What's your book subject?

EasleyEd

Is this where I report the I'm the father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby?

--E.D. Easley

country-writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.felinexpress.com
I just finished my book proposal to be presented next month. Don't even ask me how long it took to write it. The focus kept changing in the process. The book will allow anyone to be able to successfully trap and socialize stray and feral cats in the United States. Our feral cats are much different from say Turkey, or Israel. For me, feral is over-used. Most of these cats are strays or neglected cats not true ferals. It is about understanding them, reading their behavior and reaching a bond with them.

blazesally

I completed a book on handicapping at the racetrack ... from a woman's point of view. I'm one of the few published women handicappers in the country, and so thought I would put together some of my tricks of the trade. I've been giving out selections and best bets for nearly 10 years now ... and writing this book was easier than I thought. Now I just have to figure out whether I should try and find a publisher, since there isn't such a big interest in horse racing anymore, or self-publish it. The only thing I haven't decided on is a title - I was thinking along the lines of "Bet With The Broad," or "Lady's Secrets."

Blazesally :)

askeladd

Polyglot
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a vocabulary exercise book for high school students preparing for the SAT. I know that there are already a lot of books along those lines, but mine stands out in that in addition to copious exercises, I've incorporated a systematic review of the vocabulary, based upon long-term memory research. The book has grown out of materials I've prepared for my tutoring students.

The hardest part has been coming up with realistic sentences using all these $64 words :) .

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
My current books are, for lack of a better term, about werewolves (though both of them are actually about a wide variety of shapeshifters, a subject that happens to include werewolves). See my book for adult readers and my YA book.

Most of the books I have planned for the future are about folklore of various kinds, though one is about Forteanism.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write spiritual self-help books about the uses of hypnosis, meditation, and general altered state work. This can include including chanelling and healing methods such as Therapeutic Touch.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a creative non-fiction sports book for an increasingly popular sport for which only a dozen books have been written (most all are instructional in nature). So, I believe a true niche exists.

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
blazesally said:
I completed a book on handicapping at the racetrack ... from a woman's point of view. I'm one of the few published women handicappers in the country, and so thought I would put together some of my tricks of the trade. I've been giving out selections and best bets for nearly 10 years now ... and writing this book was easier than I thought. Now I just have to figure out whether I should try and find a publisher, since there isn't such a big interest in horse racing anymore, or self-publish it. The only thing I haven't decided on is a title - I was thinking along the lines of "Bet With The Broad," or "Lady's Secrets."

Blazesally :)

Blazesally,

In my search for an agent, I found one who has written and sold a number of books on poker -- Sheree Bykofsky at http://users.rcn.com/sheree.interport/. Poker is different from horse racing, but maybe she'd be interested in another woman's project in the gambling family. Good luck!

Noddy

Noumea

I'm working on the translation of a domestic violence memoir.
The book was originally published in French and the author (victim) would like to launch it on the English market this year.

It basically tells the story of the living hell she suffered at the hands of her step-father for over 21 years (from the age of 7 until her escape at 28). It also gives a good insight into what goes on inside the victim's mind and offers hope for other victims.

Do any of you happen to know any editors or agents who might be interested in this sort of book?

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Wow, some really intriguing subjects in here. I feel a bit over-awed. :)

My book is travel/memoir. Flying to each of the British Isles. It's slow going though, I'd completely underestimated the amount of time and research needed for each section. I'm in a bit of a panic because at my current rate of work it's going to take 6 years to complete a first draft. :/

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
sylvia...sometimes said:
I'm in a bit of a panic because at my current rate of work it's going to take 6 years to complete a first draft. :/

I'm working on seven years now. I changed a few things yesterday in response to beta reader's input. I think it is done now. :)

I wouldn't worry about how long it takes unless you are trying to beat the bill collector to the bank. Write it how it best flows and you will deliver your best work.

Dantes

aka Greg
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheGospelofFatherJoe.com
Halfway through a narrative nonfiction project about a modern-day prophet. They exist all around us. This one I stumbled across in 2000 when reporting on human trafficking in Thailand. He's a selfless and curmudgeonly priest living in the squatter slums, and performs miracles, i.e. has erected an empire of charity. Agent has submitted project to ten pubs and so far, three rejects, one interest with major rewrites (e.g. from first person to third), six pending.

Most difficult aspect is the research. The subject is cooperating but lives nine thousand miles away from my DC home. To flesh out the narrative I have to travel. It's not something done correctly by phone. ... and so it goes.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Wow, some really intriguing subjects in here. I feel a bit over-awed. :)

My book is travel/memoir. Flying to each of the British Isles. It's slow going though, I'd completely underestimated the amount of time and research needed for each section. I'm in a bit of a panic because at my current rate of work it's going to take 6 years to complete a first draft. :/

Hi Sylvia! I too am writing a travel/memoir, about motorcycling across the US. Told from a total newbies point of view (i.e. whats the difference between a "touring" and "cruising" motorcycle) because thats what I was. 2 years in progress now (took the trip in 2004)

I would think a memoir would not need that much research, unless you are adding in a lot of facts in addition to the memoir part.

Tricksie-ish

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is the story of a respite center for the medically underserved/homeless. Just now interviewing the residents and volunteers.

jwuollife

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently planning a book for children about the paranormal, followed by one about Alternative Therapies. Both subjects are such a part of everyday life nowerdays, but I have not been able to find many books directed at children that are not in the 'Fairies at the bottom of the Garden' genre. Most non-fiction works, are for adults about children.

Fortunately, I've worked in the 'New Age' arena for several years so most of my research has been done, just need to put it all together.
:2angel:

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
my book is just about to be released:) it's creatively self-employed...see the link below:)

Citizen Rob

I'm swell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rummelhudson.com
My book is a memoir about raising a little girl who has a very rare neurological disorder that leaves her unable to speak. Well, that and being sort of a dumbass father who had to get it together in a hurry.

AtomRush

Registered
Reaction score
Historical for me. I find the hardest part is perspective. For example I would love to write a story about Adam Smith but ultimately it would be too dry. One thing I really enjoyed about The Beautiful Mind (movie) is that it was more about John Nash's perspective than his life.

I feel the recent movie Crash is also quite historical in that it shows the character's reaction to tolerance. I often cringe when I hear this word (tolerance) in modern society because the only true path to equality is through respect. Crash shows that theme quite well.

Recently, movies like Son of Sam, Bobby and Chapter 27 (about Lennon's assassin) focus more on the effect of individual character's reaction to the historical events. I think celebrity movies can be effective if you remain honest to their work and their life. Walk the Line and Ray come to mind.

Franz

Registered
Reaction score
My book is about the Cold War. Particularly about the North Atlantic extension to the DEW line. The DEW line was a line of radar sites, as well as Niki Missile sites, across northern USA and Canada. They were installed coast to coast. Their purpose was to detect Soviet bombers that might be launching an attack on the USA from the north , (over the north pole). The DEW line extension ran from Newfoundland east to the Azores and was patroled by the Navy. There were four destroyers equipped with radar gear, and strung out about 250 miles apart in a line. The Navy flew patrol aircraft around the clock in a track around the ships. It was about a 13 hour flight round trip. There were four planes in the air 24/7 for over two years. On Feb.28, 1958 one of those planes disappeared without any warning, and no trace was ever found. Twenty two crew members were lost. My uncle was the radio man on that flight. The planes were Lockheed Super Constallations and were called Willie Victors (WV-2), and they were also equipped with radar gear. As well as trying to detect Soviet bombers, they were also looking for Soviet subs, ala "Red October."

Timinator

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.timothytrimble.com
My most recent book is "FileMaker Pro Design & Scripting for Dummies". It was quite an interesting experience. Not only did I get to write about a technical subject but I got to add some humor along the way.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
Hi everyone i'm a newbie. There are hopefully going to be some fascinating topics to soon be on the shelves. What interesting topics. I am currently writing a non-fiction piece 'For the love of Hannah.' It is a true and very personal book about life trying to blend families together after seperation and divorce. It shows how a child can become caught in the crossfire of feuding parents or one parent needing to dominate and control the other by using a child. The first work is finished but I have been told it reads like a social services report! Anyway there are personal letters and diary entries added which portray actual feelings. It has taken 3 years to put the information on paper, now I am trying to adapt it to allow my reader to feel my experiences. Easier said than done.

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
Current project provides the biblical evidence to prove that Jesus did not support religion, in fact he was very much against it. I have made some amazing additional discoveries that I was not anticipating. Going back to the original Hebrew, Greek and Sanscrit roots is a great adventure, if you like detective work.

So time to get on with it.

Later

Sophia2

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
Current project provides the biblical evidence to prove that Jesus did not support religion, in fact he was very much against it. I have made some amazing additional discoveries that I was not anticipating. Going back to the original Hebrew, Greek and Sanscrit roots is a great adventure, if you like detective work.

So time to get on with it.

Later

Sophia2

Are you serious????
I would so buy that book.
Muahahhaha