Favorite lines you've written

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
My favorite, and most powerful, lead I've ever written.

As he lay dying, his godmother held a "Clay Moore for President" sign above the crowd of NBC's Today show, a final stand of hope for a young man whose life once held unlimited potential.

June 3, 2003

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
He smelled the coffee before he was fully awake and swam up from a confusing muddle of cookfires and canvas tents and impending combat.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I guess a line I happen to like in my most current WIP is: "Are you sure you weren't born a complete idiot?"

It's so sweet.

dragoon_elf

Registered
Reaction score
Comments welcome!

[FONT=&quot]Three of my favorites from this novel that's about 50% done and 100% loved:

[/FONT]
She spoke as she always did with her, as a woman wanting nothing more than to curtail her best friend’s orbit and bring her back down to Earth.
Then again, one of the guideposts of a girls night out was that trajectories didn’t exist anyhow.
Their narratives carried out scene to scene in floating perspectives and angles, as if the laws of gravity in the landscapes she imagined operated at only half-power.
-- this third one describing my protagonist's dreams

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
For long minutes we sat silently on the water, with our fishing lines cast out. The thin filament captured the sunlight and glowed with the energy of the day. And at one near-invisble point in the surface, that line connected us to the world below the water. Stillness.

and here's another:

“Ric, man. You never told me about all that. Your dad was a pretty unreasonable old dude, but you realize most villainous dads are telling their kids to give up their passions and yours was telling you to follow yours? You didn’t want to. You get how weird that is, right?”

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
This is an exchange I recently wrote that I just can't help but get a chuckle out of. To clarify, she's talking about paintings on the wall and they're both a little tipsy! :)
The monkeys were swinging playfully from branch to branch. They pulled faces, or pulled at each other, or somersaulted or—
“Louis,” said Jeanne, “is that monkey putting out the candle with his ass?”
“Yes, indeed, madame, I do believe that that is exactly what that monkey is doing. A good little joke, isn’t it? Would you like to see another? Are you easily amused, madame?”
“Oh yes; very easily amused,” she affirmed.

Even funnier is the fact that this wall painting really existed.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
In fact it did hurt. With just a faint buzz and a slight increase in pressure from the device pushed into the back of his neck, Ben saw colors her never knew existed and felt a pain indescribable to anyone who hasn’t had their skull crushed in by a baseball bat.

lute

This is first line to a short story idea I had when I was vacationing in Costa Rica (hooray for half baked ideas):

I promised myself I wouldn’t end up at some surfer boy’s beach hut (or hammock), drunk and fumbling with God knows what or who.

I thought that foreshadowed quite nicely. Here's another bit from a short story I also have yet to finish (are you seeing a trend, here?):

There were dead people beneath my feet; at least, that is what Trevor had told me once as he concealed a grin. He knew I loved macabre and horror shit.

"You're kidding?" I said, kicking at the ground with the tip of my shoe in fascination.

"Dead serious." He was.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I promised myself I wouldn’t end up at some surfer boy’s beach hut (or hammock), drunk and fumbling with God knows what or who.

Lute -

Hmmm. I'm thinking there might be more to this than just a line from a story.

But as far as lines go, it's a good one.

Aegwynn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm no longer a lurker!

Here is one line of a wip that I am fond of:

I stood outside for awhile, staring at the building that brought forth so many emotions all at once. Memories of a childhood that had been truly happy; guilt at the adolescence that had been lived all too loosely to truly merit any welcome here; and frustration at the young adulthood that had been ripped apart by that black inevitability that seemed to colour my entire existence. Death.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm no longer a lurker!

Here is one line of a wip that I am fond of:

I stood outside for awhile, staring at the building that brought forth so many emotions all at once. Memories of a childhood that had been truly happy; guilt at the adolescence that had been lived all too loosely to truly merit any welcome here; and frustration at the young adulthood that had been ripped apart by that black inevitability that seemed to colour my entire existence. Death.

No longer a lurker, woo! Nice line.

I'm venturing into this thread because...I am.

[FONT=&quot]Frozen into eternal grace, those glowing marble figures hang in my mind like shades rising from the Styx.
[/FONT]

lute

LUTE:

"Dead serious."--pun intended, I take it. :Thumbs: Gave me a giggle.

Haha, yes! Pun was intended. Also, this "Trevor" mentioned is dead as the story is being told, so the "He was" line after that makes it like a double whammy of puns. Yikes, a pun to end all puns! Anyway, thank you so much for the comment <3

Last edited:

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here's one I thought up when I woke up in the middle of the night.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag..."

Not very original I know. But it's the perfect opening line for my WIP. (I guess you'd have to be there.)

Last edited:

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
"We aren't immortal, we just live too long."

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Gently moving Ikarias to one side, Phenthregaas took off bursting through the smoke and into the sky that had sheltered his enemy, and stole half his joy.

kellytijer

What the hell is going on?!
Registered
Reaction score
She inspected the pot of beans with a discerning eye, then gave the beans a wink as if to say, “You’re doing just fine!

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Like my aunt, I cook when I'm bored. Unlike her, no one had ever named any of my kitchen utensils the Soup Pot of Death.

TypoSlayer

Rawr
Registered
Reaction score
From my half-finished dark fantasy/wry comedy:

The taller, stronger Serano pressed down, causing his blade to screech along Adam's dagger, towards the boy's shoulder.

Bolitho, help. Please.
He could almost see the demon roll his eyes. "What would you do without me?"
Do you really want an answer to that?
"Nope."

Comments appreciated :D

Last edited:

Vorteil

lost in the mountains
Registered
Reaction score
"Kielo, are we going to be okay?"
"What? No, of course not. We’re running around in the woods waving sticks."