New Forum Suggestion -- advice from members of other demographic groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like a common question to ask is "as a member of X demographic group, what do you think of Y scenario?" Although the exact phrasing may be different, the sentiment is the same. I've seen this kind of question asked in Basic Writing, Brainstorming Sandbox, even SYW. There doesn't seem to be any one "go to" forum for this kind of question.

I think it would be a good idea to have a forum dedicated to this kind of question. You have a wide variety of demographic groups represented among your members, it's such a valuable resource to tap into.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes folk rush to post without first bothering to browse or check to see where their question might best belong, and I doubt creating additional Forums will make any difference to that no matter how specific the Heading is.

Anyway, the more folk who see the question the better the chance of getting a response -popping it into an clique encouraging and obscure Forum for demographic groupings won't necessarily help and would probably considerably resrict readers.

If a Forum is obviously wrong for a Question, the helpful and ever-alert Mods are there in a jiffy (a special kind of Mod vehicle) to rectify the traffic flow.

Last edited:

Panthisia

Registered
Reaction score
I have questions relating to this topic.

Where is the best place to ask the kind of question mentioned by MythMonger? And what is the best way to title such questions? I know I have questions that fall in that category, at least partly, and I'm not sure where and how would be best to ask.

Deleted member 42

I have two answers to this question:

1. What kind of demographic? Have you looked at and, especially important, read the Stickies in PoC and QUILTBAG? And let's not overlook Story Research or the International District.

2. I'm not really keen on isolating questions too specifically; I'd suggest either Basic Writing or Roundtable are good venues for most questions of this sort.

Last edited by a moderator:

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I think POC or QUILTBAG is a good place for those types of questions. Story Research is a good choice too, but you'd probably get better, more in-depth responses in POC and QUILTBAG because a lot of people follow those who don't follow Story Research. Do be advised, however, that both of those rooms tend to assume people have a certain level of basic research and understanding, and you'll be more likely to get better answers if you come in with informed questions and already know the 101.

edit: ninja'ed by Medievalist!

Panthisia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still new to this site and haven't learned my way around yet. I did just stumble across QUILTBAG (though my first browsing of the forums I couldn't understand what that had to do with anything), which is the section that likely will be of help for most of the questions I currently have. I am reading the stickies in that room now.

Thanks for the advice.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still new to this site and haven't learned my way around yet. I did just stumble across QUILTBAG (though my first browsing of the forums I couldn't understand what that had to do with anything), which is the section that likely will be of help for most of the questions I currently have. I am reading the stickies in that room now.

Thanks for the advice.

Can I ask a favour? There are a few people here that have old eyes and dodgy eyesight. So pale blue text on a white background is almost impossible to read. It would be much easier to read black text. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.