Stories about hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turhan

Someone
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback about novels or shorter stories about hell.

I'm thinking something contemporary like someone has to go to hell on a mission to stop an imminent attack by demons on humankind or perhaps kill a demon responsible for their wife's death etc.

Is there a book about a journey to hell and specifically one where depictions of what is going on there that I have to read that'll help me as a noob to writing. I just started writing and my WIP is about 4500 words so far.

I have an idea that I want to employ but I'd also like some pointers if anyone has any.

TIA

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Medieval miracle plays titled The Harrowing of Hell (there are two that I can recall; should be in your local library; not sure if they're on Gutenberg.org).

Dante's Inferno

There's a series called Heroes in Hell, but I don't recall the author.

Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series; I think the first one is Working for the Devil

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I think you should probably make up your own Hell, but for treatments in recent times I'd look at SEASON OF MISTS by Neil Gaiman - one of his Sandman arcs - and Richard Kadrey's SANDMAN SLIM books (which contain extensive passages set in Hell, which looks much like LA.)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Lou Morgan's BLOOD AND FEATHERS includes the main character having to travel down to Hell.

Turhan

Someone
Registered
Reaction score
Thanx guys!

I think there's a theme going on here. One reply from Scotland, one from London (my hometown too) and a third one with a Tardis. I mean where I grew up in Islington/Kings Cross it was kinda like hell there too, but I digress<--always sounded scholarly to me, there I go digressing again!

Anyway, Torgo I will definitely be making up my own hell, hell I'm even going to make it have two levels for my WIP, but I wanted to get an idea how others have tackled such a volatile place.

Thanx everyone for all your suggestions, I'll be checking into them in the next few days.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Here's a reply from a Scotsman in Canada...

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle updated Dante in INFERNO

And I like the depiction of the bad fire place in the movie CONSTANTINE

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
More Hell on earth than hell in hell, but City of Dog by Tom Piccirilli is one of my favorite short stories for sheer weirdness

Storycrowd

Writer / Web Developer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writtenwebdesign.com
I think you should probably make up your own Hell

I think Torgo is spot on with this - and overall I think this sounds like a great WIP already. "Hell" sounds like it could be a very rich vein a series, and I think it would stand well to be "worldbuilt" anew by someone. So, sounds awesome.

I think also you should read up on "The Canterbury Tales", too, which plays off the idea of hell quite a bit, for some historical reference to play against. Also "The Inferno", as mentioned. Classic plus new, double-double awesome.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It isn't exactly a "Prevent The Apocalypse" kinda movie, but What Things May Come starring Robin Williams had an interesting depiction of Hell (and of redemption). It's a slow movie, but an interesting idea.

Ever looked up the comic character called Spawn? There was an awful movie made about the character. Although John Leguizamo as a clown demon was fun. I kinda rooted for that bad guy.

wilchris

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why not research different religious views of hell, for a kick start for an original take on it?

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I second the suggestion of researching different religions' views of hell or places of punishment.

I'll also suggest, just for a twist, the comedic views of hell in the short stories of John Collier, which while funny can be poignant and disturbing as well if you think about them long enough. "The Devil, George, and Rosie" gives us hells designed specifically for different groups of people reflecting sad or nightmarish versions of ordinary modern life. In another bit of imagery, a man finds himself dancing in a club in hell with a young lady, but she and all the others trapped forever on that dance floor were suicides by drowning, as evident by their appearance. He also gives us hints of alternating funny and terrifying devils and demons, such as the would-be movie impresario in "Pictures in the Fire," the devil with a job to do in the hilarious "Halfway to Hell," and the devastating destruction of a major though never seen demon in the disturbing "Thus I Refute Beelzy."

Last edited:

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
C. S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters was published in 1942 but remains one of the most interesting and fully-realized visions of Hell as a bureaucracy.

Not a "going down into Hell" hero's journey so much as a behind the scenes look at the operation.

Matthew Hughes

Old Pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewhughes.org
I'd like some feedback about novels or shorter stories about hell.

I've done a three-novel series, To Hell and Back, about a high-functioning autistic actuary who accidentally causes Hell to go on strike and emerges from the situation as a costumed crimefighter with a reluctant, weasel-headed demon for a sidekick.

There's a fair bit of information about how Hell is organized, but it's entirely my own concept -- no Dante or Bosch involved -- and the story is semi-comical.

Turhan

Someone
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Thanx to everyone that replied to my request for 'hellish' inspired work...you guys are a wealth of info.

My WIP is just about ready to go to hell. fun Fun FUN!

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
This might sound corny, but I think the Silent Hill world has a lot of good inspirations for a hell. Just see one of the movies if you haven't already. Something about being hunted by all those disturbingly warped creatures (especially with all the blood, rot, bugs etc. everywhere), combined with a setting full of dark corners where anything could be lurking, is just really unnerving.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Not a book, but a fine bit of comedy writing featuring a sympathetic protagonist -- Andy Hamilton's BBC radio series 'Old Harry's Game'.

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score
Not writing, but for inspiration look at some paintings by Hieronymus Bosch. Lord have mercy.

Okay! *google searches*

" Okay so this looks pretty...
JESUS CHRIST! WHAT IN THE NAME OF... ARE THEY.. IS THAT... WHAT THE #$%^!
DFVDSGSDGDSFGZ\FSGHFDJHGJGFKJFGKGHCKHGC"

I was not prepared for that. o.o

Last edited:

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
This might sound corny, but I think the Silent Hill world has a lot of good inspirations for a hell. Just see one of the movies if you haven't already. Something about being hunted by all those disturbingly warped creatures (especially with all the blood, rot, bugs etc. everywhere), combined with a setting full of dark corners where anything could be lurking, is just really unnerving.

This is actually a good bit of advice. The video games delve deeper into the psychological aspects of it--that Silent Hill is a personal hell, one that's different for each protagonist--but the movies are a good example of the Hell-on-Earth theme.

Neil Gaiman's Other People is one of my personal favorites. You can read it for free here:

http://holdinghandswithhades.edublogs.org/seven-deadly-sins-part-7-the-others-by-neil-gaiman/

Status
Not open for further replies.