Hockey fans?

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Any other hockey fans out there? Penguins fan here! But since we're already on our next round, I'm watching the Red Wings v. Coyotes game at the moment. Oh man, intense.
Naturally, I want the Coyotes to win... They're still down 2-1 though *bites nails*

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
HEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOO!!!! Need I say more????
Hockey fan since 7 years old. Cut my teeth on the Habs and now cry with the Leafs. Love the Original Six, did my time as a hockey mom (2 years) & wrote a hockey romance.

Mom got Rocket Richard's autograph when I was born (he visited the hospital) & then lost it. Grrrr....

Of course I'd like to see the Habs go far in the playoffs, then I'd root for any Canadian team (except Ottawa, thank goodness). Then any original six, then any underdog. I'm not TOO fussy.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Mom got Rocket Richard's autograph when I was born (he visited the hospital) & then lost it. Grrrr....

Damn!!! That would have been an awesome b-day present!
Just after Mario Lemieux signed with Pittsburgh, before he really spoke English at all, he visited the zoo to sign autographs for kids, and changed in my dad's office at the aquazoo. And Dad didn't think to get an autograph cause "he left his jersey at home." OMG fail.
... I really don't think I'm going to get to see the Wings eliminated :( it's now 4-1 *wince*
I gotta say, I'm glad the Sharks made it in though. I don't follow too many west coast teams, but I like them... I feel you on the Leafs pain :/ They are my second favorite team (I decided this at age 8 because I thought their uniforms were pretty. What can I say, I'm biased over strange things?)
I was pretty much raised on hockey too, Dad started taking me to games and teaching me to heckle the refs at age 6 >.> But he wouldn't let me swear of course, so we made up insults to yell like "BUY SOME GLASSES, REF." Yeah, I was a jerk even at 6, wooo.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda ya, but I have to wait a few more years to get excited again. *sigh*

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I moved this thread here from Office Party, where hopefully other fans will join the discussion.

Old joke alert: I went to a boxing match once, and a hockey game broke out.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely!!

I live near Dallas so the Stars are local. I root for my favorites, Phoenix, Chicago, just to name a couple...and let's not forget Nashville! Ole 22!

The playoffs are breath holding!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Did the Habs really beat the Caps after being down three to one in the series?

Funny how before the playoffs ever started, it appeared Washington was going to be awarded the Cup based upon perceptions alone. Good thing that never happened.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
This thread is about ICE hockey? Yes?

Over here, hockey is played on a field with sticks shaped like a "J" and a small, hard ball. Mostly, it's played in girls' schools, but I believe some men play it too.

PS Football over here is played by people who hit a ball with their feet. Touching it with their hands is verboten (apart from the goal-keeper). The clue's in the name.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
What? No word yet on the finals?

I'm going with Chicago because, well, I just can't stand Philly, its fan base nor the city itself.

Now if that doesn't bring on reprisals or general discussion, there's simply no hope left for this thread.

Go Blackhawks!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
What? No word yet on the finals?

I'm going with Chicago because, well, I just can't stand Philly, its fan base nor the city itself.

Now if that doesn't bring on reprisals or general discussion, there's simply no hope left for this thread.

Go Blackhawks!

:mad:

remember when i said i was going to buy you a beer, dino? :e2teeth:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
HAWKS HAWKS HAWKS. in four.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Capitols fan here. They broke my heart, once again, in the playoffs.

But at least they make the playoffs. I'm a Nationals fan too, and I am getting tired of us getting the top draft pick every year.

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Would someone be kind enough and take me under their wings and sort of coach me through this season? Please? Don't kill me but I just discovered the sport after moving here and I really do love it. But I also have so much catching up to do and I want to surprise some of my friends so we don't have to sit through any more games with one eye on the game and the other on the other person while they're patiently trying to explain what on earth is going on. I'm thinking PM would be best but if anyone has any other ideas, I'm open. :)

ETA I might have some scenes about high school hockey teams (in the Minnesota area) in a WIP. Anyone out there willing to answer some questions I might have if I decide to go ahead with this? Such as coaching teams (in high school and earlier), the games themselves etc.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Believe it or not, this subforum and this thread too are about writing about sports. So it's the perfect place to ask your questions. If anybody gives you any problems about that, just let me know and I'll see if the fish can arrange for them to spend two minutes in the penalty box for high sticking.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I am a hockey mom and I watch hockey with the hubby and son, every time they have it on and that's alot. Two out of three novels I wrote have a character playing hockey and I think my son will be a pro some day (a mom can dream, right?) Oh, and GO HAWKS!!!!

Does that mean, I'm a hockey fan??? What do u think?

Great thread, by the way!!!

GO HAWKS!
(hada say it one more time.)

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Believe it or not, this subforum and this thread too are about writing about sports. So it's the perfect place to ask your questions. If anybody gives you any problems about that, just let me know and I'll see if the fish can arrange for them to spend two minutes in the penalty box for high sticking.

That has got to be the sweetest welcome ever, thanks. :) And here's the first stupid question, is high sticking when you hit someone (more or less) by accident?

There's gonna be a bunch of them, so here goes the first batch.
1. At what age do kids usually start ice hockey? I'm assuming there's a little league of sorts. And what qualifications do you need to be a coach for the little league, junior high and high school teams respectively?
2. Can anyone suggest a good comprehensive site to track high school games, so I can get an idea? I'm asking my friends here and I'm in touch with a sports school here (sports teams in schools aren't normally as pronounced as in the States. I remember that being a culture shock when we moved to Europe in junior high) but I'm in Finland so things might be slightly different. So far I'm looking at:

http://www.ushsho.com/
http://www.ishl.org/
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=410

3. If you were an ice hockey player in high school, would that have the same prestige as a football jock, from the students' point of view and where the community is concerned (one high school I went to, the football team was so bad, no self-respecting guy would even think of joining, so it was soccer and basketball, hence the idea)? And what about cheerleaders?
4. Does anyone have a good link to ice hockey videos on youtube concerning games?

This is mainly boys. Not sure if they would let a guy coach a girls' team.

That's it for now. Thanks in advance.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Die hard hockey fan, here. I'll watch any level of hockey, any time. Huge leafs fan, despite parents being habs fans and wings fans. I'm also a die-hard Windsor Spitfire fan, and prefer junior hockey over pro hockey.

latourdumonie my answers to your questions:
1. Anywhere from two to six years old, usually. Most parents I know taught their kids to skate on back yard ponds or local arenas as soon as their kids could walk.
I think so. I don't actually know for sure. Hockey Canada has this on their website about coaching "Hockey Canada’s National Coach Certification Program (NCCP) is a competency-based program. The program enables coaches to build their coaching tools and knowledge of the game, so they can work effectively with their players." High school is more relaxed, generally. At least around here. My high school's coach was someone who'd played hockey as a kid, and plays regularly now. I think it depends on how sports-focused the school is.
2. The only news source I've ever known for high school hockey was the local radio, so I can't really help you with that.
3. Again, it depends on the school and how much focus there is on sports. At my high school it was pretty much an insult if the only hockey team you could make was the high school team, as the team was terrible for the majority of the years I was there. If you played for a local team, such as a "farm team" for a local junior hockey team (two levels below pro) then you had a bit more status. No cheerleaders at hockey games.There way arenas are designed, there's no real room at the arenas, not to mention cold to most, and silly notion really...the people who went were there to watch the hockey game or the fights.
4. Nope, sorry. Try youtubing team names and see what comes up, though.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I still loathe cheerleaders at the NHL level. Ugh. Even the Oilers have them.