Status
Not open for further replies.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Hey folks, I just thought I'd check in so you didn't think I'd fallen off the counter again. I haven't been drinking that much.

So how go things?

Well, I've written about 4000 words in the last three days, along with watching a lot of mad people sliding very quickly down sheet ice on tin trays from Lake Placid. I also made some bread and I may or may not have the second half of my Thursday bar of chocolate to eat. I can neither confirm or deny.

Yourself?

ETA: I did an AtCT too, you're in it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're quite right. Remind me to be more grateful for what I have. although what I have right now is swollen knuckle joints on both hands. You know I think I may have developed arthritis. I wouldn't be surprised at all. time to enlist more hands free stuff then.

Any suggestions?

Yes. Go to the doc and see if it is arthritis or tendonitis and how bad it is and get his advice from there :tongue

The chickadee drilling through sunflowers at my window feeder and making a window rattattat sound approves this msg ;)

ION, the sooner I get some stuff done, the sooner I can sit down to CE. And one can not sit down to study without hot cocoa :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes. Go to the doc and see if it is arthritis or tendonitis and how bad it is and get his advice from there :tongue:

:D I meant with the hands free of course, but yeah go to doctors. Remove pain. I'm fairly convinced it's arthritis. My major toe joints hurt last week, and now it's my hands, plus I have a family history of it.

Ooo, cyclo-cross riders on the other screen. Yummy!

I'm going to get voice recognition later on this week for the computer. I already have Skype, so that will help. Still need a real phone, but I'm going to look for a hands free version. Ooo, I wish it didn't hurt so much.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean real phone? Cuz smart phones have good speakers and also can connect to a bluetooth hands free ear piece...

And :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A land line? You mean that outdated thing that can't go beyond your house and you pay a ton for it (in the US at least) despite being away from it most the time? :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who wants hot cocoa? :Coffee: I warn you it's a bit bitter.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A land line? You mean that outdated thing that can't go beyond your house and you pay a ton for it (in the US at least) despite being away from it most the time? :D

That's the one, but we only tend to get one phone call a week so it's not worth having a mobile, and the phone tariff is free with our broadband tariff anyway.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Wonky in what way, and from which platform/browser?

Mac/Chrome. They're all huddled together. May be a screen sizing issue. I'd explore, but...coffee. :Coffee:

Hope the little man feels better soon, Stanley. That's no fun.

I like that Gina automatically assumes Hillary is talking about the forum buttons :D

Oh, my other buttons are working just fine, thanks. All shined up and spring-loaded. :D

My buttons are only wonky when stupid people push them.

:roll:

Wait a sec

:mad:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No worries Hills. It happens.

That's the one, but we only tend to get one phone call a week so it's not worth having a mobile, and the phone tariff is free with our broadband tariff anyway.

ION, I have homemade tomato and veg soup. Yeay!

All this is good :)

Except why you no have cheap prepaid cell phone for emergencies and dire moments??

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, time to treadmill. Maybe if I jump on the scale first I'll be motivated to walk .5 mph faster. Otoh, my knees dont comprehend motivation and start to complain a bit at higher speeds still.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, time to treadmill. Maybe if I jump on the scale first I'll be motivated to walk .5 mph faster. Otoh, my knees dont comprehend motivation and start to complain a bit at higher speeds still.

Instead of aggravating your knees by going faster, why not just do extra at your current speed. I mean your knees have to last a lifetime, no point in wearing them out early.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what neighbours are for :D

But what about when away from home and neighbors??

Instead of aggravating your knees by going faster, why not just do extra at your current speed. I mean your knees have to last a lifetime, no point in wearing them out early.

Yeah, I've been trying to do that too. The annoying thing is the only thing holding me back in speed is my knees. They should be able to handle the higher speeds by now, but they are cranky. Maybe in another month. I can prolly do short bursts at high speed to help condition them.

And since I am stalling, I shall tell another Warhorse story.

So at the show the other week, one thing I didn't mention about why I thought I bombed the canter class, aside from those little mistakes, is that the judge asked for walk and then asked for canter. 'Crap' I thought, 'This is no time to try and work on Walk-Canter.' We'd been having enough trouble with trot-canter, and though those transitions had been going really well recently, we hadn't done much Walk-canter. This is technically easier for a horse, but if they don't know what you want they will just trot really really fast, which then makes it really hard to get the canter, and looks ugly and feels ugly. Plus the Warhorse would likely get the wrong lead, ruining all the work I did in getting him to pick up the right one happily and calmly.

So at the show I just did trot for a half dozen strides, got settled, and asked for canter. It went well and we got that third place ribbon :)

On Wednesday when my friend/trainer rode him, she worked on his transitions and threw in a single walk-canter that looked really nice. She stopped, backed him, send him forward, and had him cantering after two steps of walk.

So on Friday I decided to try. All our trot-canter transitions were going well, so I did the halt-back-walk-canter set up. The backing help gets them on their hindquarters so they can push off into canter easier (a good walk is also important). He not only did it, but he did it easily. When we switched directions, he picked up the canter and floated along. I brought him down to a trot anyways by patting him and leaning forward (thus breaking the rhythm and encouraging him to slow to a trot). Seconds later, when I was shifting my weight oh so slightly he transitioned effortlessly into a canter, he was so happy. I laughed and eased him back down. We did some other stuff and I changed directions again and had him walk-canter to show someone his new skill. We did it, and after a few strides he gave a playful little kick. I had to push him on because he's not allowed to be naughty, even when in a good mood, but I was glad he was enjoying the new skill.

This is particularly impressive because a month ago he was having little meltdowns because he couldn't find his balance, was confused over my signals, and getting resentful. He had a few big meltdowns too which were not fun, and I was confused because he hadn't had this problem before. I think there was a slight pain issue mixed in that triggered it but definitely wasn't the whole story.

I should go riding today but I might wait til tomorrow...

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Morning! I'm up and dressed before noon! Must be Sunday.

I figured out where the critter is getting in, I think... its not actually in my wall, per se... it's in the roof of the old tiny sun room that abuts that end of the house. However, I suspect he's trying to get into my warm wall, since that sun room has no heat.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nuke him from space Gina :) One has to be sure.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
Good morning afternoon, Cantina.

Stayed up too late last night writing, but I did get nearly 3000 words out. If they're as decent as I remember, I might even be keeping them all. Shame it's all for a story I don't want to be working on yet.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

That is a great description. :)

ION, I got a full nights sleep last night but I feel like I've been running a marathon the moment I got out of bed. I've been up for 4 hours and still haven't had any hot coco. I must go fix that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.