• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Light Sword Publishing / LSP Digital, LLC

UnrepentantWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The Latest and Greatest About Light Sword Publishing

:Soapbox:
Last week, when civil bailiffs went to seize the property belonging to Light Sword Publishing and Linda Daly, located at her home in Westland, Michigan, Linda Daly scampered on down to the courthouse where she filed a hand-written motion to stay the seizure of properties, claiming that all property belongs solely to her husband Bill, and that she has not been able to do any work, nor has she had any income for the past five years due to health problems. The motion for stay of seizure is dated October 24, 2008. The motion does not list an attorney for Daly or for Light Sword Publishing. By affixing her signature to this statement, Daly has presented to the court the absurd notion that this information is true and correct. By doing so, Daly has put off the right and proper disposition of Light Sword Publishing assets until after November 25, 2008, when a court hearing has been scheduled where the trier of fact will determine the veracity of this statement.

:e2violin:
Daly's affirmation is contrary to the fact that she is the sole proprietor of Light Sword Publishing. Over the last 2 years she has caused to be published over 20 individual titles, all represented by her company. She has hired staff, produced digital pdfs for print, negotiated with print companies, and received inventory. She has distributed these titles to book outlets. She has developed marketing materials, sent out mass-mailings, operated a chat session on Saturday nights, solicited authors for more manuscripts, and done all of the other things incumbent to her position as CEO and owner of Light Sword Publishing. Ms Daly acting as Light Sword Publishing produced royalty statements for the authors contracted to her company and has paid out royalties on the books that have been sold. Numerous of her company's titles are currently for sale on Amazon.com as well as other online outlets. They are also available for sale on the Light Sword Publishing web pages. One former client of hers has sold, according to Daly, herself, thousands of books.

:e2BIC:
Having read many of the court documents surrounding these matters, I have every confidence that the court will order that this seizure go forward. My only question now is whether or not Light Sword Publishing Company's assets won't just sprout wings and fly away--to a relative's home or a storage unit, for example--before the court can take possession.

:Thumbs:
Additionally, I am in receipt of court records from the state of Texas regarding one Bonny Lorraine Kirby--the self-same Kirby who is the former Vice President of Light Sword Publishing and the Advertising Director at Affaire de Coueur. According to the National Criminal database, Ms Kirby is currently serving ten years' probation for half a dozen theft offenses, all occurring in Texas. They range from misdemeanor bad checks to 3rd degree felony theft. Kirby's probation is due to end in 2012. Kirby has now left the state of Texas and is purportedly living in Arkansas.

:scared:
Make no mistake about it, this is the same Bonny Kirby who arranged for reviews and articles about Light Sword titles to be prominently placed (as in 'on the cover') in Affaire De Coueur Magazine during the time that she was VP at LSP. She is the same Bonny Kirby who reportedly wrote an NSF check to the Michigan attorney who was hired to defend Light Sword Publishing and its principles in the lawsuit so richly discussed in these pages. The check was uttered on a Light Sword Publishing account, and, like Light Sword, was dishonored.

Authorities in Texas are going forward in their attempts to recover assets from Ms Kirby.

UnrepentantWriter

Registered
Reaction score
AND LSP DIGITAL STAGGERS ON

:e2poke:Looking at the Light Sword Publishing aka LSP Digital web pages one notes the addition of a new president of the company. Well, not really. That's one of LSP Digital's own 'authors', just using her own name. In fact, except for three people on the 'about us' list on the LSP web pages, ALL of LSP Digital's department heads are authors already contracted to the company.

:e2tomato:It is also interesting to note that although the company has been successfully sued for defrauding authors and the CEO openly alledges that LSP is bankrupt, LSP Digital 'personnel' continue to make online solitications for manuscripts. This is usually done one-on-one or in chat rooms.

BEWARE!:TheWave:

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Two bad you can't just stake these kinds of publishers through the heart.

UnrepentantWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Pity for LSP Authors

:e2drown: If you knew someone who stepped in front of a bus and got hit, you'd feel sorry for them. Anybody would. But let's say that same person steps in front of a bus, and at the hospital you, along with a chorus of other friends and associates, listen as he talks about not having seen the bus coming. "I didn't look," he says.

So all of you school him about the danger of stepping into traffic without looking. You tell him that there are busses everywhere and he must guard himself and his belongings carefully when he steps into the street.

He gets out of the hospital and heals up, then goes back to work. On the way to work, he encourages others to go with him and they all listen to him praise his own stellar ability to wend his way across the busy highway to the safety of the sidewalk on the other side. He, of course, doesn't mention that he's recently been hit by a bus.

Well, you've figured out the end of the story by now: The man leads a gaggle of wide-eyed devotees out into the roadway and BLAM, they all get hit. End of story.

Do I feel sorry for LSP authors still hanging onto the tail of this tattered kite? You've got to be kidding!

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I talked with some of the LSP authors as and before they were signing, and they were plainly lied to. Many facets of legit publishing were pointed out to these authors, along with how things are supposed to go, and they asked the right questions and got dishonest answers.

There but for the grace of God went I. If my first pub had lied to me, I would not have known where to check out the information; I didn't know any published authors and I didn't know about P&E or AW then.

So yes, I feel bad for them.

UnrepentantWriter

Registered
Reaction score
:Headbang: You've missed my point, entirely. Certainly, I felt sympathy for the authors who were originally cotracted to this sham. But do I feel any sympathy for those still contracted and who continue to champion Linda Daly and Light Sword Publishing? Absolutely not! Even knowing how unprofessional this company is, many of them still try to get others to submit works to LSP.

If they want to sink in the mire, that's fine. But contributing to the lie that is Light Sword with self-aggrandizing lip service only serves to entice the unsuspecting. In my opinion, they don't deserve sympathy.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I should add that save one, none of the half-dozen or so authors I referred to above have anything to do with LSP at this time. They got out when they realized--my point was that due to falsehoods, this wasn't as early as it should have been.

No, no sympathy for those who are still there. They've had ample time to change course.

TxRose28

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, it's been so long...

I know I have not been around due to life....
I forgot all about my post and after hearing the news from my spouse, decided to check it out and realized that I had a post. Victoria, I did send you a reply to your PM just now...I know it is long, but you asked for the details of how I was scammed by LSP, and I gave them to you. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to PM me. I will check my box tomorrow night.

To everyone else.....PLEASE BEWARE OF Linda Daly, she is a scammer!!!!!!!!

I wish everyone a safe holiday!!!!!!! Good night!

UnrepentantWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Court Case Disposition

:popcorn:It's my understanding that Linda Daly and LSPDigital were due back in civil court in Michigan on December 16th regarding the (possibly) final disposition of the civil suit. Anyone have info on what happened?

UnrepentantWriter

Registered
Reaction score
And the Plot Sickens ...

:Hammer: The hits just keep on hittin' over on the Light Sword Publishing (now LSP Digital) web pages! Silly, silly me; I thought that with all the negative publicity about the hard stuff: English, grammar and spelling, that the good folk at LSP might actually enlist the aid of an industry professional to do something about the abominable errors on their web pages and in their advertising. Not a chance. Although the site has been reworked to include a babbling justification for strictly POD publication, there has been nary a correction--in fact, the writing on the site is worse than ever. And it's copyright protected, too!

:tongue Perhaps most interesting, aside from the fact that another 'author' has left the fold, is a statement on the 'home' page that, come spring, there will be a new message about a fee schedule for potential publication with LSP!

WOW!!! Now people can actually PAY for this kind of service!
:partyguy:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm definitely not an expert--but yes, I think they can, for things like perjury or concealing assets, or if the court determines that the debtor is actually capable of paying his or her debts.

- Victoria

UnrepentantWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Light Sword Publishing AKA LSP Digital

:DThere are some people in the world who spent a whole lot of time outsmarting themselves. I'm sure that's the case here. I'm wondering how long these author's works are going to be tied up in the courts.:e2thud:

Prospero

Registered
Reaction score
Like one
Who having into truth, by telling of it,
Made such a sinner of his memory,
To credit his own lie, he did believe

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps he'd be willing to help out over in SYW. I'm sure we'd all be grateful. And think of how we could write that one up on our CVs!