The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Purgies!

(((Sunna))) for being a pincushion. Good luck with the sewing!

(((Tas))) I hope 2012 picks up, and 2013 is much better for you.

(((Dragonstar))) for the itchies. Hope the Benadryl works.

Sammy - good luck!

Suki - good luck on the revisions and the dreaded synopsis.

Awesome, KT!

I would hardly say 10 books could be called "self-perpetuating." You have to write those 10 books first! And that's the tricky part! So WTG -- you are nearly there.
+1! Way to go, KT!

I've got a financial screw-up with my grocery store, which mistakenly overcharged me for chicken. ($131!)
I'd like to see the size of that chicken.

Woke up an HOUR late this morning...so daughter was 5 min late to school (she was not pleased with me) and I was 30 min late to work...
So that means you can actually sleep in an extra 30 minutes each morning, right?

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

amarie, like fire said, trousers for pants
still. in fact, i think pants mean underpants, right?
so a bit of a faux pas.

they also said napkin means feminine
napkin, so don't say can i have a napkin
at the restaurant. (i might be wrong on this
one?)

but fanny definitely means vag1na.
and we haven't even gotten to COCKNEY SLANG
yet! hah

huggles to tas!!

this year wasn't as bad as 2011 was
for me, personally. but perhaps not
great career wise? we'll see.

suki, that's fantastic! good luck on the
dreaded synopsis. eep!

KT, congrats on another release!

cindy, not awake enough to tackle virgins yet

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, the manager in my "new" department sent out the email about my allergy and the products people can't have... Today, one of the employees comes in with mentholated lip gloss for her cold.

*headdesk*

People are effing stupid.

Luckily, it doesn't seem strong enough to carry over, but I was supposed to train with this chick today and now I can't.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Uughhh yea I get the impression from that article that the agent was al " ugh there a BIG bad publisher! How dare they demand $$$$$ back from my author who never delivered!!!!"

That stinks Niy. I hope the rest of your day goes better.

((Tas))) I share some people do not get how bad n horrible allergies can be unless they have them. I hope she's learned.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Tas)))

I slept awful last night, so day is draaaaagging.

I read The H0bbit when I was nine, and followed with L0TR right after that. Took me awhile to get through it with a dictionary nearby, but I loved it more than anything. Kept reading adult books at that point. Also loved RL Stine G00sebumps and F3ar Str33t series along with many of the classics. Our first grade teacher used to read us Shakespeare for kids. A weird version...with pictures. "Out damn spot" still makes me uneasy.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Afternoon all!

I'm with Snappy, feeling better, but slept awful, so I'm still feeling like someone clubbed me in the head. Ugh. Having some coffee to maybe try and knock out that headache.

Repped a bit, but it looks like many hugs are in order. :e2grouphu Purgatory. Hope everyone's funk days shove off soon and there will be all the productivity and happy things to report.

Started teaching this week and as always with teaching comes the second-guessing and self-doubts. About ALL the things. But it's also going pretty well, so eh. We'll see.

Hope everyone's Wednesday is picking up.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Flying by to say that on my list of thankful things, my purgies are near the top. Had a pity party this morning when the tire went flat on my truck -- 2 months old, can't be fixed -- and then decided I have so much to the thankful for, what right do I have to feel sorry for myself? So I thought of Haupe and made a list. And I love you guys. :)

Also, I'm supposed to be writing an article, and must run, but HAVE to tell you:

Took kiddo to B&N night last night, and guess what I found in the YA section? The WHOLE Fl0wers in the @ttic series, repackaged and marketed to teenagers. Jeebus! I mean, I read those books in high school, but you weren't "supposed" to! Murder, child abuse, incest ... gah! WTF?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
F1owers in the Att1c was always YA, wasn't it? Trashy YA, sure, but it's about teens and read exclusively by teens. The only one I read was My Sweet Audrina and it was not my cup of tea. But I sure remember it.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
F1owers in the Att1c was always YA, wasn't it? Trashy YA, sure, but it's about teens and read exclusively by teens. The only one I read was My Sweet Audrina and it was not my cup of tea. But I sure remember it.

Nah, it was originally published as adult fiction. But a lot of teens read it.

Hugs for the sleep issues, Snappy and Dystophil.

Hugs for the tire, Lwalker, but yay for realizing you overall have it pretty good. ;)

I am having a :Headbang: day, but on the brightside, that makes going home to write a synopsis look appealing.

~suki

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
Morning Purgies...

Woke up an HOUR late this morning...so daughter was 5 min late to school (she was not pleased with me) and I was 30 min late to work... Great way to start my day, right?

Hang on, hang on. How early are you getting up?! If I overslept by an hour I would be automatically half an hour late, plus getting up time.

Strangely enough, I've always loved kids and YA books more than adults, my mum had to kind of push me onto reading the older stuff regularly. I always got through them easily and enjoyed them (classics om nom nom) but something about kids has always taken my fancy like no other genre.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it was originally published as adult fiction. But a lot of teens read it.

~suki

This. I can't imagine the uproar that child abuse and incest as actual, marketed-as-such "teen fiction" would have gotten back then. I'm sort of surprised it's not, now. But maybe I'm out of touch. :)

I read Audrina, too. It was weird. I'm still not sure I fully understand the point of that book.

(((suki)))) for the headbanging. :)

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
thank you for popping in with the update.
do you mean YOUR publisher had pubbed author
friend in russia without her knowledge?!
Yes, that's what she said! Appalling, isn't it?

And yes, napkins aren't what they say in restaurants; it's serviette.
(((Blue))) You deserve a weekend away with the girls!
I must be feeling better, because I had a bit of giggle about the way you phrased it. As if I was heading off for a weekend with my breasts. :D

And yay again for this next stage of your publishing journey. It's all exciting. I don't think it's ho hum to anyone in here.

KT, HAPPY BOOK RELEASE DAY!!!

Lil, I swear your avi happiness quotient seems to increase each time you post a new one. I feel as if they are reflecting your life these days.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FILIGREE!!! :partyguy:

(((Tas)))

(((Snappy)))

(((Niyrak)))

Hi suki! Best of luck!

I confess, I loved all my reps and hugs. They do help. But I am further heartened by the call I made to pub today (because I'm on a mission!). I spoke with the AP woman, who really is very nice and certainly caught in the middle. Instead of mailing check today, she took it with her yesterday and went to the post office on her way home, so I feel sure I will have it by tomorrow.

And this morning I had a client phone appointment, which went far better than expected. She is in Italy and wants to establish an online business there, and I was really concerned that I wouldn't have the knowledge to be of any use to her. By the time we finished the call, she was thanking me effusively for helping her and booking another hour for next week!

Yes, what a difference a day makes. :D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yay Blue! I anticipate a woo-hoo post tomorrow when your check arrives.

So, I need to go play the lottery: When Mr. Lily installed a legit copy of Office 2007 on my laptop (Don't trust people, gang. Just don't. :(), my Outlook would receive email, but not send. I girded my loins and opened a chat window with tech support. They walked me through the problem and fixed it. :e2thud:

Also: I can has copyedits! They are much lighter than previous books. This could be because it's my final book with them, but I think my wonderful, anal-retentive copyeditor isn't like that. He'd said that this book was the best so far :heart: and that edits would be light.

"Light" for him is 10 pages instead of 20. :tongue

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
wonderful news, blue!

i'm not even remotely ready for Sirens.
still need to add a few notes to my talk and pack!
ack!

won't be posting much until i get back
on monday!

/bootay shake!

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Hang on, hang on. How early are you getting up?! If I overslept by an hour I would be automatically half an hour late, plus getting up time.

... I typically wake up around 4 am (not by choice, I'm a bit of an insomniac.) but last night I couldn't fall asleep and was up till almost 3 or 4 ...

I have to be moving by around 6 to get 7 yr old in shower and kick daughter awake... then I shower and am out the door by 7... today I didn't get up till 7, so everything was off... but it worked out ok.

Bossman didn't gripe and actually left early so I had a peaceful day at work... aside from the sneezing and itchy face due to draftsman wearing clothes washed in G@in... hoping he changes detergents so I can breathe during the day...I had to shower when I got home just to get the taste out of my mouth...

Have a bit of a WooHoo today. I met with and got signed release forms from 2 of the guys that are going to be on the cover of book 2. :D Their mom's are excited lol

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Evening Purgies!

(((Tas))) I hope STUPID remembers tomorrow.

(((Snappy))) (((Dys))) and (((NIYRAK))) for the sleep issues. I hope you get some rest.

(((LynDee))) for the flat tire, but Yay! for the bright outlook on life!

(((Suki))) for the wall banging day. Good luck with the synopsis.

(((Blue))) Hugs again (too funny about the girls). Fingers crossed that - the mailman delivers!

Lily - Yay! for copyedits!

NIYRAK - WOOHOO! for the release forms for Book 2 cover!

As for me, I just sent in my Author Questionnaire - 4 pages of questions. I decided to lighten it up a bit toward the end, wondering how many dry Author Questionnaires these guys go through, and I've pasted a couple of the questions and my answers below:

How and why did you start working on this book?
1) I had a Sci Fi story rolling around in my head for 20 years, which I thought would make a great book.
2) I figured my odds of getting published were worse than a snowball’s chance in Hell, so I didn’t try for over 20 years. (I’m a hard Science / Engineering type, with no training or experience writing.)
3) At my 20th year high school reunion, our class advisor stood up at the end of the night and asked a simple, yet profound question – “What would you do if you weren’t afraid?” The answer that jumped to my mind was - write that damn book. So I resolved that moment to write it.
4) It sucked. (It was a Sci Fi story I loved, but no one else did. No agent asked for even a partial.)
5) I found out I liked writing, so I decided to give it another try. Following the adage “Either write what you love, or what you know,” I tried “what I know” for the second book, and came up with The TRIDENT D3c3ption.

What kind of experience has writing your book been for you (fun, exciting, agonizing…)?
- Just shoot me now, and get it over with.
- Writing has been an unexpectedly emotional and agonizing experience, one that I would have abandoned if I wasn’t committed to seeing it through to the bitter end. Thankfully, this journey has a happy ending.
- It’s fun in that I really enjoy creating something from nothing. I thought I didn’t have a creative bone in my body, but apparently I have creative cartilage.

Tell us anything about you as a working writer that you think might be interesting or unusual:
- Writing the first draft is like pulling teeth
- I enjoy revising; I’m like a pig in slop (literally)

Did you have any interesting experiences where you were researching your book, or getting it published?
- I can’t think though the pain.

What do you feel is the market for your book?
- Submarine Novel fans (there are a lot of folks who will buy it simply because it’s about submarines)
- Active and veteran Military
- Anti-Nuke groups
- My family, friends, and co-workers.
- Your friends and family

Please list current books or works in progress that you know of, which might compete with your book for public attention:
- My next book (sorry, I’m a literary noob, and have no idea)

Anyway, those are the questions where I livened things up a bit. I probably should have been Mr. Serious when answering the entire questionnaire, but I've been wrapped so tight the last 2 years, trying to get an agent and then a sale that I decided - if I'm going to make a partial living at this, I'm fecking going to have fun doing it.

Nite, Nite, Purgies!

Last edited:

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
I'm late with this, but Happy Birthday, Filigree!
confetti.gif

Blue, glad to hear some good news!

Lily, yay for copyedits and competent tech support!

Xiao, go get 'em!

ETA: There goes my submission to Harper V0yager. Send vamp dust, everyone!

Last edited:

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Purgies!

Vamp dust and cuisnarted Cullens for Leanan!

It's going to be gridlock in the city again today - Washington National's playoff game 4 this afternoon. I foresee an early departure from work in my future...

Have a great day!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all. Good grief, it was quiet in here yesterday.

Blue, go you!

Leanan, good luck!

Rick, ha! Excellent responses.

I've got nothing.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*rocks back and forth under the desk* I'm going to kill someone today.... Work is providing a free health screening.... I can't have coffee or food until after my appointment.... It's at 10:45.... Don't take coffee away from the coffee junky and don't take food away from the skinny guy with the hyperactive metabolism. *grinds teeth*

In other news two days ago I got an army of ten dog tag and book mark! yay! I've been meaning to take pictures but have been forgetting.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same no food/no caffeine hell as Caleb. However my appointment is at 10:10, so I get to eat half an hour before him. ;)

(It's probably a good thing we're in separate departments, just now)

Hubby finally slept well last night, for the first time in about a week and a half. I think he's finally getting over the shingles. Poor guy has been miserable, even with lidocaine patches and everything.

I had a dream last night were I was offered a 6-book, $600,000 deal. What woke me up was the fact that I was trying to calculate my taxes and such in my sleep, and apparently math and dreaming don't mix. *facepalm*

Status
Not open for further replies.