Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Cute bunny pic, LV!

on that note, I'm happy to announce a new addition to our crew!

1356380237.jpg

She's a Felmish Giant and is only about 8 weeks old and very curious and friendly!
She'll probably get to be 17-22lbs or so. We're still deciding on a name...right now it's between Clover & Jersey.
How about Hasenpfeffer? Not only is it a nice name, it's delicious too. :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
...just a few pages in and I am already bowled over by the spectacular photography. My photos and videos are nothing near that quality; I'm a rank amateur to begin with, and my camera equipment is very basic. Still, maybe I can give an impression of Guyana's amazing wildlife.

On one of the boat trips mentioned above, we saw a group of Amerindian boys swimming in the river on the way out, near a sandbank. On the way home, we saw a group of caimans dozing on exactly the same sandbank...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread, aruna! We are always happy to see new photos and stories... and it makes no difference if you are a professional photographer and writer, or an amateur, as long as you share our passion for nature.. :)

Great photos, btw. Makes me want to go to there..

Cella, cute bunneh! Can she flex her glutes?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cella, pay no attention to Haggis.

We used to have Flemish Giant. Her name was Thumper. I know, how original. She was really sweet, would let me pick her up and cuddle her. And she gave kisses. She had tons of fun playing with the cats, once they got over being afraid of her. Our tortie would go over to where Thumper was lying in the grass, flop over on her back, and then bat at Thumper's ear to make if flip.

MM

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cella, cute bunneh! Can she flex her glutes?
not yet, but she does keep running around with her pants on her head... ;)

Cella, pay no attention to Haggis.

We used to have Flemish Giant. Her name was Thumper. I know, how original. She was really sweet, would let me pick her up and cuddle her. And she gave kisses. She had tons of fun playing with the cats, once they got over being afraid of her. Our tortie would go over to where Thumper was lying in the grass, flop over on her back, and then bat at Thumper's ear to make if flip.

MM
Awww! Yeah, she and our 120lb Boxer/shepherd mix have been getting aquainted. I think they'll get along fine especially when she's full-grown.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not to worry. She never has yet.

Don't be silly. You're the first super I think of when I need to, yanno...
Self

...ban

:e2brows:

And stuff.
:D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Cute bunny pic, LV!

on that note, I'm happy to announce a new addition to our crew!

1356380237.jpg

She's a Felmish Giant and is only about 8 weeks old and very curious and friendly!
She'll probably get to be 17-22lbs or so. We're still deciding on a name...right now it's between Clover & Jersey.
What a cute bunny! I like the name clover. :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, heyjude and LV!
:)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Here's a picture of my Harry Lauder's Walking Stick today. Also known as a contorted filbert. I took the picture through the dirty back door window, and it was getting dark outside so the quality isn't so good. I did a bit of photo manipulation to try to brighten the picture without making it look faked. This will be a beautiful plant when it grows bigger, and whenever I decide to put it in the ground. Half thinking of just getting a larger, fancy pot and keep it as a patio plant, since it seems hardy enough to survive life in a pot. Anyway:

HarryLauder12-26-12_zps6eab5a70-1_zpsf5c85e23.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a photo of Diane McTurk with one of her otters. Not taken by me; borrowed from the blog The Adventures of Andrea and Salvador

Giant anteater, from the same blog.
Hi, Aruna! It's been a long time since we've crossed paths on AW. :)

I've removed the photos you shared and left links to the blog. It's best not to post images on AW from other sites unless you first copy them to a photo sharing venue such as Flickr or Photobucket.

I look forward to hearing and seeing more about your experiences from Guyana. :)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Great bunny photos! aw...and congrats to you, Cella on your new addition. aw.

:hi: aruna. :) I'm looking forward to seeing your photos if you can get them on here, it really sounds exciting and quite the adventure.

Tepelus, that photo is beautiful. I really don't like the snow, not at all, but I can't deny the beauty in it. Great shot. :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks, SK.
So, here's a 2 minute video I managed to put together and posted to YouTube.

http://youtu.be/9AcqGuc9Rpo

(hope that worked! It didn't. So I'll just post the YouTube link, until I learn how to embed videos.)
At 47 seconds, Jasper, our Amerindian boatman, spotted a heron on the riverbank. The Amerindians have such amazing eyesight. Though it was perfectly camouflaged, he spotted it from a moving boat several meters away.
You can get an idea of the vastness and emptiness of the interior by the fact that we arrived at sunset, about an hour later.

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What the chihuey said.. ditto

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
On that day we were off to the Lily Pond. This was a lake hidden in the jungle, covered all over with the Amazonica Regia lily pads. These are huge flat round leaves, so strong you can even lie a baby on them. They grow a very special lily, that opens slowly every evening. So we sat there waiting as the sun went down. All kinds of birds came and landed on the lily pads, squawking and calling to each other, flapping their wings. A caiman or two swam past. We drank rum punch and waited.

As it grew darker, the white lilies slowly began to open. They emit an intoxicating scent.
At some point, a beetle arrives and enters the lily. It dives right down into her interior, where all the nectar is, and gets drunk on the sweetness there. It stays there all night, and the next day emerges again to go off and pollinate the next white lily. Meanwhile, the lily it leaves behind turns from white to pink, and from male to female.
waterlilywhite.jpg
/

The following photo was taken earlier than the one above it. You can see the same lily at various stages of its life: the still closed pod in the background, and the fully opened pink lily the following day. Nature is so miraculous, so full of surprises!
waterlilypink.jpg

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Not really - very amateurish! And the video -- well, it was my first days with a camera and my hand shook a lot!
But this thread motivated me enough to sort them out, edit them a little, post them on YouTube and then here. Been meaning to do it for months!