The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
You're horning in on all my contests, Sai. First PARSEC, now WotF? :)

I'm polishing up my this quarter entry myself. The only problem is, if I submit it now, it will sit in limbo until the end of the Q.

I also need to get cracking on my next entry in the 'Writers of the Future' contest (the next deadline for that is at the end of June).

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm polishing up my this quarter entry myself. The only problem is, if I submit it now, it will sit in limbo until the end of the Q.

Send it somewhere with a short turnaround? Best (and worst?) thing that can happen is you accidentally make yourself ineligible for WotF with a pro sale (-:

-Suzanne

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Oy Izz, why'd you have to change the name of this thread? Now I'm going to have 'Hotel California' stuck in my head all day.

Oh man, me too, and I loathe the Eagles... )-:

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a tip. I know this, yet I did it anyway. I went to Submishmash because I made a submission, and while I looked at the one I just made to be sure it was there, I snooped around like an idgit.

Do not go to Submishmash when you have anything submitted and pull up the .pdf of your work. If you do foolishly go that far, do not read it.

Wait until the story is rejected to read your file again for errors to fix. Knowing that you somehow accidentally deleted a word and didn't catch it, and the editor of the journal will soon be reading this sentence in the final four paragraphs

Later that day, Joe held his around my shoulders.

DOES NOT DO YOUR HEART GOOD.

I don't know why I pulled it up and read it. But there it is. I've fixed it in the document, and I know that if the editor likes the story, a missing word probably won't change his mind. But still, it gnaws at you little bit. I'm not freaking out or anything. It's just an ugh moment that I could have while already feeling a bit ugh from a rejection instead of the ugh of asininery and anticipation I felt upon seeing it. You, short story writers and submitters, know exactly what I mean.

(I guess since it's in Submishmash I could withdraw it since it's not blue and resubmit, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for a single word-I don't know what shows up on their end.)

Shelley

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I truly believe the typo fairies wait until the envelope has been sealed, or the submit button clicked, to sprinkle their evil magic mistake-powder all over everything, because you can read through something a hundred times and there's nothing there, then, WHAM, suddenly there is.

It's the supernatural at work, I'm certain.

-Suzanne

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
New prey here!
Had a little nose through this board a few days ago, and I want IN. I've written my first weekly story and will submit it tomorrow - my first ever short story submission, despite having folders full of stories that no one's been allowed to read!

So...ello :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, and good luck!

Now you can check duotrope with the rest of us obsessives.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Yes, it's a slippery slope. But I can't stop myself...

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I'm new too. Started about three weeks ago.

So far I have gone from crapping myself, to excited, to crapping myself again.

So I don't know.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Good going, peeps!

Write like the wand! :D

New prey here!
Had a little nose through this board a few days ago, and I want IN. I've written my first weekly story and will submit it tomorrow - my first ever short story submission, despite having folders full of stories that no one's been allowed to read!

So...ello :)
:welcome: to W1S1, Isabelle! It's great to have you, and huge preemptive congrats on your first ever story submission! :snoopy:

Oh man, me too, and I loathe the Eagles... )-:

-Suzanne
:D--use the anger. Write the anger!

On a serious note: has anybody got suggestions for a Bar Name that involves the concept of checking in somehow?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Isabell, and good luck with your first submission! Now go and write/polish/submit something else before you hear back about the first piece. That's your homework. :)

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I've set aside this little lamb specifically for WotF. It is the only story I've written that broke my heart when I was writing it.

My plan is to set aside what I think is my best each quarter. WoTF stratifies, so I can see where I am among the amateur set.

This way, I can chart my progress. Or so that's my theory, anyway.

Send it somewhere with a short turnaround? Best (and worst?) thing that can happen is you accidentally make yourself ineligible for WotF with a pro sale (-:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I think writerly types are inherently bipolar.
Heh--I have a weekly cycle that goes from 'i love writing and honing my craft; words delight me and telling stories is the greatest thing evah' to 'my writing's crap-on-a-stick (and not even warm crap); i'll never be able to tell stories like all those first-tier writers.' Regular as sun rising and sun setting.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think writerly types are inherently bipolar.
Man, I hate to say it, but I kinda agree with this. :(
Heh--I have a weekly cycle that goes from 'i love writing and honing my craft; words delight me and telling stories is the greatest thing evah' to 'my writing's crap-on-a-stick (and not even warm crap); i'll never be able to tell stories like all those first-tier writers.' Regular as sun rising and sun setting.
This.

Only, I can't seem to go more than a few seconds or minutes without swinging between those two moods. I can hardly cross the kitchen or do something as simple as brushing my teeth without going back and forth at least twice. :rolleyes:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, we just had a tornado rip past. Which is unusual, because we don't get tornadoes in NZ. Did a fair amount of damage too (none to my home or work, though). Nothing on the scale of what's happened/ing over in the US, but i now have a new appreciation for what those folks have to cope with year in, year out.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crap! Izz, I'm sorry to hear that. Even a fair amount of damage is not good. I'm glad you and your immediate surroundings are OK, though.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Here's a 360 degree pic of some of the damage at a local mall (click and hold mouse button and move to rotate).

eta: and, thanks, soapy :)

eta2: the place in that pic is about a 3-min drive from my work.

Last edited:

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Must've been pretty frightening--for both you Izz and Isabelle!
Glad you and yours are ok Izz, congrats on your first submission Is :tongue!

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Thank you both! :) It's happened at a good time, I was in need of a boost today after receiving my first rejection for my novel...sigh. But it feels good to be doing something positive at the same time.