• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Mentor/Beta Reader, YA Scifi/Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, first post and first ever attempt at a novel. So I'm sure you can see that I'm a total noob when it comes to any of this.

Seeking out a mentor/beta reader more than anything. Editing would be amazing too as I'm terrible at describing anything short of a "red brick" or "brown hair".

The first draft is done now and I ran it through MSWord to filter out big mistakes; then printed it off and skimmed through it by hand to make some more changes.

Here's some info that may be helpful:

Length: Approx 68000 words
Genre: Probably YA, Fantasy/Sci-fi
Setting: 22nd century, Canada, west coast. (Im aiming for a world where technology sputtered out and plateau-ed. They have fun toys but nothing too Sci-Fi like warp drives and things like that.)

Really uber short description:
Characters get "marked" by a godess and have to stop a nuclear war, inevitably the main character messes it up and becomes the most hated person in existence (even though it wasn't his fault) and uses his super-power-ish abilities from his "mark" to try and fix everything.

Aiming for it to be a series. I'll probably send out chapter one as it seems to be my weakest chapter and see what people can do with it. Any help would be great :)

Thanks!

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Silly question - if it's a chapter you're worrried about especially and you already know there are areas you're 'terrible' at - would a crit thread not be the first step? I'd be wary about betaing something where the author already knows some of it is far from the mark - 70k words is a big commitment, especially if it's needing editing as well?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Alzarahk!

You might want to go over to the New Members thread and introduce yourself to the community. You'll be welcomed with open arms and given a host of links that will help you navigate this huge forum.

Most online forums are like cocktail parties. Introduce yourself, mingle a bit and get to know your surroundings. Being a beta/mentor is a big time investment, and you're more likely to get results if you participate in the community first.

I hope you like it here at AW!

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Springs2: Very valid points there actually. I'll head over and see if anyone would want to do a critique/help with editing.

Mrsmig: Will do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.