What are you reading?

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
About to start The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, Barry Lyga.

I'm a little bit excited about this one. My brother read it forever ago and he sent it to me, which means it must be good. :)

-t.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Dangerous Secret by our own Renee Goudeau. Very nice!

Attempting to finish George R.R. Martin's Storm of Swords. Only halfway through.

A Storm Of Swords.

I am picturing Jack Gleeson's terrific portrayal of Joffrey while reading the wedding to Margaery. Marvelous stuff!

I've been trying to get through this. I really liked Game of Thrones, but I feel... lost here. I'm not sure why. There's just too darn much going on, maybe.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I also felt in the camp of GRRMartin's book made me feel a little...meh. For me it dragged on, and had too many points of view. I really loved the storyline so I gave it 5 stars on GoodReads but I probably won't be reading book 2 anytime soon.

I just finished reading Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. I really enjoyed it. The things that bothered me was one of the characters' relationships became a focal point *groans* and the ending/reveal. I did love that it was about the Amish and it showed them in a very gray light, neither saints nor sinners.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Trying to decide which one to read next: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho or The Yacoubian Building by Alaa al-Aswany

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to get through this. I really liked Game of Thrones, but I feel... lost here. I'm not sure why. There's just too darn much going on, maybe.

Because. Nothing. Happens. They just walk. And walk. And walk. Book three is okay. Book four is even worse than book two, and I quit mid-way through. Mark me as one of those who don't get the popularity at all.

Speaking of confusing popularity, I finally went to amazon and "read inside" 5o shad3s of gray. While I did have the urge to pick up the blue pencil and remove 25%, that chunk wasn't as awful as I expected. I wasn't moved to read the rest, but it wasn't that bad. But then I read about 10 or 15 of the most popular 1-star reviews, and that was the most entertaining reading I've done in a long while. (Oh please, writing gods, if my novel gets published and it's popular enough to have people hate it, let them hate it in that funny a manner.) I loved, in particular, the first reviewer, by approval rating, who had done text searches and discovered 150 incidents of "shrugs" and "sighs" and the sort of thing I've removed entirely from my draft already. Not only is that hate, that's dedication to hate that I had to admire.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Kelly Meding's (AW's ChaosTitan) newest: Changeling. Lots of fun!

Also rereading Lin Carter's The Man Who Loved Mars. It's not a perfect book; it falls into several well-used tropes like B movies do. However, like the writer of that B movie that surprises and becomes a cult classic, Carter is a master of characterization.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller....a 19 year old Marine comes home from Afghanistan and struggles with PTSD. WOW.

abbie in wonderland

off with their heads!
Registered
Reaction score
The stand by Stephen king. I tried starting The Tommyknockers but I couldn't get into it.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Took me about a whole month, but I finally finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenedes. I was very impressed. I read The Marriage Plot a while ago, and thought it was a perfectly decent book that underwhelmed, so the expectations for this one weren't high. But man, he hit it out of the park. Some of the best writing and characters I've seen in a long time.

Next up: Brief Interviews With Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace. First taste of Wallace (other than a few of his short stories I've read), so we'll see how I like him.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Alchemist - not quite what I was expecting. I'm half-way through The Yacoubian Building by Alla Al Aswany.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Day of the Jackal. One of those classics of the genre I've never gotten around to reading. (my summer library has little money and so they keep books on the shelf forever, which I like. There are some oldies but goodies worth revisiting.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The Year Of Living Dangerously" by Christopher Koch. I'm really loving it. Knew I would :)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
The Yacoubian Building by Alla Al Aswany is pretty good. It's a slice-of-life novel set in the Yacoubian Building in Cairo. Lots of intertwined and converging plot lines.

I've got a good start on Stephen King's The Wind Through the Keyhole, book 4.5 in the Dark Tower series.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Strain by Guillermo DelToro and Chuck Hogan.

And it's taking me far, far too long to read things this year. This is perhaps only my sixth book so far in 2012, maybe less. When did it start taking me so long to finish a book? Even books I like??

Last edited:

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Wind Through The Keyhole. It was a story embedded in a story embedded in a story. Didn't care for the format or the first level embedded story or the way it was embedded at all. The actual Wind Through the Keyhole story was the best part of the book.

Next up, LeCarre's Call For The Dead.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Finnickin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. Just about halfway through at this point. I ought to get off the computer and go read it right now. :p

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading The Mutt In The Iron Muzzle, the Wishbone version of Man In The Iron Mask. (I gave all my other Wishbone books away, but kept that one, partly because I love the original story and partly because I still like Wishbone, just not as much as I did when I was younger.)

Grottollica

Bohemian Hermit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.astudentofcinema.weebly.com
But then I read about 10 or 15 of the most popular 1-star reviews, and that was the most entertaining reading I've done in a long while.

Must. See. This.

I read the book already, and I was disinclined to read the rest of the series. Truly, it was unremarkable in regards to grammar and vocabulary use, and the story was, while out of the ordinary, certainly not too terribly exciting. But then again, I'm not much a stickler for those kinds of books; the ones centered around relationships. They bore me.

I'm currently reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters, and I must say, his life is so fascinating. The book is a slightly-autobiographical collection of letters to various correspondents of his, but mostly to his mother. The book ends actually at her death; it's tragic, how I guess either he didn't write much to anyone after she died or if his letters were just lost. I know a huge chunk of the story was just description because the letters from that time period were missing.

...I've rambled quite prolifically. Hmmph. Remind me not to do that.

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
"Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi.
"Reckless" by Cornelia Funke.
"The Devil's Right Hand" by Lilith St. Crow.

Since when did I turn into a 'more than one' book kind of girl? Never used to be that way . . .