What comic books are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CynV

The Original Cyn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CynthiaVespia.com
Punisher?

I haven't read anything new in a long while. My favorite was always The Punisher but somewhere along the way they changed artists or writers and it just didn't have the same feel as it used to.

Flutterlight

Registered
Reaction score
I just started Knightfall, and it's awesome. I should have started reading superhero comics a looooooong time ago.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I would never have pegged Knightfall as a "oh wow" story... Then again, I haven't read it in a while.

Currently reading Kid Slade, Marvelman and Captain Magnet comics.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I read Knightfall after coming back from watching the latest Dark Knight movie. In the comic, Bane's plan to bring chaos into Gotham is much simpler and much more convincing. Good stuff.

Flutterlight

Registered
Reaction score
I actually never watched any of the Batman movies. Superhero stuff is very, very new to me. But I'm loving it. After I'm done with Knightfall I'm going to try Watchmen.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
From Hell and Freakangels

FreakAngels is such a good webcomic, I loved going through it.

Reading the Avatar: The Last Airbender follow-on comic 'The Promise' at the moment. The back cover image is a bit daft but the comic itself is taking some interesting, dark directions. Pacing's a bit rushed, though.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
I've been enjoying Echo by Terry Moore. I'm just a couple issues into The Sword by the Luna brothers and am hooked.

I'm not quite done yet with Brian Vaughan's Y: The Last Man but am savoring that. Also read the first volume of Bakuman by Tsugumi Ohba and am keeping my eyes open for the next. All recommended.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading the first Firkin collection. Hilarious, though I keep having the feeling that it isn't a title I should approve of...

SophiaDreith

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of loving the relaunches for the New 52 and Marvel NOW. I'm pretty new to comics and but I went in thinking I would prefer Marvel because I like the Marvel Movies but I found that the DC comics were by far my favorites.

With DC, I'm reading AquaMan, Green Lantern, and Justice League. And with Marvel, I'm sticking pimary to Spider-Man titles, including UC Vol.2 Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, and Scarlett Spider. Incidentally, none of those Spider-Man titles star Peter Parker.

I'm hoping to pick up walking Dead next. :)

Antonbay

Registered
Reaction score
Best things I'm reading at the moment are Bedlam, Masks, Aquaman, All-star western and The Flash. Recently I read the tpb of Choker, which was brilliant.

Wesley Craig Green

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleycraiggreen.com
These three are my favorite comics being published today:

Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips: The love child comic of Elmore Leonard, H.P. Lovecraft, and Mario Bava

Mind Mgmt by Matt Kindt: One of the most innovative, smartest, and unique comics out today. It's about a super secret organization of agents with telekinetic abilities.

Locke and Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez: It's close to ending but there has only been, I think, six 6-issue mini-series which tell one long story. If you're a fan of horror or Joe Hill or Gabriel Rodriguez or just plain great storytelling- then this is for you.

Wesley

Matirin

Registered
Reaction score
I like manga. I've read several times more manga than novels. I usually go to a site like manga reader, and check out the chapters that I've been waiting to be updated. From time to time, I'll choose a relatively short, completed manga to read. I look for specific genres. I like to read the type that have a little bit of school life, martial arts, and the continual growth of the main character. A few good examples would be Goku in Dragon Ball or Naruto.

The manga that I have been waiting to be updated are Naruto, Bleach, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo, Gantz, and Suicide Island. My favorites that I've completed are Holyland, Bremen, Angel Densetsu, and Dragon Ball Z.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I used to read a lot of Vertigo (Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Lucifer, Sandman) about ten years ago, but not much since. I have all of Preacher on my shelves but have never got around to reading it, but I probably should.

I recently got an Amazon voucher and as it's been so long since I read any graphic novels, bought Saga and The Last Man volume 1, plus the first Buffy Season 8.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm kind of at a loss to decide what I what to start with again. I'm considering reading the first volume of Parasyte, and wanting to get some other grittier manga.

I actually have very little experience with American comics. The ones I have read are Alien Vs. Predator by Dark Horse, John Constatine, The Waking, SandMan, I Kill Giants, and Carbongrey.

I'm looking for more slice of life American comics at the moment.:3 If manga has them, surely American comics do.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Payday is here! I've picked up Hawkeye: My Life As A Weapon because I've heard great things about this series.

Not long until Saga Vol 2 comes out in trade paperback. I can't wait!

I'm looking for more slice of life American comics at the moment.:3 If manga has them, surely American comics do.

I'm not very up on slice-of-life comics, but Blankets comes to mind as a possible contender. Autobio comic dealing with first love, gorgeous art.

Locke and Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez: It's close to ending but there has only been, I think, six 6-issue mini-series which tell one long story. If you're a fan of horror or Joe Hill or Gabriel Rodriguez or just plain great storytelling- then this is for you.

Locke and Key has been tempting me for a while now.

Wesley Craig Green

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleycraiggreen.com
I used to read a lot of Vertigo (Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Lucifer, Sandman) about ten years ago, but not much since. I have all of Preacher on my shelves but have never got around to reading it, but I probably should.

I recently got an Amazon voucher and as it's been so long since I read any graphic novels, bought Saga and The Last Man volume 1, plus the first Buffy Season 8.

You HAVE to read Preacher! It is a classic, in my opinion. It's a series begging to be turned into a HBO / Netflix series.

Wesley

Slicklines

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently gone back to reading some 60s Silver Age stuff from Marvel. The writing isn't in and of itself great, but the work from that era is not nearly as jaded and self referential as so much modern work is. I also find it an interesting change of pace to see a hero who isn't (or doesn't have to be) an anti-hero.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Wilderness by Tim Truman. It's a biography of Simon Girty, known as a turncoat who led Indian war-parties allied with the British against the Americans in the War of Independence. Truman does not white-wash Girty, nor does he depict him as a monster either. And Truman's b/w art is astounding, a gorgeous rendering of Indians, long hunters, and the frontier in late 1700s.

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
FreakAngels is such a good webcomic, I loved going through it.

Reading the Avatar: The Last Airbender follow-on comic 'The Promise' at the moment. The back cover image is a bit daft but the comic itself is taking some interesting, dark directions. Pacing's a bit rushed, though.

Wow, they're all downright scary looking...

I've been reading Nobunaga no Chef. Basically a chef from our times get transported back into 16-century Japan. The series explores how food can shape events, and although it feels like a bit of stretch sometimes (good food changing the tides of battles?) it's interesting to see.

jeracoo

Registered
Reaction score
Walking Dead, irredeemable, hellblazer and this weird one about aliens and zombies, can't recall the name

Status
Not open for further replies.