• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Orangetober

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I finally get to post in here!

I finished my first draft of my first 'novel' ever earlier tonight! SO happy. I never thought I would do it. I've started quite a few 'novels' but never finished them, written plenty of stories/poems and have always kept a journal, but never have I written an entire 'book'.

I'm actually proud of myself. The book sucks, but I'm happy:)

Congratulations! Actually finishing something can really be the hardest part for a lot of people and even if it never sees the light of day, you know that you are capable of writing a novel. Celebrate!

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
Lost in Space Opera

The best way to describe my novels is space opera. That in itself is fine, but I'm space opera from way back like Edgar Rice Burroughs. I am a very melodramatic writer and I would have fit perfectly in as a television writer of the 60s and 70s--thus the tragedy of my writing career. Perhaps my style of writing is lack of talent or perhaps I've watched too many episodes of Lost in Space and Land of the Lost. But I love it so! I must have some talent. I know my query letters have gotten major bites over the years. I know ACE asked to see my novel based just on the query letter. I got rejected but I felt good that a major publishers wanted to see my work. The problem for me is that I am having trouble finding a science fiction publisher that publishes my particular kind of science fiction. There are not many out there that do. It's like some band today trying to get a contract from a major record company performing only 70s music. Actually, that is exactly what it is. But, I am not going to change my style and will continue on writing just what I have been writing. I have to enjoy what I am doing. If that means I will never have success, then so be it. I don't mean that lightly. I would give anything to be a best selling author and I am willing to work hard to make it happen. However, if I have to change my writing style, then I don't want the success.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that my best writing comes from anger and pain, or at least something that I am unsettled about.

notmyid

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, when I'm writing or just generally what I think about my writings?

When I'm not writing, I'm either sleeping or just melting on the sofa (It's REALLY hot in here, mind you), so not a lot of thoughts going on there.

When I AM writing, I typically have the most intelligent, philosophical wonderings, I reach depths you wouldn't imagine. "Is there anything to eat?" OR "Bleh" are just a few of my greatest ponderings.

Last edited:

PrincessFiona

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a memoir. Though I feel good about what I've written and have had someone go over it for editing, it falls short of the magical 50,000 words. I'm sitting at 'just' 42,000. I can't let this go. It's the last thing that I think about at night, and the first thing on my mind in the morning.

I'm not sure that I am ready to let the story stand on its own as it is simply because of word count.

kris

J.S. Clark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pen-of-jsclark.com
I'm wrestling with making work with thought in it. I liked OSC's Ender Saga except for Xenocide which I thought was too removed, but they all had plenty of exposition. I don't want to go crazy with it, but I like a story that is more contemplative. I'm not put off by "navel gazing" unless their problems are really petty and show their lack of character. Someone struggling with how to survive physically and morally in a tough situation is interesting to me, some adolescent wrestling with their desire to be normal or to deciding which of the ambivalent unmotivated significant other is not.

I also don't mind an author making a good case for a point of view even if I disagree so long as its interesting and thoughtful.

So . . . I wrestle because I want to make those challenging mind/emotional/moral games, but I'm told that's not marketable anymore. I don't care, I'm a self-pubber. I write what I want and then I write while I wait for my readers to find me because if I like it, someone else does too.

But I wrestle with knowing when I'm going too far. Sometimes I read back over something and know, this just doesn't need to be in there. Explaining some political backdrop that wouldn't be relevant to the POV at that moment. I think I get rid of it, but . . . when you hear enough people saying "Just throw some action in a blender instead of this part," you can doubt your own taste.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I don't even care what is marketable. My Galactic Seven series is hardly marketable, at least the way I've written it. My writing style is 50 years out of date, but I don't care. I love that sort of thing. It may mean that I never sell my novels to a major publisher, but I'm not going to change. Perhaps my style is lack of talent. I had a editor tell me that if I was living 50 or 60 years ago, I'd probably be wealthy. I guess my work would fall into the pulp scifi novels back in the golden days. I'm holding on to a little sliver of hope that I can get the attention of someone. The odd thing is that people seem to like my work. My first novel I had a lady in her 70s (who said she did not like science fiction) buy a copy of my book for her grandson. She decided to read it and then she liked it so much she bought two more copies. (and no, this was not an acquaintance or family member). The thing is my first novel is the worst of the 4 that I have written. My writting is improving with every novel. But my point is you need to write what you like and what you want. Not what the trends are.

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling needy. Another thread reminded me what I liked about fanfiction--people coming by my work, then reading/commenting just because they felt like it, not because I asked them too.

I'm itching for a readership, I guess. I never thought that would be true. I always said I was a person who wrote just for me. Now I want other people to read! I want them to like it! Blargh. Listen to me. Needy, needy, needy.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
What's on my mind... Editing. Procrastinating. Editing for the purpose of procrastination, when what I should be doing is writing the rest of the bloody novel.

I think the problem is there's this big chunk of 'stuff' I need to write to get me to the next really clear scene in my head, but I'm not really sure what that stuff is. I've been winging it for a few chapters, and I don't know if they're any good - they've been a really hard slog through the plot, and I'm not even sure they're still following the plot.

When I go back and edit the first ten chapters, they feel safe and comfortably familiar. I still make the odd tweak here and there, improving them a tiny bit each time, but I mainly just read through them in order to reassure myself that the start of the book is pretty ok. It has plot cohesion, clear direction. Then around chapter 11/12 it just goes a bit... meh.

And chapters 13 and 14 are still in the ugh phase.

snapdragons

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently cleared the 20,000 word mark of this novel I've been working on for so long and I can just feel myself getting bogged down, just by not being confident and worrying about my pacing/characters/description. I've also become much more busy and it's harder to squeeze in my writing time. I can just feel myself becoming distracted!

That being said, I really want to finish this, and I think (hope!) that I will in not too long.

So that's what's on my mind about writing, nice to get it out :)

MilkChocolate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to print out a hard copy of my 'book' so that I can revise/destroy it physically with a big red pen, but I have no money and my sister's printer is an asshole so I haven't accomplished that yet.

So I've been editing my novel on the computer. I've realized that I suck even more than I ever thought possible. I overuse commas and the word 'that' and don't use enough conjunctions.

Also, I accidentally named one of my characters 'Michael Jackson.' Seriously. If i miss shit like that then I must suck exponentially. It wasn't a main character, but I referred to him as 'Michael Jackson' for a number of pages. Took days before I realized that this could be a problem. F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PTBHPTHPTBTBHTTHTHPTHTPHTHT

that's what everything I write sounds like.

MilkChocolate, one of my characters is currently named Engelbert Humperdinck because I didn't know what the hell to name him and it was the first thing that came to mind.

...I hope I remember to change it.

And that I think of a name as awesome as Engelbert Humperdinck.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself - there's definitely some recognisable words in it. Although mainly ones that revolve around penis bones and donkey scrotums, it must be said :D

MilkChocolate, one of my characters is currently named Engelbert Humperdinck because I didn't know what the hell to name him and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Why? they obviously didn't bother doing so in the Princess Bride... ;)

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGmMO0zbJo

snapdragons

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to print out a hard copy of my 'book' so that I can revise/destroy it physically with a big red pen, but I have no money and my sister's printer is an asshole so I haven't accomplished that yet.

So I've been editing my novel on the computer. I've realized that I suck even more than I ever thought possible. I overuse commas and the word 'that' and don't use enough conjunctions.

Also, I accidentally named one of my characters 'Michael Jackson.' Seriously. If i miss shit like that then I must suck exponentially. It wasn't a main character, but I referred to him as 'Michael Jackson' for a number of pages. Took days before I realized that this could be a problem. F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, overusing the word "that" is one of my worst writing habits! I don't even realize it when I do it, but search for it and I just go along taking out all of them. I feel your pain.

Lol to the Michael Jackson thing. I spend so much time naming my characters and yet I miss little things like that too that should be blatantly obvious from the beginning.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score

Don't give up. Keep at it. The problems you mentioned are not problems you can't overcome. If it was your first draft, heck, you should see my first drafts. The more you write the better you will get. My first novel was released with 200 typos in it (thank you very much). A novel is a work in progress. It isn't supposed to be perfect when you first write it. Writing the novel is not the work, editing and trying to sell it is. Read alot and write alot. That's how you learn.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Yeah, MilkChocolate, listen to them guys who know. I didn't realize how many times I wrote "THAT" until a certain squirrel started x-ing 'em out in red, yikes.

Sometimes printers suck, right now mine prints out

one.
page.
at.
a.
time.

maybe. If I hold the corner of the paper and shove it just so. Even then, it's a crap shoot, it sucks in or gets jammed up in there. No way can I print out a manuscript so I have to pay exorbitant sums of money to Office Max or whatever. What did Buz say?

Exactly.

Hey, first draft, right? You're working it. We are all in the same boat, same ocean anyway. But not adrift alone, you're floating amidst a bunch of kindred spirits. . . we writers stick together, we go through all kinds of crap to get our stories out 'cause we love it 'cause we're crazy. . .

:D

On my mind about my writing? I just realized I'm past 65K on ALBERT. OMG. For real this thing is poised to end. In my lifetime. I hope. :)

Last edited:

MilkChocolate

Registered
Reaction score

I love that name, personally. It's fantastic. Why would you change it? Also, I'm assuming your character's moniker was intentional whereas I seriously wrote the name Doctor Michael Jackson like five times:)

Ahhh, overusing the word "that" is one of my worst writing habits! I don't even realize it when I do it, but search for it and I just go along taking out all of them. I feel your pain.

Lol to the Michael Jackson thing. I spend so much time naming my characters and yet I miss little things like that too that should be blatantly obvious from the beginning.
Glad I'm not the only one. Apparently I love 'that'. I removed 1,000 of them. Seriously. And there's still plenty in there. Even from the parts I've already edited.

Don't give up. Keep at it. The problems you mentioned are not problems you can't overcome. If it was your first draft, heck, you should see my first drafts. The more you write the better you will get. My first novel was released with 200 typos in it (thank you very much). A novel is a work in progress. It isn't supposed to be perfect when you first write it. Writing the novel is not the work, editing and trying to sell it is. Read alot and write alot. That's how you learn.
Thank you! Yeah, mine has WAAYYY more than 200 typos. You're a genius in comparison to me. Well, all of you are. Cause you're actually intelligent and can write intelligently. I'm scared shitless of trying to sell this garbage to anyone. I'm envious of those of you that have the balls to do that and are good enough to actually get published.
Yeah, MilkChocolate, listen to them guys who know. I didn't realize how many times I wrote "THAT" until a certain squirrel started x-ing 'em out in red, yikes.

Sometimes printers suck, right now mine prints out

one.
page.
at.
a.
time.

maybe. If I hold the corner of the paper and shove it just so. Even then, it's a crap shoot, it sucks in or gets jammed up in there. No way can I print out a manuscript so I have to pay exorbitant sums of money to Office Max or whatever. What did Buz say?

Exactly.

Hey, first draft, right? You're working it. We are all in the same boat, same ocean anyway. But not adrift alone, you're floating amidst a bunch of kindred spirits. . . we writers stick together, we go through all kinds of crap to get our stories out 'cause we love it 'cause we're crazy. . .

:D

On my mind about my writing? I just realized I'm past 65K on ALBERT. OMG. For real this thing is poised to end. In my lifetime. I hope. :)

You're right. I know. So you love 'that' too? I can't believe how much I overuse it. I found FIVE of them in one sentence recently. This is difficult but you're right, I love my story.

I wish I had a printer that would print even one stupid page at this point! Hopefully by Saturday I can sort out my problems! Also, congratulations on your 65k! That's awesome:) I remember when I broke 50k. I never thought I would be able to do it. Turns out, I can. But half of those 50k were 'that'....

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're being a bit hard on yourself - there's definitely some recognisable words in it. Although mainly ones that revolve around penis bones and donkey scrotums, it must be said :D

*sniff* I suppose you're right...*sigh*

Why? they obviously didn't bother doing so in the Princess Bride... ;)
Lol, I never made such a connection :D

I did think perhaps Zanglebert Bangledack or Slutbum Walla, but there's a certain air of dignity and honor about this character that I felt was suited only to "Engelbert Humperdinck"...hmmmmm

Badcrumble, perhaps.

Go baby go. :)

I'm thoroughly stuck at 60K but that's about the norm (every scene is a difficult pointy sanguine shit and every third of the novel brings horrific constipation). It doesn't feel good.

I love that name, personally. It's fantastic. Why would you change it?

Well the character has a sort of a beard fetish and ends up partially disemboweling himself and dying...I wouldn't want to sully the Humperdinck name.

Also, I'm assuming your character's moniker was intentional whereas I seriously wrote the name Doctor Michael Jackson like five times:)
Oh, well! But you made him a doctor! :D

Thank you! Yeah, mine has WAAYYY more than 200 typos. You're a genius in comparison to me. Well, all of you are. Cause you're actually intelligent and can write intelligently.
Please; you have no idea...

Last edited:

MilkChocolate

Registered
Reaction score
*sniff* I suppose you're right...*sigh*

Lol, I never made such a connection :D

I did think perhaps Zanglebert Bangledack or Slutbum Walla, but there's a certain air of dignity and honor about this character that I felt was suited only to "Engelbert Humperdinck"...hmmmmm

Badcrumble, perhaps.

Go baby go. :)

I'm thoroughly stuck at 60K but that's about the norm (every scene is a difficult pointy sanguine shit and every third of the novel brings horrific constipation). It doesn't feel good.

Well the character has a sort of a beard fetish and ends up partially disemboweling himself and dying...I wouldn't want to sully the Humperdinck name.

Oh, well! But you made him a doctor! :D

Please; you have no idea...

ahaha, your book sounds awesome. Mine blows.

I've spent the past couple of hours (hopefully) removing every instance of Michael Jackson there is in my draft. Fun times...

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com

Yay! Keep going! :hooray:

I haven't even technically started my second draft yet. But I did make some prep progress, or what have you: I woke up this morning telling myself the backstory, so I ate breakfast at my desk while I wrote it down. 1,700 words covering thousands of years, and now I'm at the part where the story begins. Now if only I understood how my magic system works....

Last edited:

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
It's official. I'm using slush pile hell and evil editor to make myself feel better by wallowing in horrible writing. I think I'm demented.

Last edited:

MilkChocolate

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Keep going! :hooray:

I haven't even technically started my second draft yet. But I did make some prep progress, or what have you: I woke up this morning telling myself the backstory, so I ate breakfast at my desk while I wrote it down. 1,700 words covering thousands of years, and now I'm at the part where the story begins. Now if only I understood how my magic system works....

Wow. And I can't cover three years in 130,000. How did you manage that?

I'm frustrated because I know I have to rewrite a lot of this draft to make it work. My beginning really, really sucks and I need to start the story earlier. I'm thinking of simply moving up the timeline, though, and condensing all of the action into one year instead of four. It's going to take a lot of work, but I can't give up on this book. I love the idea of it and I'll do what I have to do to make it the best possible book I can write.

That means that I have to rewrite 2/3rds of it and change any references to the past, but that's okay. I'm procrastinating right now. It's a daunting task.

Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else whilst revising/editing? Or would you just trash the whole ms?