Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
They said the woman had been broken apart at the joints -- torture, perhaps? Isn't that what happens when you're racked? (It wasn't clear to me if the damage had been done before or after death.)

Who was she, indeed. For her to be buried under the same church floor as a king, I can't think she was a common garden variety criminal or traitor -- or even just an ordinary person. Ordinary people wouldn't be buried within a church in medieval times, correct? (Especially given that there were apparently only two bodies there?)

I'd be interested in knowing how close together the bodies were. Next to each other? At opposite sides of the church?

rsiquet

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So I was thinking - now that they have Richard's DNA, that's one step closer to being able to clone the entire cast of one of Shakespeare's plays. I'm thinking this would be great for a humorous reality show of some sort. Maybe something like Truman Show meets MTV's Real World. You know, clone the whole band of them and then raise them in a castle. We could call it "Keeping up with the Plantagenets" or something.

How funny would that be?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Recurry it really would not work! - this is the Plantagenets. They'd take one look at each other and murder and mayhem would ensue. Well, yes, I suppose some may find that funny.

Cassandra all sorts of ordinary people were buried in churches if their family were of standing in the local community and had the money to pay for the burial. We just have to wait and see.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
By "not ordinary", i didn't mean " royal" -- i meant more that she must have had some standing, rather than being a laborer or a peasant. But anyway, it seems odd that only two people were buried in there. Old churches, if they have any tombs, usually seem to chock full of them. And when the other person buried there is Richard Iii...

Anyway. I want to know!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Cassandra. And yes, I also want to know!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I heard a rumor that they found a faded postcard in the skeleton's tasset pocket. It was addressed to Uncle Richard and it read: We are going on a fishing trip to Wales with Aunt Margaret and Cousin Henry but will be back at the Tower by week's end. It was signed Eddie and Richie. Do you think there is anything to it? --s6

Last edited:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that they found a faded postcard in the skeleton's tasset pocket. It was addressed to Uncle Richard and it read: We are going on a fishing trip to Wales with Aunt Margaret and Cousin Henry but will be back at the Tower in a week. It was signed Eddie and Richie. Do you think there is anything to it? --s6

Erm . . . no. Such things would not survive a decomposing body . . .

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Erm . . . no. Such things would not survive a decomposing body . . .

I heard it was in a ziploc bag. That might explain it. :D

*giggles uncontrollably*

*slaps self*

*returns to serious discussion mode*

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I heard it was in a ziploc bag. That might explain it. :D

*giggles uncontrollably*

*slaps self*

*returns to serious discussion mode*

You forgot to take your pills today, didn't you?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
*tries to respond*
*can't stop giggling*

OK! You did take the pills but with huge amounts of celebratory Champagne. Some one is so going to have a sore head in the morning!

my fifth hour sophomores bought the postcard story--without the ziplock bag!--s6

Ahhh but you are in Kansas! Just tell them to look out for the Yellow Brick Road.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
i'm just going to weep. they will be in charge in twenty short years--s6

:eek:

They'll...be in charge?

:scared:

Help us, S6! You and your kind are our only hope for the future! Teach! Teach like the wind!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
i'm just going to weep. they will be in charge in twenty short years--s6

No they won't! By then they would have heard about the ziplock bag and will be too busy doing a dig to find it.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
A hearse, a hearse, my kingdom for a hearse!

(wish I'd thought of that one myself!)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Am I allowed to make my 'he wasn't the first person to be found slaughtered in a Leicester car park' joke yet?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Am I allowed to make my 'he wasn't the first person to be found slaughtered in a Leicester car park' joke yet?

He wasn't "slaughtered in a Leicester car park". :tongue

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
He wasn't "slaughtered in a Leicester car park". :tongue

Ah, but he was slaughtered, and his body was found in the car park. Or how about 'wasted'? I could go with 'wasted'.

I do believe the concept of a Leicester Car Park has great comic potential.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
It MAY be his body - waiting for the DNA results.

If you really have to make jokes about a Leicester Car Park I suppose it would be cruel not to let you. On the other hand if they are bad jokes it would be cruel to inflict them on the readers of this thread. I shall leave it to your conscious to decide . . . you do have one, don't you? :tongue