a bit of trouble editing that first paragraph.

OC-138

Registered
Reaction score
how long is the turn around on these anyway?

sperrynluv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiwrite - She has a no swearing policy so her blog doesn't get blocked by filters. I've seen entries that *** out their swearing.

OC-138 - It depends on how many entries she has at the time. I put this notice up because she only had a few left. You could email her and ask.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! 1st page of WIP waiting to be edited is fairly stinky. I'll send it in for this nice lady's crit once I've given it a go-over.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed mine after the initial post, and I think it took about two months for her to get to it. The comments were helpful.

Henksbird

Let us be thankful for the fools
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sperryn. Just submitted mine. Is Julie still doing this, though? Last entry looks to be from March...

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that while I am skeptical of a first page critique and how valuable it would be, I just visited the linked page with the 1st page critique and have to say she hit that one right on the head.

Bravo...

Status
Not open for further replies.